Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Infrastructure Week Finally Here! House passes bill

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by citygator, Nov 5, 2021.

1. sas1988

sas1988 Senior

Nov 16, 2016
    Denver
    There you go again, being a reasonable republican. And they say/said this site is only the radical fringes. I have found more reasonable republicans here than anywhere else I've been on the internet.
    It is why I love this place, true discussions on the issues with people I might not agree with on a lot of things.
    We have our woke left and our Q right still, but they do not dominate this place.
    Thank you GC/THFSG for that.
    I'm not a huge contributor with written words, but I'm here almost every day, taking in both sides of the issues, and thinking about them from other's perspectives.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  2. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
  3. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    The 13 House Republicans who voted for the legislation last week are: Nebraska Rep. Don Bacon; Pennsylvania Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick; New York Reps. Andrew Gabarino, John Katko, Nicole Malliotakis and Tom Reed; Ohio Rep. Anthony Gonzalez, Illinois Rep. Adam Kinzinger, West Virginia Rep. David McKinley; New Jersey Reps. Chris Smith and Jeff Van Drew; Michigan Rep. Fred Upton and Alaska Rep. Don Young.

Republicans who voted for Biden's infrastructure bill come under fire from Trump
    CNN)Former President Donald Trump privately criticized on Monday night the 13 Republicans who voted to pass the $1.2 trillion infrastructure bill,questioning why they would give President Joe Biden a win when he's struggling in the polls, according to a GOP source.

His comments came a day after he publicly lambasted the House and Senate Republicans who voted for the legislation, including Senate GOP Leader Mitch McConnell.

"Very sad that the RINOs in the House and Senate gave Biden and Democrats a victory on the "Non-Infrastructure" Bill," said Trump in a statement on Sunday. "All Republicans who voted for Democrat longevity should be ashamed of themselves, in particular Mitch McConnell, for granting a two month stay which allowed the Democrats time to work things out at our Country's, and the Republican Party's, expense!"

4. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I’m sure there are many examples throughout history of a President NOT taking a victory lap after a successful legislation, and instead strictly giving credit to the few bipartisan voters to cross over. Care to share… one. Just one single example of that happening?

I would say when Biden signs the legislation, he should ask for some of these bipartisan senators/reps to stand behind him. That is what usually happens and is supposed to happen if the two parties were functional, and it would be appropriate to thank them there. But the idea a President isn’t going to take a victory lap and instead give credit to the opposition party… well that’s just some extreme naïveté. I don’t even believe you can think that.

BTW if these people did stand behind Biden, they’d take even more attacks from the deranged far right than they already have for their vote. So it’s possible they don’t even want such credit.

5. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    This is probably not good news for the BBB. If Manchin is saying this now, it is likely Democratic moderates in the House will be saying it as well when the CBO scores comes back.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Possibly I could vote for a democrat….Manchin seems like a decent dude.

7. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    How do you have any idea what the CBO will say? Anyway… who you going to believe, 15 Nobel winners or Twitter?

Biden's Build Back Better plan will "ease" inflation, 15 Nobel prize economists say

A group of Nobel Prize-winning economists believes President Joe Biden's multi-trillion dollar Build Back Better plan will "ease" inflation—despite concerns expressed by Republicans and some moderate Democrats that it will do the opposite.

Democrats in Congress are attempting to push through a $3.5 trillion "human infrastructure" bill via the budget reconciliation process, but they are facing internal division with some moderates opposed to the high price tag. As some of these moderates raise concerns that the package could lead to greater inflation, Republican lawmakers are uniformly opposed to the Biden plan.

But 15 economists—all who have previously won the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences—have argued precisely the opposite.

"Because this agenda invests in long-term economic capacity and will enhance the ability of more Americans to participate productively in the economy, it will ease longer-term inflationary pressures," they wrote in an open letter dated Wednesday.

8. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    The CBO score isn’t going to be great after everything Pelosi threw into it after the BIF passed. And Manchin said he isn’t interested in budgetary tricks that lower the score.

