Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Interesting strategy for Bernie Sanders

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by OklahomaGator, Aug 15, 2018.

1. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    Bernie Sanders wins the Democratic nomination. Just don’t expect him to run with it.

He ran in the Democratic primary so he could win it, and then turn it down to run as an independent in the fall. That way there would not be a Democratic opponent on the ballot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I don't think "rigging" is the correct term here. He won the primary fair and square. It's basically the same deal as him running as a democrat in the Presidential election. He claims he is not a member of the democratic party, yet, when it's convenient for him he runs as a democrat. I think perhaps there is some vanity with him maintaining that "I" next to his name. In practice, I'm not sure it really means anything.

Theoretically if a democrat won the democratic primary, and Sanders ran as an I, that splits the liberal vote 2 ways. In 2012 the Republican got 25% against Sanders, so it probably doesn't really matter. But then again the governor of Vermont is a Republican. So in terms of strategy, it makes total sense for him to make sure he is the only liberal on the general election ballot.

3. wgbgator

wgbgator Very Stable Genius Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    This has been known for months. The Democratic Party in Vermont is all for it because as @BLING noted, it prevents the vote from being split between Sanders and a D.

5. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Political parties are nothing but money laundering ventures...with an agenda. If you don't like the use of your funds, stop sending the money. But it does bring to the front the old line "politics makes for strange bedfellows." I just wished the alliances that get formed would break sooner. Unfortunately fear rules the roost and so does branding. Too must at stake to have any true convictions. Better to live with the devil you know than the devil you don't.

6. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I don't know what rules the party might have, but technically they could run someone else if Bernie bailed out. There are no laws saying that winning the primary precludes the party from running someone else.

7. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    He should be honest and run as a dependent, not an independent.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    Considering he caucuses with the Democrats, I don't think the state party views this as a problem, particularly since he did the same in 2006 and 2012 previously. I know we'll be relitigating the 2016 Democratic Primary forever, but this really isn't much of a story.

9. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    It may not be news, but it is most certainly a story. He is manipulating the process, and denying voters the opportunity to have a democratic candidate if they wanted one. It is a practice that should not be allowed and they ought to change their primary rules.

10. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    Since he's done this before, wouldn't they know if they want a Democratic candidate to run against him, wouldn't they vote for another person in the Democratic primary? He hasn't been dishonest about what he was going to do or tried to hide it, he's done this literally every time he's run for Senate and he's told people what he was going to do and everyone seems ok with it, except some extremely online people who don't even live in the state.

11. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    It should also be noted that the national Democratic party endorsed him going back to 2006 when he first ran for Senate, so basically anyone running against him in a primary wouldn't have the financial backing of the Democratic party.

12. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    Another possible reason here, Vermont is just plain weird in what you can apparently do. Bernie's GOP opponent is also running for 5 other offices? LOL.

Campaign 2018: This Vermonter Is Running For 6 Statewide Offices. Here's Why

13. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    If people are dumb enough to vote for Bernie in the first place, I can't imagine party rules having much effect.

14. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    He ran in the Democratic primary, so how is that "denying voters the opportunity"? If they didn't want Bernie Sanders, they could have not voted for him. Instead, the democratic voters voted for Bernie Sanders.

I hate the way primaries work in general - at this point in many states and even Presidential politics it seems like the craziest people have the inside track to gain nominations (just need to make the most noise), but if he didn't run in the primary then you possibly get a 3 way race with 2 liberals splitting the vote and a Republican getting to consolidate the remaining votes. I think the only reason some are feigning outrage here is because they would want to see just that outcome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    He's also the candidate the Democratic Party endorsed in the race. Anyone running against him would not have had the blessing or financial support of the party, they would have been the "insurgent" candidate.