Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Influential LGBTQIA+ Group Demands Biden Strip Accreditation From Christian Colleges and Schools

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorplank, Nov 24, 2020.

1. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Hard to see this argument as being anything but the argument of modern day pharisees. There are right teachers and wrong teachers. Sanctified and unsanctified. Apparently, learning algebra from the unsanctified will lead us all to damnation.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Emmitto

Emmitto GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I will be teaching math next year. Project 1: pi clearly refutes God, prove it or to the mines!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Who did You vote for in the last two presidential elections?

4. pkaib01

pkaib01 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, but theologians will say that pi is irrational.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    You're advocating for discriminating on the basis of a person's religious beliefs. Something tells me that you oppose that when people are discriminating against YOUR type of Christian.

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits employment discrimination. So yes, it is quite literally a civil right for employers not to be able to discriminate against you on protected grounds.

Are said schools going to fire all sinners or just the gay ones? Regardless, that's a contractual issue that would arise after the acceptance of the job.

To teach religion? Sure. To teach math? Nope.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Hall of Fame

Apr 25, 2011
    The principle is true, but not absolute necessarily. I do think many go astray because of their teachers. There are obviously many teachers, so no singular teacher is going to shape the student. I think all of them will affect the student in one way or another, though. If the teacher a student really admires as their best teacher ever has an anti-Christ worldview, then it is likely the student will imitate the teacher in that way. That is why a school policy of born again teachers only is a valid policy for a Christian school to have. We don't need leftists thousands of miles away dictating to Christian schools what their hiring policy should be to best win students to Christ. That is the hen guarding the hen house because Christian schools are cultural centers that don't brainwash students into anti-Christ worldviews where a large percentage of the students end up voting Democrat.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  7. gatorplank

Apr 25, 2011
    A religious institution should be able to make decisions on the basis of their religious principles. A person who holds the beliefs and the worldview of the institution is fit to do ministry for that institution. A person who does not hold the beliefs and the worldview of the institution is not fit to do ministry for that institution. That is what religious freedom looks like.

I would not be upset if a Catholic school said that I was unfit to teach at their school. I would not be upset if a Jewish school said I was unfit to teach at their school. I would not be upset if the Private Academy Of Love, Tolerance, and Compassion decided I did not have the correct worldview to teach at their academy.

8. Emmitto

Emmitto GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Sure, but that doesn’t restrict your routes in any meaningful way. The College For Being Gay only has so many positions open. And I do mean OPEN.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  9. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    A school is not a church. If you want to make decisions based on your ministry, you can do that with your church. If you are hiring a math teacher for a school, you should be basing your decisions on education, not ministry. If you don't want to do that, fine. But you get no federal accreditation, federal funds, or federal benefits. You can seek accreditation elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gatorplank

Apr 25, 2011
    The Christian school I worked at was a ministry. It was created to be a ministry. We don't need leftists thousands of miles away telling Christian schools that they can't use their schools as ministries to win students to Christ. That is not freedom of religion.

11. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    What if the teach is a Christian, who still struggles with the sin of homosexuality, but is walking with the Lord in their daily lives, living a life marked by repentance? Would the specific sin they struggle with keep them from serving as a teacher?

• Like Like x 1
  12. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    I think I read that religion lines up with science. Lolwut? The Bible is full of absolute nonsense.

13. Emmitto

Emmitto GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Those “leftists” are never thousands of miles away. Disregarding the zealots, as I do with the Paula Whites of the world (despite the fact that those types get a LOT of run, and at the apex of society), someone who simply feels that astronomy is not astrology is not a threat to you.

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    Cool. You can have your freedom of religion without federal funds, accreditation, or benefits. That's your right. And it's the federal government's right not to support or endorse your school.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. gatorplank

Apr 25, 2011
    It would need to be determined on a case by case basis, but they would have to acknowledge that it is sin, and they would have to be having victory over that sin. If that was the case, then I could see it.

There are some sins where even one slip up is enough to be done. For example, a teacher having sexual relations with a student can end a teacher's career in public schools. In almost every Christian schools a teacher who commits adultery or has sex outside of marriage if they are single would be fired as well. So, one slip up and the teacher would be done. That is not to say that they can't be forgiven, but someone who is committing biblical abomination is not fit to be influencing children towards Christ.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  16. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Here is the issue: either the goal of the institution is to brainwash people (to use your words) into believing a particular religion or it is to teach math, science, English and literature, history and social studies, foreign language, etc. If it is the first, then the government shouldn't be supporting it, as that is the function of religion and the state is not supposed to be paying for people to spread their religion. If it is the second, there is no reason that a qualified person that is willing to abide by the curriculum should not be hired.

• Like Like x 3
  17. gatorplank

Apr 25, 2011
    The goal is to teach every subject, but do so from a Christian worldview. So history can be examined from a Christian worldview. Societies can be examined to see how they obeyed God or disobeyed God. Their worldviews can be analyzed to see how similar they were or were not to Christianity. English can be examined from a Christian worldview. Characters can be examined from a Christian worldview. Themes can be examined from a Christian worldview. The author's viewpoint can be examined relative to a Christian worldview. Science can be examined from a Christian worldview. Theories can be critiqued from a Christian worldview. So the subjects are taught, but with the worldview assumptions of Christianity. The Bible commands us to take every thought captive to Christ, so every subject can be taught in that manner and viewed through a Christian lens.

So, this dichotomy you have created is not necessarily true. Christian schools teach all the subjects you would learn in a secular setting, but teach them in a Christianly way and try to teach them as God himself would think of that subject.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  18. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    Hard pass. This sounds like something the Iranians would do, if you replaced Christian with Muslim.

• Like Like x 2
  19. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    That is because you have no understanding of the First Amendment. The problem is with you.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    And if that curriculum is able to meet a threshold of rigor and the ability to impart basic knowledge and a person is willing to teach that curriculum, they should be able to teach that curriculum. I will point out that my experience with people who interpreted "history from a Christian point of view" is often shockingly morally relativist (i.e., people 150 years ago shouldn't be held to the moral standards of today) such that it makes me think it isn't really about Christianity.

• Like Like x 2