You can probably find 15 Nobel prizing winning economist that will agree that Bill X will do Y for one side and another 15 that will say the opposite. The bottom line is that it doesn’t matter what they say, only what Manchin, Sinema, and some other Senators believe. If they don’t think it will ease inflation between now and next November, it doesn’t help.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Challenge accepted. Post them here.

10. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    It doesn’t matter what any economist says, it only matters what Manchin, Sinema, and a couple other Senators think. We could spend 30 pages debating economic theory and who got a Pulitzer in what field but it won’t make a lick of difference since it’s all up to a couple folks in the Senate and the House.

Manchin may delay Biden social spending plan over inflation

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Success has a thousand fathers, but failure only one.

12. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    That’s not what she said. What she said was if it was just Trump who said to take something, but not the scientists, then she wouldn’t trust it. But if it was supported by the scientific community than she would.

PolitiFact - Biden, Harris distrusted Trump with COVID-19 vaccines, not the vaccines themselves

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte

14. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    He’s basically a corrupt lying coal man with a D by his name. Does this technically make him a “moderate” in a 50-50 Senate? I guess, but I could think of several Republicans I’d vote for over this scumbag. If you are going to be “owned” by a special interest, give me any one other than coal. Literally any other one. A corrupt D with coal ties is probably the best WV can give us. I look at Manchin as more - it’s WV - it is what it is.

15. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Swamplizard

Swamplizard VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    News reports and Congressional press releases have used differing numbers to describe the bipartisan infrastructure bill. Depending on the aims of the source, the spending and ultimate cost of the legislation can be made to appear larger or smaller. Many of those taking credit, or casting aspersions, are blurring the line between “new” spending contained in the bill and spending already budgeted, but unlocked by the legislation. Besides political spin, the actual price tag for a piece of legislation is subject to numerous economic and political variables. Official “scores” of spending bills project the impact the legislation will have on spending and revenue over the next 10 fiscal years. Estimating the costs of programs or the amount of tax revenue generated one year from today, let alone over the next 10 years, is fraught with uncertainty. For these reasons projections and press releases around the costs of the infrastructure package should be taken with a grain of salt.

https://www.taxpayer.net/infrastruc...-1-2-trillion-bipartisan-infrastructure-bill/

17. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Seriously, the Lincoln Project? I would have thought their Tiki Torch stunt would make them PNG for the next ten to twelve years.

You were asking about the CBO score. This is from the NYTimes:

But the director of the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office said on Monday that the I.R.S. proposal would yield far less than what the White House was counting on to help pay for its bill — about $120 billion over a decade versus the $400 billion that the administration is counting on…

The White House has begun bracing lawmakers for a disappointing estimate from the budget office, which is likely to find that the cost of the overall package will not be fully paid for with new tax revenue over the coming decade. Senior administration officials are urging lawmakers to disregard the budget office assessment, saying it is being overly conservative in its calculations, failing to properly credit the return on investment of additional I.R.S. resources and overlooking the deterrent effects that a more aggressive tax collection agency would have on tax cheats.

Biden’s reliance on I.R.S. enforcement to pay for $1.85 trillion bill hits a snag.

18. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    https://www.nationalreview.com/the-morning-jolt/the-cbo-confirms-biden-lied/

For much of the fall, Joe Biden, members of his administration, and congressional Democratic leaders such as Nancy Pelosi have insisted that the Build Back Better bill “costs nothing.”

You heard counter-arguments that the bill costs a lot more than nothing from many, many conservatives and Republicans, including Rich Lowry, Phil Klein, David Harsanyi, Dan McLaughlin, Charlie Cooke, and the Editors.

Now, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office has declared that Biden, Ron Klain, and Nancy Pelosi are wrong and that my colleagues are correct:

The director of the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office said on Monday that the I.R.S. proposal would yield far less than what the White House was counting on to help pay for its bill — about $120 billion over a decade versus the $400 billion that the administration is counting on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Well if you don’t like that try this…
    496CF967-18A4-4774-8029-FA3D30E13B6F.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  20. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You see this all the time when talking about paying for something. Why do we have to have an infrastructure bill to have more agressive tax collection agency. Why don't we do that anyway? You see that many times on medicare laws, we are going to crack down on medicare fraud to pay for this bill. Crack down on medicare fraud without the bill.

• Agree Agree x 2