Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Inmate who protected officers is executed

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Feb 23, 2020.

1. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    Odd story out of Tennessee. The guy, who had a hellish childhood, was sentenced to life for killing three people. Killed another inmate in prison. But you had a former judge and multiple corrections officers support clemency. Protected three prison guards from attacks by inmates.
    I'm not defending the guy, it's a tough call.

https://eji.org/news/man-who-saved-three-prison-guards-executed-by-tennessee/?
    3 corrections officers say Nicholas Sutton protected them. He was executed Thursday night - CNNfbclid=IwAR3bFdnE91FpdIE1DW-92sOPduohR-GG6fHzyrHb5Uis0c8u0_ecdsY7My0

2. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not a tough call at all for me as I’m anti-death penalty. It’s not like he would have been released back to society anyway.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. mutz87

mutz87 Leon's getting larger VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Not a tough call for me. Capital punishment needs to go.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Yep, easy call. Eliminate the death penalty.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Legend

Apr 24, 2007
    This is an issue that completely boggles my mind: One side of the aisle supports the death penalty and opposes abortion. The other supports abortion and opposes the death penalty. Just doesn’t make any sense to me.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  6. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    I was figuring his death sentence was for the earlier murders but it appears it was actually for killing another inmate which I wonder how often a death sentence is given for that. I may have granted him clemency from the death penalty if it was up to me since the death penalty was for stabbing another inmate and not some crazy killing where he raped and tortured a lady or kid etc.

7. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    I think I might be more for the death penalty if it was actually a deterrent. I'm somewhat neutral on its use if there is no surrounding controversy, but I really don't think anything about its application makes a whole lot of sense. It costs the state more money to execute someone than to keep them in prison for life (due to the appeals process), there are too many notable cases in which a person has been posthumously exonerated, it disproportionately affects marginalized communities (especially including the impoverished), and it makes certain that our criminal justice system unequivocally cares more about retribution than rehabilitation. It's the reality of the American dream that someone is more likely to be on death row in the U.S. than to be a billionaire.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    Pretty simple, a right to choose abortion is a protection of a women's right of determination over her own body. Being against the death penalty is an argument against state abuse of power. If the state tried to force abortions, then I'd be against those abortions.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    The death penalty needs the death penalty.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I’m ok with the death penalty conceptually, some crimes deserve the death penalty. But even in modern times there are enough cases, especially out of Texas and Oklahoma type states, that make you really question its use - and therefore question whether the govt should have that power.

So for me it isn’t so much the morality of using the death penalty as a tool, it’s the realization that not only is it not implemented perfectly, but there have been egregious injustices where states have still gone ahead and carried it out regardless of those questions. Such ridiculousness is what makes me lean towards abolishing it.

This actually isn’t one of those times. The guy took at least 4 lives. Whatever good deed he did or whatever his motive for saving the guards in this incident, doesn’t change that reality.

11. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Legend

Apr 24, 2007
    i just don’t see where a woman’s right of determination supersedes her child’s right to life.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2020
  12. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    Pretty much the same reason why men can masturbate and not get in trouble for killing a bunch of sperm. After all, sperm are alive and critical to the creation of what will be a human if birthed. I generally don't see this as a moral issue, i.e. I don't see it as killing a child even if the fetus would become one in the future. Late term, however, changes things a bit.

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I oppose our use of the death penalty as it stands now. I don't oppose the death penalty in theory. But it's used too often and haphazardly. The fact that we've executed innocent people is an indictment of the system. I saw a news article on this man back when they filed the petition. I'm sad to see that Governor Lee lacked the courage and decency to do what's right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    Hells bells, we actually have some common ground. I pretty much agree with this entire post. I think the Commonwealth of Kentucky has it right. Since 1976, we've only executed 3 people and 2 of those were voluntary executions. We have capital punishment, but are very reserved in our use of it.

• Like Like x 2
  15. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    The death penalty has always been a non contact sport for people with big mouths and no ability to see how killing anyone is wrong. We have prisons and that is good enough for me. Capital punishment is just another tie in to a barbaric past of the world.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    I do. Unless you are in.a fantasy as to the basics of human needs, survival and the societies ability to ensure success then you wont see the entire picture.
    Sex is a need that at times is done without thought of consequences. Abortions have existed forever due to various societal pressures with women being the sole recipient of a mans desire and lust turning her into a victim simply due to his lack of responsibility and ability to account for his very own actions.
    Abortions may violate your group ideological standards but your standards violate the need of a woman that basically is to not be given a scarlet letter because she became pregnant by a man that didn't care about his actions either.
    The following few labels given to women:
    1. Whore
    2. Tramp
    3. Poor white trash
    4. prostitute
    5. irresponsible
    6.dumbass tramp

statements given to men:

1. dude too bad for you
    2. should have had a condom
    3. how much did you drink?
    4. how did you hit that up?
    5. dude, hope your girlfriends doesnt find out.
    6. She is a whore dude
    7. She is out for your money so get tested. I hear she sleeps with any man.

Abortion is necessary until we are all robots.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. mutz87

Aug 30, 2014
    Speaking of which, in Florida, the executioner (I believe though there are two) are anonymous private citizens. On the day of an execution, FDOC picks them up at a predetermined time/location, away from their home. I don't know how they are currently selected, but FDOC used to run ads in papers to recruit them. I think this secrecy is particularly telling.

18. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Wait ... What is a voluntary execution?

19. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    I believe that any man who wants to rub one out should be required by law to take a cold shower and watch a baseball game first.

20. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Better check those United Way brochures again. I haven't looked in awhile.