Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Img coach leaving

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by twodaparty, Apr 5, 2021.

1. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Heard he took another job. Can’t be a bad thing for us as it’s not like we have been super successful recruiting the academy. Hopefully someone pro Gator is hired.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017

Fuuuuuukkkkk!! He JUST took the job last year & was building a good relationship with UF

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Weren't most of our problems early on with them was weinke was their coach and the stench he left was like the valet's b.o. from that episode of Seinfeld?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Every time you wipe the slate, you see the old chalk less and less. Good for our program moving forward.

• Like Like x 1
  5. r0r080

r0r080 All American

Jul 31, 2019
    All though I have no substantive proof, I have long suspected IMG being part of a 3rd party scheme with University bag men and is why you see so many of these kids end up at the typically suspected schools of the same and thus consistently lure top talent to their respective programs.

The program Acosta went to in Texas, hasn't had a winning season in 4+ years, and I don't know how you call a coach that basically coaches the nations best all-star HS football team for 1 season, one of the nations best coaches.....(particularly during a season which the pandemic negatively affected all sports in general)? A big part of recruiting is with the relationships that are developed with HS coaches, but I'm not sure him being at IMG this past season deserves the weight your giving it, in as far as the Gators gaining in-roads from a recruiting standpoint? Wouldn't be a bit surprised if the former HBC at Gorman HS, who is now working with the Sarasota HS football staff, that he ends up at IMG to assume the HBC role there.

6. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    what im saying is that the old admin prior to him, for whatever reason, wasnt too keen on UF. But once Acosta got there, relationships were being built and it sucks that he’s gone. Not saying him being gone will result in the next HC pushing kids away from UF but losing what we were building sucks.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Chompsuey

Chompsuey Senior

Oct 17, 2011
    He went to Del Valle. Del Valle coach, who's son is 2022 5* Caleb Burton, went to Lake Travis but not as a head coach. Klubnik is the qb for Lake Travis. Pretty strange on both ends unless Lake Travis coach Dodge plans on trying the collegiate level again soon.

8. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I think we agree here. IMG is an academy owned by a sports and entertainment talent management company. That should tell you something.

While they publicly state they don't offer scholarships, I personally find that a little hard to believe. It may not be traditional scholarships, but they must have a means of getting "financing" to get some kids in who can't afford it or who they want. Could it be that for some kids, IMG essentially trades tuition in exchange for "management rights"? Help kids "pick" the right university for them (meaning the school that's willing to pay IMG the most money). Could it be that some of these kids agree that if they make the NFL, IMG will represent them? It's pretty clearly a shady deal.

At the same time, having somebody there with Gator ties can't hurt.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    IMG problems start with the fact that IMG is a freaking massive agent company (all forms of entertainment) attracting elite kids from all over. So, knowing what their focus is (getting kids PAID), the following work against us:

- Most players are out of state, and usually are going to commit to schools closer to home
    - All the top guys are a part of the elite bagman game: think UGA, Bama, LSU, Clemson, OSU, etc. Schools that go above and beyond for the top tier guys that expect payment (not all do). Not saying we don’t partake but I think we don’t have the infrastructure for this level. I think we can get top guys just not this way, and IMG’s best all expect that IMO.
    - Coaching staff was unfavorable. They had heavy FSU influence for years but it seems like that’s finally mitigating.

That’s all to say that I think we can start getting guys, but staff is only one component and I wouldn’t expect us to get anyone elite or from far away. Perhaps our NIL approach will help on the payment front, should be interesting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Lol... "Meet the new boss... same as the old boss..."

It the ownership and people involved with that cesspool organization that are to blame. Look it up and open up your eyes.