Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Inauguration day Jan. 20, 2021

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Jan 20, 2021.

1. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    at least he gets to look cool

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. obgator

obgator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    LOL..all the devilish details is in that “almost” part of your sentence.

But other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    You mean because I didn't realize Lady Gaga could sing that well? You're right, I need to do better.:cool:

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    imagine if someone told you we would be arguing if trump was the catalyst for His maga crowd storming our capital attempting to thwart our democratic process. I’m soooooooo thankful trump is out of office.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Ultimately, it's not what happened. There was a riot on the Capitol. And we've had near universal condemnation of the events on the Capitol from like every mainstream conservative I know both in media and in Congress, and even in the White House. Mike Pence in the midst of all of this defended Joe Biden as the next President.

It was a shameful event that every mainstream conservative I know wants to distance themselves from.

Also, it's not fair to say Trump directly called for violence because he said "fight" and "fight like Hell." Biden essentially said "fight hatred" in his inauguration speech. That doesn't mean punch Nazis. To read it that way is an incredibly bad faith way of reading it.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    So to be clear, whenever we have inflammatory language that people listen to and respond with violence, we can hold whoever used that language as responsible for the violence. Is that our standard moving forward?

7. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Bob Barker nailed it as Biden

8. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    “The mob was fed lies, They were provoked by the president and other powerful people. And they tried to use fear and violence to stop a specific proceeding of the first branch of the federal government which they did not like.”

Mitch McConnell said on the Senate floor.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    Welp. It's the end of an era.

Let's hope it's the beginning of a whole new chapter of American prosperity.

The economy is coming back. A vaccine is being distributed. The Bucs are in the NFC Championship again. We have a whole lot to be optimistic about.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Deep State Rino.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Provoke: "stimulate or give rise to (a reaction or emotion, typically a strong or unwelcome one) in someone."

It is true that Trump inflamed the emotions of the crowd based on a falsehood. That is a bad thing.

It is not true that he called for the crowd to commit violent acts. He literally said the opposite.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    i read that whole speech. You are right that he did at one point in the speech call for peaceful protests.
    But this was after he yelled for months about how the election was stolen, made all sorts of false claims, tried to force people to his will, said nothing as his supporters openly contemplated martial law and ignoring the constitution with Pence, refused to concede or offer a smooth transition, told them they had to show strength, to March on the capital, and then after getting them all whipped up, “be peaceful”. Plus he didn’t even condemn it really until it was over.

Kind of hard to not hold Trump at least somewhat personally responsible. The last two months are exactly why it’s always so vital, and yes american, when the loser concedes quickly and graciously. This wouldn’t have happened had he had Aegean the slightest bit of decency and love of country.

• Agree Agree x 7
  13. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Good grief. Obviously if there hadn't been months of setting these loyal followers up, deepening their distrust of our election system, and then after the election, continuing to incite the anger claiming it was stolen, just saying "fight like hell" would not have elicited the same response. It's a new day for this country, one of positivity instead of vitriol, just go with the flow and be positive for God's sake.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007

“something is really wrong, can’t have happened and we fight, we fight like hell, and if you don’t fight like hell you’re not going to have a country anymore....“

Fight-verb- take part in a violent struggle involving the exchange of physical blows or the use of weapons.

15. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    A few thoughts and observations:

Joe gave one helluva heartfelt speech. When all is said & done, it might wind up being the best he ever gave
    ...and I've never been fond of his public speaking.

I don't believe he used malarkey once. That's a shame.

Kamala gives much hope and inspiration for so many. Sad that some will not understand why. Loved Joe's emphatic recognition of her.

Amanda Gorman might have stolen stole the show.

JLo rocked it.

[EDIT] I knew I should have went back and watched it again. I got interrupted today by contractors cutting a hole in my concrete driveway.

Lady Gaga, nailed the NA. Even better than the Superbowl. Her flair for dramatic, miming seeing rockets, and then turning and lifting her arm toward the flag made me laugh but also gave me a chill. I didn't see this earlier.

Anywhats, she's sicko talented with those pipes.

Garth was terrific. I'm not much of a country fan, but his No Fences album brings back a lot of wonderful memories.

I'm not religious but even I was loving Reverend Beaman's benediction. I keep listening to him, I might find myself back in church one day :)

Truth is, this inauguration was cathartic for me. Didn't think I was even going to watch it since I was more interested in just seeing Trump and his malignant presidency be shown the door. I even broke out the whiskey again and had a glass as I watched his exit.

Yet, I'm glad I watched it all, even if it makes me a little sad given how much four years of people's lives have been wasted in many ways resisting the massive wrong that was Trump's presidency or on the flip side, so many of my fellow countrymen and women and some family and friends having fallen for the demagogic con man.

Need to get them back into the fold of democracy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    As it was happening I believe he tweeted asking for them to be peaceful.

I agree with everything else that you said, completely except for one thing: "We should hold Trump somewhat personally responsible (for the violence and rioting)."

This was evidence that what a President says matters and a President losing graciously matters. It was all a really really bad look for Trump. That's still different from the claim that he called for violence and is thus directly responsible for the violence.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. FutureGatorMom

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I took the day off and drank champagne, enjoyed the music and Lady Gaga's amazing voice, but JLo brought me to tears singing America the Beautiful. I'm happy. :D:D:D:):):);)

• Like Like x 4
  18. FutureGatorMom

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Direct quote from Joe Biden's inauguration speech:

"Uniting to fight the foes we face: anger, resentment, hatred, extremism, lawlessness, violence, disease, joblessness and hopelessness."

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Yeah, if a person has a cult-like following and that person spends months whipping his followers into a frenzy with lies and anger, we can hold that person responsible for the violence that ensues.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1