Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Inmate who protected officers is executed

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Feb 23, 2020.

1. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    I think Timothy McVeigh could be considered one. He waived all appeals and asked for the sentence to be carried out rather than spend his life in prison. He did the bombing in 1995 and was executed in 2001.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Put me down as against death the penalty

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Legend

Apr 24, 2007
    Allow me to add that Beth Mowins has to call that game.

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Legend

Jun 14, 2014
    Some people who commit particularly heinous crimes certainly deserve death. But we gain nothing from that death as a society. It will not bring the victims back. Perhaps it sates a need for vengeance, but that is a hollow pursuit.

In the words of Gandalf

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement​

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    What Oklahoma said, basically. Where the inmate waives all rights to appeal, etc, knowing the final outcome will be death.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    Easy call for me. Im all about an eye for an eye. Murder someone? You need to die. The only question is, how good is the evidence to prove it?

7. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

But many of us hate the death penalty and abortion, but understand there may need to be a EXTREMELY RARE occasion for both.

8. tilly

...and lets keep this from becoming another abortion thread. This topic can stand on it's own.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Gotcha.

10. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Legend

Jun 14, 2014
    When do you think the death penalty is needed, and needed for what?

11. tilly

Not even sure. I said "may" need just to leave the door open for something heinous. OBL type stuff.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. mutz87

mutz87 Leon's getting larger VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    It would make sense that some people would choose execution over facing the horrors of spending the rest of their lives in prison. But it strikes me that in such cases, LWOP would def be their just deserts rather than the death penalty given the severe suffering and brutality of prison life and therefore, in a sense, capital punishment would be the easy way out.

13. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Legend

Apr 24, 2007
    I agree with you completely!

• Like Like x 1