Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Interesting 9 part tweet about Mullen's roster building

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bobbybaker86, May 24, 2020.

1. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Since Tweets act funny showing here, ill just paste it

(PART 1/9) Mullen roster building discussion time.

From 2011-2017, Dan Mullen brought in a total of 31 JUCO and Prep school players to MS State. Here’s the breakdown:

- 1 RB
    - 6 WR/TE
    - 7 OL
    - 10 DL
    - 7 DB

(2/9) I started looking at this because I believe it can give some insight into how Mullen is looking at building our roster, now and in the future.

The main difference being that he’s now using the transfer portal for these additions to add experience and fill out positions.

(3/9) At least 1 DL was added 6/7 years. At least 1 OL was added 5/7 years.

This is continuing at UF:
    2018 - DL Shuler
    2019 - DL Greenard
    2020 - DL Cox, OL Reese

You can’t teach size. This will likely continue most years, with Mullen adding experience/depth in the trenches.

(4/9) The RB in 2011 was likely to cover an early roster need. One was added in 2010 as well.

At UF:
    2020 - RB Lingard

While people are frustrated with not landing a RB last cycle, I would not expect us to lean on the portal much more here based on prior history.

(5/9) No QBs were added this way. Similar to RB, I think Mullen has a very clear idea of what he wants at QB and his ability to coach the spot up.

His decision to not pursue Joe Burrow made this clear early on.

Barring necessity, don’t expect transfers in at QB for Mullen.

(6/9) DB was sporadic. One in 2011, two in 2013, one in 2016, and 3 in 2017.

We’ve flirted with transfer options and JUCO offers already at DB (Kelvin Joseph), but this seems like a spot where UF adds enough to not need it much down the line.

(7/9) WR/TE had 0 added from 2010 -2012, then 1-2 per year starting in 2013...the year Billy Gonzales joined up.

At UF:
    2018 - WR Grimes, WR Jefferson
    2019 - none
    2020 - WR Shorter, WR Pouncey

With Billy Gonzales in the fold, I expect this to continue.

(8/9) Does Mullen look at LB (none added) similar to QB? Maybe he wants guys who have been around the program for longer to be the QB of the defense. Leadership in the middle.

Unless adding athletic STAR or BUCK LB option like Diwun or Brenton Cox, expect 0 additions here.

(9/end) Based on his additions of experienced players at MSST, we can project JUCO/Transfer Portal adds going forward at UF, on average:

1-2 OL/DL annually
    1-2 WR/TE annually
    0-2 DB/ATH types as needed

Maybe 1 more RB, but none after that.

0 QB or ILB

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    The lack of lb’s added looks like it will continue here too looking at the classes he has pulled in. Lots of 6’”3 215 guys.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    I can definitely see the justification for the approach at MSU, and we could be the beneficiary of receiving some quality veteran players coming home to Florida. However there are just too many quality recruits in Florida at the positions of DB, WR, LB, and RB to need to reach to JUCO or portal unless the player is elite. In some years past OL and DL have been uneven, so I can understand every once in a while the need could arise. I agree that QB is the developmental position we shouldn't need a transfer.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. beemerthegator

beemerthegator All American

Dec 1, 2019
    In addition to being an excellent offensive mind and play caller, I think Mullen has the very critical "smart, strategical CEO" quality that is so critical for most of the very best head coaches. Nothing is done just going through the motions and I bet every JUCO/Prep school player and transfer portal player fits a very specific need or hole in the roster.

There was a time in the past when I think that, after a good coach was at a big time school (without recruiting prowess) for a few years, additions like these slowed a lot because the holes left by a prior unsuccessful coach were finally filled in through recruiting and player development. But with the transfer portal, and kids wanting to play, I think this process will continue to be prevalent on a continuous basis. Every school will lose kids who want to play, or want to play more. And they will fill rely upon the portal to fill the holes created.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Legend

Nov 30, 2016
    Interesting info. Who was the tweeterer, Bobby?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Thanks Bobby for sparing us 9 little blue birds to try and read. Interesting info. Like @kryptonite , I think UF shouldn’t have to resort to the same strategy used by less attractive schools like Mississippi State. But with only 2 1/2 recruiting cycles to work with, I see Mullen’s logic in drawing from past tactics that he has proven success with, while he builds back the national prestige of his program.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    The
    transfers he has taken so far seem to be takes at any given time. He hasn’t exactly taken reaches in the transfer area and they have all been productive for us.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Wins help but as we’ve seen the last two years really haven’t Got us anywhere near 2006 or Urbs. Making a final four appearance this year which honestly should be an expectation with the talent coming back would be huge for recruiting… Again, 10 or 11 wins is nice but anymore you have to be a final four team case in point look at
    Clemson
    Bama
    Georgia
    OSU
    Oklahoma-Seems to be the flavor of the month now even after that butt whipping they took in their college football playoff semifinal game. Just getting there is huge

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Transfers and juco players, if originally highly talented that is, are sometimes a blessing in disguise. Most of the time you are getting a highly talented kid who we get generally already much more mature than out of high school, much more physically developed than out of HS, and generally much more up to the speed of the college level and have a bit more football IQ by this time. It's like instant oatmeal or some shit, you get immediate gratification and impact. Schuler, greenard, van Jefferson, dunlap even grimes to an extent. All further along in their development. Something much needed the 1st few years when taking over a team coming off a 4 win season. Cant wait to see how the three 5*'s mullen pulled, Cox, Lingard and Shorter perform.

10. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Saw the bacon cross from ya. Was it me including Georgia on that list? I love Dan but feeling like this is our year to make the big jump and at least make a semifinal. I just feel like winning 10 or 11 is awesome and I would always take that but it doesn’t change recruiting much unless you can win enough to get yourself in a college football playoff game… kids want to see their name in lights and also know when the lights are on and only a couple of teams are left that they will be on one of those couple of teams still playing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Are you talking about this year? We still need to see if Lingard and Shorter can play this year. I have not heard anything at all that says university of Florida has officially submitted paperwork to get both immediately eligible which concerns me. Lingard has a shot not sure on Shorter.

12. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Getting the transfers drafted into the NFL helps attract as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. gator_n_sc

Oct 8, 2013
    Totally unintentional, cant even remember last ti.e I purposely rated one. Honestly as I read "bacon cross" I thought what the hell does that mean? Lol. I fixed it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Haha, all good. Thought maybe I’d catch some heat for including Georgia on that list it took everything I had to actually type in their name up there with those other schools… Not that they are actually that good.

16. gator_n_sc

Oct 8, 2013
    I'm not sure if they get a waiver or not but I would still like to see how they contribute once they hit the field. That post was mostly in regards to the transfers CDM has taken so far have all mostly been great additions.

17. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    They sure have. Love to see Lingard this year.

18. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    One of those things is not like the others:emoji_microphone:

19. GatorKenW

GatorKenW GC Legend

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL

UF is Tier 1 in the SEC, so it makes sense to go Portal over JUCO as you know these guys have quality reps vs P5 teams.

20. username

username Junior

Aug 17, 2017
    There are so many factors this isn’t accounting for though.

amount of scholarships available
    Amount of people transferring at the time (which due to the portal will be much more now)
    Positional needs
    Recruiting misses
    The allure of Miss st vs the allure of UF

and many more