Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Immigration activists follow Sinema into bathroom

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by OklahomaGator, Oct 4, 2021.

1. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...n-sinema-bathroom-immigration-reconciliation/

From the article:

"Anger and frustration over Sen. Kyrsten Sinema’s refusal to fall in line with other Senate Democrats and pass legislation central to President Biden’s agenda boiled over on Sunday, not in the marble halls of the Capitol but in a bathroom in Phoenix.

Activists followed Sinema into a bathroom at Arizona State University, where Sinema is a lecturer, as they urged her to pass the reconciliation bill that she has held locked in negotiations.

As she was exiting a classroom at ASU’s campus in downtown Phoenix, activists from the organization Living United for Change in Arizona, or LUCHA, confronted Sinema, telling her that “we need a ‘build back better’ plan right now,” invoking the name of the $3.5 trillion domestic policy bill that would expand the social safety net.

“Actually, I am heading out,” Sinema told the activists as she walked into a bathroom. One person followed her into the bathroom, standing outside the stall that the senator entered, while another person stood at the entrance, recording the interaction."

There are fanatics on both sides of the political spectrum. Following people into the bathroom with cell phone cameras is over the line in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. slightlyskeptic

slightlyskeptic GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2021
    Not uncommon. It happens all the time whenever a conservative speaker goes to a college campus. It's the new MO. Don't like their opinion? Disrupt their freedom of speech, dox them, steal their signs, and as Auntie Maxine Waters says, “Let’s make sure we show up wherever we have to show up. And if you see anybody from that Cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and you create a crowd. And you push back on them. And you tell them they’re not welcome anymore, anywhere. We’ve got to get the children connected to their parents.”

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Not cool, respect these people’s space.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. ForeverGator

ForeverGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Threat to Democracy

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Hall of Fame

Dec 31, 2016
    We live in a world without scruples and I have to wonder how many fetish sites incidents such as this will wind up on.

6. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Way, way over the line. Not acceptable behavior or tactics in the society I want to live in.

7. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    They did not help their cause. Probably generated more opposition than support and made it easier for their opponents to ratchet up more bad behavior.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. slightlyskeptic

slightlyskeptic GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2021
    Kinda' like BLM?

And exactly what "bad behavior" is happening from the right regarding this ridiculous spending bill?

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  9. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I’ve had business discussions at the urinal. Stalls are off limits though. I’m not discussing crap with someone crapping.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007

11. officelife

officelife Senior

Aug 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  12. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    To some.

13. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    To some.

14. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    She went into a public bathroom and stall knowing she was being recorded. I'm not sure what expectation of privacy she had at that point as long as they weren't videoing under or over walls or doors. There was no video recording of her while she was in the stall.

Unacceptable behavior, but not illegal.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I know people in Arizona who volunteered for Sinema and helped get her elected. I believe some of these young people did too. The people I know are furious with her. They aren't just furious because she's reneging on campaign promises. They're furious because of her behavior.

What do I mean? She's not holding town halls. She's not meeting with constituents. Her office isn't answering calls and is letting them go to a voicemail that is full. They aren't offering real responses to emails or letters. I think one of the biggest part of the jobs as an elected official in this country is to hear your constituents out.

Because Sinema is refusing to do that, I have no sympathy for her here and am not about to scold these people for trying to express the harm she's doing to them. I believe one of the people speaking is a DREAMer. Imagine spending the past decade stuck in limbo not knowing when the shoe will drop and you'll get deported back to a country you don't know. Now, imagine volunteering for a politician who promised to help you, helping her get elected, and then her completely blowing you off.

I expect most of us would be very frustrated. Now, imagine that politician is a pivotal vote to solving the problem that has left you in legal limbo for all that time, but that politician still refuses to take your calls or meet with you so that you can express how important this vote is. Would you go to a public place and try to speak with her? And if she immediately fled to the bathroom, might you go in there, say your piece, and then leave?

Maybe you wouldn't. In any case, it doesn't change how I feel. Sinema isn't treating her constituents right, and if this is what it takes to be able to express how important this vote is, and how the wrong move can harm you, to her, so be it. Sinema is the one in control here. She could have stopped briefly, offered to set a meeting and have a conversation with them, and then went to use the restroom. But instead, she tried to blow them off again.

People like Sinema are everything that's wrong with politics. She is somebody who has ample time to speak with wealthy donors but cannot spare a moment to speak with the average person she represents. She provides terrible constituent services. And generally gives off the impression that she could not care less about the people who helped to elect her. They pay her bills. The least she can do is give them the time of day. So I don't have any sympathy for her. She backed people into this corner.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Correct. It's not illegal to film a stall door. They didn't try to slip the camera inside the stall and film her in there. That's what the statute prohibits.

17. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Biden tweeted that it is all part of plan... He missed "the" or something like that. Typical...

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  18. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Actually, I am heading out,” Sinema told the activists as she walked into a bathroom. One person followed her into the bathroom, standing outside the stall that the senator entered, while another person stood at the entrance, recording the interaction."

Straight from the last episode of "The Morning Show". How embarrassing.

19. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    He should've tweeted "covfefe" instead

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Some people seem to have the view that politicians should get to shit on their voters and not hear about it or be bothered by them about it. She makes time for her corporate donors on the regular, but how many town halls has she had?

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1