Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Interesting Article on Recruiting and Crunching Numbers

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by doctorg8r, Jan 7, 2019.

1. alvaro319

alvaro319 Recruit

Sep 10, 2018
    For CB, I'd guess McWilliams...... for WR, I'd guess Rick Wells.... For LB, I'd say Rayshad Jackson......

2. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2010
    This is exactly right.
    It is much better to let the player come to his own conclusions, versus being pushed out.
    We have to remember that if a kid feels like he's been unfairly pushed out and treated poorly then that information gets back to his family, his high school coaches and his friends back home!
    I wonder how Clemson does this? Are they the same as Alabama or do they have a different way?

3. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Legend

Dec 12, 2008
    Pushing someone out is telling them to take a medical hardship when they can play like Bama does. Telling a kid he will never play truthfully but can at a lower division is acceptable, because not playing crushes an athlete's soul. They should know the truth and pursue their passion where they can.

4. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    This is an interesting issue to me. I think scholarships should be 4 years and I largely believe these players are used by schools to make tons of money. Coaches, conferences, NCAA, and schools all get rich while kids "get an education" that is largely restricted to a few easy majors and risk their health.

But there is concern over "hurting their feelings"? Almost every person gets told, directly or indirectly, at some point in their life that they just are not a good enough athlete to continue on. Seems like a "join the club" moment. And all people fail at things in life - that is where you learn the most and really start to find meaning (if you are tough).

Just think it interesting how folks look at health/scholarship versus "loss of ability to play a sport".

5. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Can't say I disagree but it seems we have entered a new recruiting world of over signing and that's a tough balancing act sometimes.

6. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Legend

Dec 12, 2008
    It is an interesting topic. I'm of the opinion that the debate on a 4 year scholarships is a moot point. The athletes get recruited knowing that they are recruited to play football, not to become a Rhodes scholar, and the athlete would have it no other way unless they were getting recruited to Harvard, Yale, etc., and they also know that if they lose the joy of football and decide to ride the pine and excel in school, they are stealing a roster spot from someone who dreamed of getting on the field for their school. They don't want to do that. Giving the scholarship to the medical hardship player is where the protection of the player is needed.

7. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    There are several who may not play next year. We know about the health of Nick Smith. He is a medical case, keeps his ride, but does not count. I dont know the physical condition of TJ McCoy, but I do know he has issues. TJ is not NFL material, so he my end up as a medical. Then there are some I dont want to leave buy may for an opportunity to go play - Rick Wells, Kyle Trask, Brian Edwards, etc.

My opinion is that the limit of 25/85 is too low. More games. Larger population. Harder hits. More injuries. Should go to 30/100.

8. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We're going to relying on McCoy to play next year and yall want to push him out?

9. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Legend

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I must agree. Just feels like something special is brewing in Gainesville. Provided we can keep top shelf defensive position coaches and coor I think we are about to begin rolling

10. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Legend

Oct 8, 2018
    Staff retention is key. It takes time to really build these relationships in Florida. Especially the south. These guys have been together awhile. I hope it stays that way.

11. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Not trying to push him out, but I don't think we're really relying on him next year. He was 3rd on the depth chart at center and that's before the players who redshirted last year get in the mix.

12. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Legend

Oct 8, 2018
    Yep. I remember when I was 6 and they sat me down and had that fateful conversation. Lol

13. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I did not even imply he was being pushed out, much less want him to...please re-read what I wrote. I know he had some injuries and played very little in 2018. Just wondering if those injuries have taken a toll to cause him to go medical hardship. I would prefer he'd be A-ok, like I would w/ Nick Smith, but this is the world of football....injuries that last.

14. sd_gator

sd_gator All American

Jan 18, 2009
    Florbama
    [​IMG]