Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Insights Eric received From Various Observers of Team Workouts

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by potomacgator, Aug 18, 2021.

1. potomacgator

potomacgator GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    • Like Like x 6
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 4
  2. UTGator

UTGator Junior

Oct 5, 2010
    Yeah that's great stuff from Eric and always appreciate whatever he gives us on basketball. I really hope CC chooses his shots wisely and doesn't live on the 3 point line just to prove his NBA prospects to scouts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Eric's report makes me happy and I truly hope that we may be deep-sixing the dribble-drive. I've never liked it, at least for our personnel. UK could make it work because they could bring in multiple future-NBA first-rounders every year. It sounds like Mike may be putting in something more like like a BD screening offense. Billy always could put a reliable offense on the floor (except right at the end when he had a dearth of shooters) because the system manufactured open perimeter looks. Once he also learned good half-court defense from Coach Larry S, we took it to another level. CMW has always been able to coach defense, but the O was usually 3 steps behind it.

I don't want to heap too-high expectations on the new guys, but it's great to hear that Myreon and Kowacie just may be stars for us.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Singaporegator

Singaporegator GC Hall of Fame

Expectations rising once again….Don’t be cruel….

5. CASontag

CASontag GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    I also saw this article on Assistant Coach Pastrana over at the official Florida Gators website:

Pastrana Selected for TopConnect Event
    Nice to see Pastrana getting this opportunity. Good for him and hopefully it helps him to find a head coaching gig down the road :)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  6. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Thanks Eric for the inside update. Being in the Nashville, TN area, other than GatorCountry forums, very little gets out.

7. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    I would be nice to see them play without a mid-season overhaul so they can peak late - and that inculdes injuries as well.

8. trump4life

trump4life Freshman

Oct 7, 2020
    Tallahassee
    Nothing on KJ?

9. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    My money is on the 5 minutes or more scoreless droughts that are a White trademark. Not falling for the new and improved offense hype again to only be let down by the same old Shinola.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. 67walkon

67walkon VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The silence on KJ is baffling. If he can't go, it seems like he or someone would say say. If he can go, it seems like he or someone would say.

Reading between the lines, my assumption is he wants to play, cuz what kid doesn't want to play? Hell, I'm older than dirt and still want to play! That suggests that the university is playing it very cautiously, based on things we don't know. The easiest thing for UF to do right now would be to announce that KJ will not be playing because of undisclosed medical issues. Since UF hasn't made such an announcement suggests there is still a good possibility he will play.

11. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Excellent writeup @Efawcett7. Thanks!

My thoughts on Myreon Jones seem to align with what you've heard, but the reports you've received on Kowacie Reeves far exceed what I was expecting. That is great to hear. I thought he looked a little bit "stiff" in his movements and lacked some fluidity and grace to his game, but I'm probably just looking too deeply into it. I did say it looks like he understands the opportunity in front of him, though, and it seems like that is holding true. He is going to work his tail off. You could already see that was in his DNA.

• Like Like x 2
  12. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Cautiously optimistic.

Very cautious.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I doubt the decision has been made. I would assume they will err on the side of caution, but guessing they will give as much time as possible to give him a chance to get cleared.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Yo Eric F - THANKS!!!!!!

needed the fix!

Like a shot of fine smack from the Harzz Mountains!!

15. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Smack? Heroin???

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Reference: "Pulp Fiction" - I myself enjoy a milder form of mind alteration such as - Anjeo Rum........... lol

• Like Like x 1
  17. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Lots of good info. Thanks

18. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Hey I am older than dirt, got two replacement knees, but......I want to play too. I am with you on KJ. Doctors at Shands have always errr on the cautious side, looks like they are drawing out the enevitable for the Gators. We are all hoping for his return, since he is the best player we have had since Bradley Beal. I wouldn’t bet on it though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Psilosybin, thank you. Though the mental set required is not to be found during recent Gator BB seasons!

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I'm the only person in America that hasn't seen "Pulp Fiction."

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1