Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

In a funk over the Mullen hiring

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by unofficialgator, Apr 23, 2018.

1. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    If they know so much then why is there such a wide discrepancy between each service? According thy holy 247, Mullen's class was significantly better than Zook's Rival's class. But according to Scout, Zook's class was better than Meyer's Rival's class. Yet Meyer's Scout class was better than Mullen's 247 class. There is no factual ranking here... it's all just opinions put into numbers.

I don't see any reason to be so nitpicky over this. Even if we believe in your averaged 'data', then Mullen was a grand total of 1 below Zook and 1.5 below Meyer. Oh, the horror. Within an inch of two of the greatest recruiters of all time, and neither of those guys had to deal with coming off a 4 win season much less nearly a decade of complete ineptitude.

Sorry, but Mullen's first class was really, really good.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. acegator

acegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    The recruiting services are the only thing we have in regards to this. So, until there is something better...

I just find it funny when you so matter of fact say it was the best transition class ever, even better than Meyer's and Zook's when that is not the truth. Would I love it to turn out to be? Sure. I hope they all go in the first round. But let us be real here and take off the O and B glasses. Mullen's class was the third best between them. And even Muschamp's class was better than Mullen's. So between the 4, it puts Mullen at 4th. Muschamp's were ranked 12 by Rivals and 11 by Scout.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

enjoy

4. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Legend

Dec 12, 2008
    I get your point that you are trying to find some indicator that applies to each class between the three, but that presumes that the services ranked players consistently through the years and that rankings indicated success of players as well in 2002 and 2005 as they did in 2018. Also, some years just have a lot better talent among top teams than other years, and the number 14 class could be better than a number 10 class of a previous year. The comparison of one year to another just by rank order across multiple years does not work. Recruiting services do not take into consideration filling needs as well.

We have the 2002 and the 2005 classes nailed down by their success, and it is clear that Zook's class was far superior to Meyer's despite Meyer's higher rating in the averages. Many of Zook's recruits were simply better than their ranking led us to believe, and Meyer took a bunch of players that were fragile and were mostly injured and did not compete. Consequently, I don't think it makes sense to use those ratings to suggest that Mullen's is worse by the average given by recruiting services. However, we do have a lot of early enrollees in the 2018 class, and we can see their progress into the two deep and can see how many have already made it into the class. So far the 2018 is doing way better than Meyer's first class did. I would put my money on Mullen's class blowing the doors off Meyer's first class.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

It's my opinion that Mullen's class is the best of the three. To say that is not the truth, is being dishonest in of itself. You're merely basing your view on other people's opinions. You can say they've done the research, but the fact that you're adding Muschamp's first class just proves the point; there was barely a contributor in that class. The best player in that class was, BY FAR, the punter! That class was an absolute disaster. But you'd prefer it because it was ranked higher??

And again, your precious rankings don't even include a 5 star WR and a 4 star WR both of whom will likely play this year. That's how skewed these ranking can get. The best players might not even be included whereas players who might not even make it onto campus are included. What sense does that make?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. StrengthAndHonor

StrengthAndHonor All American

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa Bay area
    Gatorsbreakdown, on youtube, did a show a couple of days ago about Mullen's chances of success at Florida. Former MSU QB Matt Wyatt was the guest and gave some interesting insight.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  7. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Could you summarize please?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. acegator

acegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010

I can roll with it being your opinion that Mullen had the best transition class. If I would have made that blanket statement, it would have been because there was support in the form of the recruiting rankings indicating it was the best class. That is where you and I differ. That is what caused me to respond. In this case, all the experts say it’s the fourth best out of four and you think it is the best. Now we are on the same page.

We can’t do after the fact comparisons yet, because we don’t have the after the facts on Mullen’s class. They could all go in the first round or they could all never play a down. I also agree with you in that after the fact, Mullen’s first class may be the best. But it might not be. It is to soon to tell.

9. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    How do these troll threads always end up so long?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    It's all Mac's fault! We needed to recruit more of this last season......

[​IMG]

11. UFGator05

UFGator05 GC Legend

Dec 12, 2009
    Florida
    Tell you what though, this Burrow situation is a bad look for DM. Very Mac like.

Wow if we lose him to one of our rivals for next two seasons

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. RayGator

RayGator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. ncg8or

ncg8or GC Legend

May 28, 2007
    Lose him, as in we ever had him? Seems just a few months ago we were celebrating Mullen beating out Ohio State, FSU, and Auburn for the QB of our dreams. The good old days!

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. cluckugator

cluckugator VIP Member

Aug 16, 2007
    I haven't read all 9 pages of this thread, but after reading your reply the OP is clearly trolling.

If you have Percy in real life, you pretend / act like you have Vick in Madden and run the same run play / scramble until you score 80 points. Would be foolish to do otherwise...

15. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    My favorite was running the option on NCAA Football. I would run option left and then option right and then option left...

Is your name related?

[​IMG]

16. StrengthAndHonor

StrengthAndHonor All American

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa Bay area
    Here's the link. It's a 45 minute episode. Lots of positive, and potentially some negative, particularly regarding recruiting, but that depends on how you interpret it. Out of respect for the producers I don't want to give all the content away, but it's worth a listen when you have a chance:

17. Briang8r

Briang8r GC Legend

Dec 5, 2011
    St. Petersburg, FL
    I like this podcast, and listen to them regularly. Nice job by a couple of Gator fans in putting it together. This was a good episode. I agree, the recruiting bit was a little concerning, but the rest of what the guest had to say seemed pretty encouraging. Thanks for posting.

18. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Give me a massive break

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    OP recruited you to continue the troll right?

• Agree Agree x 1