Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Important: Clapping after a plane lands

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by citygator, Jul 1, 2019.

1. wgbgator

wgbgator King of the Tuck Tuck Sound Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Its inborn, except at a Jeb Bush campaign event

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Rocinante

Rocinante Junior

May 28, 2013
    If that creates boiling rage with this woman, I’m wondering if she is safe to be around. Chill out Bi**h. It’s a cultural thing and I mostly see it on Latin American flights, so she’s either easily triggered or she’s a bigot unaccepting of other cultures.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Same here on the end of flight messages. The one that really annoys me is their long ass pitch for their shitty credit card.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Funny you name this flick as it's the only one I ever wanted to applaud.

The Road was equally silent, but I had no desire to clap.

6. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Since planes don't always land, I have no problem with folks who feel compelled to celebrate a successful landing... even if it's just a nervous release or in jest to lighten the atmosphere.

I'm probably biased here, but as the grateful son of a major air disaster survivor, I'm always relieved when my family members arrive alive.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    There should be sarcastic clapping at the beginning to celebrate the end of all the spam and the previews.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Who knew?
    Here's why people clap when planes land

10. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Saving Private Ryan

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    If clapping is an annoyance on a flight, I suggest mixing in some
    [​IMG]

12. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007

Both....

13. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I remember an aborted landing into Orlando Intl. that the pilot had to pull up, go back around and give it another go. Scared the living begeebuz out of us on the plane. There was applause when we landed safely.

• Like Like x 1
  14. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I had a "go around" last year for the first time in many many flights, but nobody seemed particularly scared on the plane. I was annoyed because I had to take a leak and was waiting till we landed where I didn't have to use the nasty airplane toilet and could use a slightly less nasty airport toilet.

15. crescent_beach

crescent_beach Junior

Sep 25, 2016
    I too find the forced humor from a certain airline’s (Southwest) FAs to be cringeworthy. But your average mouthbreather that flies once a year just eats that crap up.

FWIW, the pilot announcements are a combination of airline and/or FAA requirements. Just like there has to be a demo of the stupid seat belts and life jackets, either via video or live demo. FAA dictates that it has to happen. If we don’t make the required seat belt or before landing PA the airline is at risk for getting significant fines.

That said, there are certainly narcissistic pilots and FAs that go way overboard with the weather, route of flight, etc. I’m a fan of using as much brevity as possible... people already know the weather from their smartphones and don’t care that we’re gonna fly over New Orleans.

We certainly can’t hear people clapping from up front, at least in the 737. I’ve witnessed pax clapping a few times on Ryanair over in Europe... it’s bizarre.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Personally, I think you had the perfect excuse...

17. flg8rfan

flg8rfan All American

Jun 15, 2007
    Gainesville
    This is so true. Every time I go to PR they clap, I don’t even bother to get annoyed anymore.

Side note, it’s funny how many people need wheelchairs to get onto a Southwest flight and are miraculously healed mid flight.

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Sometimes the narcissistic pilots are cool though. One interrupted me watching some video on my ipad to tell me the space shuttle was launching as we passed and we would be able to see it from the air. That was probably the coolest thing I have seen from the air. Also one time I was flying home from Panama and the pilot only made an initial climb to like 8000 feet and a bunch of turns rather than just a few and heading for 30K+. I was thinking there might be mechanical problems or something and we were turning to go back. But eventually I looked out and the dude flew the length of the Panama canal at low level to give us a view and then climbed out as we hit the north coast. He never said anything because I guess he would probably get fired for doing something like that even though he had clearance, but it was pretty cool.

19. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    my pet peeve is when pilots are talking and it sounds like they're talking through a drive-thru speaker.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I hate it when the pilot says, "We'll be landing soon, I hope."