Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

In a funk over the Mullen hiring

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by unofficialgator, Apr 23, 2018.

1. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Legend

Apr 24, 2007
    Don't believe that it was Mullen or bust from the beginning.

Is Mullen a Top 5 Coach? Doubt it but time will tell.

The fact is that Kelley and Frost turned us down. There wasn't a line of proven successful coaches at Stricklin's door wanting the job.

Mullen was the best available man and we got him.

2. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    If he recruits well and beats SOW I will agree. We just can't lose the recruiting wars and continue losing to our chief rivals. Mullen's biggest challenge IMO is getting some statement wins, building some performance momentum, and becoming an "it" coach.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. n210sgator

n210sgator Senior

Jan 11, 2015
    Neptune Beach
    I’m your captain!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Step into my time machine

• Like Like x 1
  5. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Yeah, but are the other two guys any better for sure? Besides urban, dabo, and saban, they're all a risk.

Noles took a guy below Mullen, Georgia went the same route we did twice and won the gamble that we lost. Who knew that pumpkinhead freak could recruit?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. I think Stricklin personally wanted Mullen, but he did the right thing professionally by going after Frost and Kelly as well.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Legend

Apr 24, 2007
    I still can't believe that Miles didn't get hired by one of the programs making a change. Maybe he's sitting tight in Baton Rouge while they figure out foolish it was to fire him and hire Orgeron.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. acegator

acegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    I have no idea where you are gettin your data. According to the recruiting services its Meyer, Zook then Mullen.
    upload_2018-5-6_22-26-29.png

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 4
  9. ofmgator

ofmgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Either a troll or Sunshine Gator who will jump on and off the wagon depending on win or lose.

10. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Legend

Dec 12, 2008
    I don't think your data really captures the essence of the classes. For example, there was no 247 sports in 2005, so it relies on Scout's old star system. Also, if you are familiar with the players' careers, go look at the class Meyer got in 2005. That was probably the worst recruiting classes in decades for UF. It was just really, really bad. There were a few that never made it to Gainesville, some that got kicked out, some that never made it onto the field, and most made no impact on the team. There were just three somewhat quality SEC players in that class and only in two positions, RB and WR, in Moore, Nelson, and Murphy, that you should be able to recruit over when you recruit in the state of Florida.

Mullen's first recruiting class is way better, feels needs, and has players ready to make an impact in year 1: Jones, Burney, Dean, Pierce, Banks, Bleich, Copeland, Watkins, and Pitts, and maybe Chatfield, Langham and Gouraige. Sometimes the class rankings do not tell the whole story, especially when the rankings are based on high-risk players.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

It's recruiting... all just opinions. No 'data' needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Not to mention this year's rankings don't even include the WR transfers Mullen got, who might be the best 'recruits' we signed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. MarineG8R

MarineG8R All American

Nov 19, 2014
    I feel like this thread is just missing some zit popping. Come on, you know I'm right.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Legend

Dec 12, 2008
    Also not to mention, it left us room for more grad transfers that could be useful, for this year at least if not two years, in a grad transfer QB and a grad transfer OL.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

you couldn’t be more wrong

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    I couldn’t agree more ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    third that

• Like Like x 1
  18. MarineG8R

MarineG8R All American

Nov 19, 2014
    You guys are no fun.

19. acegator

acegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    Actually it relies on Scout and Rivals. By either Scout, Rivals or the average of the 2, Mullen's was third. You can't compare after the fact data yet ie so and so got kicked out because there is no comparative data ie we don't know 5 years later who worked out well with Mullen's class. At this point it would be facts as to who worked out in Meyers class and speculation vs Mullen's class since it has not happened. Every one of Mullen's class could be drafted in the first round or they could all contribute nothing. What we can compare, is before the first game mark and in that regard, Mullen's is third. I hope they all go in the first round.

20. acegator

acegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    Yeah. Why pay any attention to those silly willy guys who spend all day looking over player's stats, videos, live games and head to head play for their lively hood? What do they know...