Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Intentional Foul That Wasn't

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by g8wayg8r, Jan 8, 2019.

1. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    Any explanation on why the intentional foul on SC was changed to a foul? I'd like to think it wasn't because Frank Martin was about to explode. I'm not up on the rules this year but it seems odd that a foul that was clearly intentional was overruled. There was a big momentum change around that time.

Also, is hooking a foul? Silva hooked a defender in the second period right in front of the ref and there was no call. I'm confused. I don't like complaining about the officials but the whistle got a workout in the second half.

2. ApexNC

ApexNC VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    I haven't heard anything either. I wonder if the league office or even Coach White was asked about the reversal.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    They flubbed it, and I have no idea why. And yes... hooking is a foul. Silva does it A LOT!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Martin argued and got it reversed to just a personal foul. Announcers on tv talked about it being a new point of contention that the refs would be focused on this season. They were in agreement that the intentional foul was the correct call per the rule. Most, if not all of the top rated coaches are known for working the refs for calls. I know Donovan did. You can’t be a wallflower as a head coach. Not saying you have to be over the top and act like Bobby Knight but you have to offer some counterpoints to what the refs are hearing from the other bench. There’s a reason Mr.Rogers had a tv show for kids and was successful at it and why that same personality type doesn’t translate for basketball coaching.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. 1bobcat

1bobcat GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I was wondering if they called it that thinking it was a flagrant and then they found out it wasn't after looking at the video. And yes, Silva hooks all game long and it is rarely called.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Have you learned nothing over the years? The rules don't apply to silva. I'd be curious how good of a player he'd be if he was playing by the same rules as everyone else.

7. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Silva may be the best player in the country at disguising and hiding what he's doing. Dude gets away with anything.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. g8rnc

g8rnc Senior

May 13, 2015
    Silva got called for a hook in the first half, so they knew to call it. The refs missed many chances to foul him out in the 2nd half.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    When he is done playing basketball, maybe he will be signed to play O-line for Bama. Can't lose that kind of talent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1