Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. ATTENTION VIP MEMBERS: Your favorite full color wall calendar with Gator sports schedules is on the way to you in the mail! Expect it in a week or two at most. Questions? Ask here.

Infowars booted off Facebook

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by citygator, Aug 6, 2018.

1. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Whatever helps you guys with tingling legs sleep at night I guess. You truly believe these giant tech companies are immune from government threats and coersion?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  2. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    There’s no evidence suggesting the Michael Brown death was racially motivated and targeted... There’s no study that suggests that it was...

Yet, you claim cases like the Michael Brown incident as evidence of racial bias resulting in disparate enforcement... Yet, you deny that bias results in disparate enforcement when I cite examples pertaining to social media...

According to you, Sarah Jeoung would have received the same treatment from Twitter had she merely substituted “white” with “black” or “Jew.” You believe that she would still have a job at the New York Times if she said that “blacks are the problem” as opposed to whites... because after all, she apologized right?

Please, if she simply substituted “whites” for “blacks” her career would be over, apology or not...

Denial of that... quite frankly is not worthy of my time or conversation.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  3. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Good topic for another thread. Souls Sarah Jeoung be kicked of Facebook, Twitter. And fired from the New Your Times. It has nothing to do with the sick, cruel. despicable and indefensible lies that Alex Jones spreads, does it? But, it does bring on classic “whataboutism.”

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Does this mean that you
    are missing Infowars on Facebook or Twitter?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Show me where I've claimed that. Quote me using Michael Brown as an example of racial bias and systemic racism.

I actually said the opposite of that in this very thread. You seem to be adopting the Donald Trump method of debating. When the truth is inconvenient, lie.

What I asked of you is to provide evidence supporting your speculation. The difference between us is that I've never run away from providing data supporting my allegations of systemic racism. I have many times posted a number of studies with excerpts of the data supporting my beliefs. Feel free to do the same.

6. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Whattaboutism is not the same as simply pointing out hypocrisy... I’m not saying it’s okay one way, so it must be okay another... I’m saying that certain members on the left, including a certain lawyer on this thread... apply a different standard of proof when it comes to validating or disproving claims...

In other words, maybe he’s wrong here, maybe he isn’t... but he is being a hypocrite...

7. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I’ll make this very easy for you...

Say that there is no sufficient evidence in the Michael Brown case that suggests his treatment was racially motivated... that there is no sufficient evidence suggesting his death was racially motivated... and you’ll prove that part of my post wrong... Otherwise, you’re just dodging...

I don’t need to provide you with anything... no evidence would change your mind... because at the end of the day, you can’t stand conservatives and it pleases you to see mainstream platforms censor them... and Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube have every right to do so...

I’ll research some studies... but I’m not following up with you on this, because, frankly, you don’t care...

8. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    You want to call me a liar... why don’t you show me where you said that bias results in disparate enforcement...

I know you said that hypothetically speaking, if I were right there would be systemic bias/racism... not a double standard... but if you agree that bias results in disparate enforcement, then the only way to deny disparate enforcement as it pertains to social media, is to assert that they have no bias...

You really want to claim that Silicon Valley run social media companies have no political bias?

9. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    Okay.
    Then, I realized that you had never actually offered up evidence showing what you kept alleging, so I asked you to provide evidence supporting your allegations.

There is insufficient evidence to suggest that Michael Brown's case was racially motivated. However, I understand why the people of Ferguson were angry in light of the DOJ's findings that their law enforcement engaged in systemic racism. Now, can you find any post where I brought up Michael Brown while discussing systemic racism? I bet not. You made accusations without any proof that ended up being false.

It's also good to know that when pressed for evidence, you are going to refuse to provide it because "my mind is made up." I'm not the one here who keeps accusing you of saying things you never said.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    It is exactly “whataboutism.” There is no different standard of proof. There are still plenty of bigots on Facebook and on Twitter. This thread is about Alex Jones and Infowars and your attempt to convert the removal of an irresponsible, sick, cruel man who uses private platforms to incite hate and violence against victims (maps to houses of Sandy Hook residents) for his own profit from social media platforms into a debate over purported “liberal hypocrisy.” Despite your denials, your vehemence and attempts to draw parallels make it quite obvious that you are sympathetic to Jones.

11. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Well, good to know "hate speech" is just a term that's definition is entirely subjective to one's personal political bias... That's great for the country... and great for social media... :emoji_upside_down::emoji_upside_down::emoji_upside_down:

If you're saying that Social media censors speech on the standard of "hate speech" which is entirely defined by their political bias, then you've already agreed with me...

You're saying that the standard for social media... is the leftist standard under the guise of "anti-hate speech..."

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  12. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I'm sympathetic to his circumstances, not who he is as a person, or what he stands for politically, and who he is as a media figure...

I don't see why I can't dislike Jones, while supporting his use of social media as a platform. Those two concepts are mutually exclusive... Just because you think someone is a horrible human being, doesn't mean that you should shut them up and ban them from every mainstream platform...

That said, he should definitely answer for maps to the houses of the Sandy Hook residents... That's approaching a call to violence which isn't protected by the 1st amendment...

13. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    He is answering. The owners of the platforms kicked him off. He abused his free access.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The first amendment isn't really an issue here. The social media sites' rules are the issue.

I'm not sure why this thread has been going on for so long (and don't care to go back thru), but the bottom line is that his trash was breaking the rules of multiple sites, and precisely because of the extremely inflammatory nature of what he publishes. And as you say, with some of it like Sandy Hook approaching a call to violence.

What is surprising is not that he got booted, but that it took as long as it did. IMO.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I agree... I was simply referencing the Sandy Hook victims' houses.... that may be grounds for legal consequences IMO, social media aside.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    They should say that this is specifically what he was kicked off for...

I would have stopped contending this a while ago, had somebody simply said that...

I still believe that social media has a tendency to simply censor political speech that they don't like, mostly from the right, under the guise of hate speech... But if this is specifically why Jones was banned, I have no problem with that...

17. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    In regards to Michael Brown, I look forward to you correcting Black Lives Matter every time they mention his name as a case that exemplifies systematic oppression. I also look forward to correcting them regarding, "Hands Up Don't Shoot." But I've never heard a negative word come from you regarding Black Lives Matter. I wonder why...

:emoji_upside_down::emoji_upside_down::emoji_upside_down:

18. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Twitter criticized for suspending popular LGBTQ academic @meakoopa
    Twitter blocked searches for LGBT terms like "bisexual," and called it an error
    Do you have a list of people who were banned unfairly, or is this just a feeling you have?

We've got the one woman upthread who mimicked Jeong's posts as a kind of social commentary, and Twitter already admitted that was a mistake on their part, anyone else that you think was unfairly banned, esp. if Twitter didn't later admit they were wrong about it? It'd be interesting to look at what they said and why you feel it wasn't ban worthy.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    I agree that's quite likely. I asked you to provide proof of it, though. And I disagreed with your insistence that it was a double standard.

I agree with the goal of Black Lives Matter. I'm not going to waste my time correcting trivial things. Funny how you still haven't admitted you were wrong, even after saying you would. You threw out a bunch of false accusations and are yet to own it.

20. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I wouldn’t characterize false accusations of racism as trivial... there’s weight in that...