Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Indefensible.

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by tilly, Jan 28, 2020.

1. GrandPrixGator

GrandPrixGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Unless he fakes death threats, CMW isn’t getting canned for 1 bad year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. jpullen

jpullen Sophomore

Apr 3, 2007
    Tallahassee
    I have stopped watching them play. To be honest, the lack of cohesion as a team has been evident since MW became coach. This year, it has ramped up to intolerable levels. MW is our basketball version of Jim McElwain. SS needs to take action now and get is a coach that will help the players to reach their potential. This year is shot!

Offer Billy Donavan whatever it will take for him to come home. If not BD, then get a coach of his caliber.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 GC Legend

Nov 26, 2013
    Lol well good for you sir. There is no need to say I told you so right now. With that said, who is the next coach going to be and tell me how many games he will win? What about the next one after that? Lol..my point is, Mike White won the offseason with the influx of talent so I could see how there was hope from other fans. Now that we see the season is slipping away, it is obvious your observations was correct.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    White is hanging around Cam too much. He loved to enjoy losing

5. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    We have underachieved our talent levels the past 2 years prior to this one, although not nearly to the same degree.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    we do start to play different when we have a double digit lead (tentative), just like we play different when we're down double digits (aggressive)

Perhaps one day we'll figure out how to play aggressive no matter the score

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    and it's relative. Few of us would be calling for his head if he had an untalented team, but he has arguably the most talent he's had since he joined. THAT is what has people so f&%$# pissed. We waited 8 months, in some ways years, to have a group this talented. Now we SUCK + we're going to lose our best players to the draft and/or graduation. THAT is why this year was so important. And we're absolutely, 100% shitting the bed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    AN has probably the best speed control of any player on this team. He can play at more speeds, more paces than anyone. That he decides to play at a slow, methodical pace is to me BY FAR more an indication of our coach's preference than any other indicator. Just look at Ques walking the ball up the court today. Would anyone ever suggest that Ques isn't quick? No, but he's playing how White wants him to play. Otherwise a freshman wouldn't dare play at a pace the coach didn't prefer. Or ask him to play.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gulfgator

gulfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gulf of Mexico
    Watching this team, I guess we'll have a few guys leaving for the "pros" after we get a game or two in the NIT. What a send off.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  10. jareduf

jareduf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bala Cynwyd, PA
    He deserves to be gone if we don't make the tournament, but not sure SS will make that move at the end of this year regardless. Imo, if you feel that White isn't the guy, than you move on so your coach isn't recruiting as a lame duck.

11. tmape01

tmape01 Sophomore

Apr 18, 2007
    This empty arena and the complete lack of positive development may leave Stricklin no choice.

Nobody on this board save for a handful of people actually attend games, and we are the exact people who should be the biggest supporters. Apathy is a poison that kills, and in the modern sports landscape having your biggest fans completely tune out is a disaster.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. gatordd

gatordd Premium Member

Mar 15, 2010
    the kids aren't having any fun and thus the fans aren't either. Losses aside, the program is just not an enjoyable product anymore. Lewis dancing in the first half and gets reamed by White going into the tunnel. They are a mirror image of coach. Tight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    THIS!
    Watched the Duke/Pitt game. Duke-drivers were either savvy/athletic enough to navigate the trees and get off a good shot OR there was a perimeter guy to kick it to. And Pitt looked like us v Baylor. Got it down to 2, then a stop, empty trip...stop, empty trip....back to 7...back to 12, game over.

14. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    Marketing 101: Angry fans is bad. Apathetic fans is worse.
    I'm a Gator and will go down with the ship and never be apathetic, but this team is hard to watch.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. bakaduin

bakaduin GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    People wonder why all the top talent go to the same schools.....this is why....I’ve got to think Scottie Lewis would be looking way more impressive playing for Coach K or Cal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Looks like I picked a bad week to quit sniffing glue.

I did not see the game (will probably watch the Youtube "highlights") but it sounds like we had instead of our usual "one step forward, one step back" routine we are now stuck in reverse. I am afraid this is more than a sign of immaturity. How a team shows up at least looking like it wants to compete (ala LSU) and now it appears to be mentally checked out is quite baffling.

I have known from last year and now this, this is AN's team. While he isn't taking all the shots, his overall play and demeanor sets the tone. Ques is the prime person who gives him a breather but we all can see that Ques is not going to be a viable alternative this year. I hope everyone remembers our great PGs in their freshmen years. They were NOT that good. I am beginning to believe this year's incarnation is set in stone.

But back the team's mental "funk". One of the most difficult things to me in this current men's basketball environment is the haze of a professional career. I used to say (SOO long ago) that a player of any caliber should keep their heads down and grind until the end of their sophomore seasons. After that they can pop their heads up and see the landscape and what should be their next step. These days we are going into every season wondering who is going to "make it" to the next level, especially the Top 50 ranked players from HS. It is an epidemic, on both the player's and fan's sides.

AN seems to be a good example, although it is merely a view from afar and not any real knowledge. He was flirting with O-A-D last year and while he came back more insightful, methinks his mental makeup is still around the next step rather than what he needs to do with THIS team. And if his demeanor isn't to be a leader and this is his team, well we get what we are seeing right now. It is what it is.

But to a much bigger issue, where are Mann's and Lewis's heads? Do they think they are a step away from their NBA dreams or are they prepared to still grind until they have truly learned their craft? If they are then they should come back because they both are not ready. Not even close. If it is more about immaturity then one more year to show how they have grown is almost mandatory. But again, if they are not prepared to grind through the next season and are still are stuck in the "NBA mode" then it is all moot. If you are not here mentally then you really should not be here physically.

Mark me down as this year is not going to be much fun and my need to watch games from beginning to end is probably going to stop. Probably tune in in the beginning and once I see "that mode" I will find something else to do. I can't imagine, unless there is a mass exit at the end of the season, that Mike won't be back next season....albeit with a VERY sober SS looking in his direction. Mike has a good class coming in as well as a nice group coming back (hopefully). If he makes changes in his coaching staff (probably mandatory for no other reason than optics) and the mental makeup changes then he gets to stay. Otherwise he isn't looking like the solution. It is what it is, whether we like it or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't mean to throw this out there as an excuse for anything that we can be doing better, but it should be noted that Mississippi State put out a decently talented roster on the floor last night. They are not a bad team talent-wise:

FR - Molinar, .8911 (3-star), 11 minutes
    R-FR - Stewart, .9430 (4-star), 29 minutes
    SO - Perry, .9891 (4-star), 37 minutes
    SO - Woodard, .9782 (4-star), 34 minutes

R-SO - Oduro, ???? (?-star), 2 minutes
    JR - Weatherspoon, .9891 (4-star), 30 minutes
    R-JR - Ado, .9268 (4-star), 30 minutes
    SR - Carter, .9453 (4-star), 27 minutes

93.5% of their minutes came from 4-star talent
    43.5% of their minutes came from 4-star upperclassmen that came up through their system

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Informative Informative x 4
  18. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

And they are well coached. I think that is my growing concern. We had better talent on our floor... a 16 point lead... ESPN projected us at 95% chance to win at the point of the game....yet, here we are again.

I am in Mike's corner, but it is becoming a much more uncomfortable corner when you see these teams with lesser rosters but good veteran coaches beating us in games we should win.

If we miss the dance. I will be ready to leave this corner.

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    Personally, I think fans have seen enough, I anticipate dwindling crowds for the remainder of the season. This has to concern SS. Here we have an updated facility and more seats empty than filled. Money talks. I do think SS will be hesitant to fire MW in that last year he gave him an extension. Should MW be retained I'm almost certain he has a pow wow with SS and changes will have to be made otherwise MW's neck is on the chopping block.
    It would not surprise me to see some transfers going into next year. If a player transfers do they have to sit out a year?

20. partdopy

partdopy All American

Feb 1, 2012
    I wasn't overly excited about the hire to begin with, but have mostly stayed out of the basketball forum as it's hard not to criticize him which isn't really productive.

Any fan knows we've lacked quality big guys who play with power and really dominate in the paint for years, hard to remember the last time we had one. Instead we've relied on three point shooting and other garbage.

Even in the NBA three point percentages are around 33% depending on position (according to shot mapping data from 2014). Meanwhile, in the paint that percentage rises to above 60%. That's nearly double. I'll gladly allow a team to shoot 3s all day, rebound their misses and take the 4-3 point trade.

Mississippi State had 32 rebounds to our 26, but 23 defensive rebounds to our 16 and 9 offensive to our 10. We took 21 3 point shots and got 7 (notice it's close to the 33%). This means that we allowed them to take away 7 more second chance shots than we took from them. Hard to win that way. This, combined with other things, has been an annual issue with Coach White.

It's easy to solve. Rebound. Stop shooting 3s all day. Recruit quality power big guys. Frankly I've stopped watching because it's frustrating to see the same problem year after year. Haven't watched a game in 2 seasons, but pulling those stats from ESPN sure looks familiar.

Edit- looks like Mississippi State also had a higher than average 3 point percentage last night, that makes getting defensive rebounds even more important. Need to capitalize on every miss. Instead we likely missed most of the rebounds, and took the ones we got down for low percentage 3s. Not a winning formula.

• Informative Informative x 1