Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

I'm voting for Bernie!!!

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorpika, Aug 18, 2019.

1. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Under Sanders, median income would hit $82,200, economist says

No president has figured out how to hit 5% growth since the 1960s, but Bernie knows! He's my candidate!

• Funny Funny x 4
  2. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I would trust Gerald Friedman before I'd trust Peter Navarro. Fortunately Friedman will never actually be an economic advisor to the President. Unfortunately Navarro is the current president's most influential economic advisor.
    Trump trade adviser Peter Navarro: Tariffs aren't hurting anyone in the U.S.

3. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
  4. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    To pay for this, He would have to increase taxes, which would redistribute income to lower income groups and boost the flow of money through the economy. A 1950s and 1960s type economy. But these plans would need support from people who will be told they they will not benefit from the proposals, even if they would, so it will not pass. For newly 40 years, our policy has been tricke down.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. grumpygator77

grumpygator77 All American

Nov 26, 2017
    Which has never worked. And never will. Insatiable greed has turned that completely off--- and threw a lock on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I wouldn't believe either one of them, but I guess I am just a realist.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    It's worse than that as the whole thing is insane. So he wants to push minimum wages and do his healthcare plan, but to push median wages up then everyone would have to earn more money, not just at the low end. Remember median is the guy in the middle, not average so if you increase the bottom 20% and everyone else stays the same, then the median is the same. Wage growth has been abysmal as we know, but suddenly it's going to take off with incomes increasing ~40% over like 5 years? Based on what? There would have to be massive stimulus through massive deficit spending to get anywhere close to that and/or massive inflation. So you earn 40% more but a gallon of milk costs $15. The obvious question I have when I read crap like this is if it was possible, why had nobody else figured out the secret sauce and implemented it in past administrations? Every president since Nixon wanted 5%+ growth and none have achieved it. Is Bernie an economic genius? Somehow I don't think so.

Oh, and I just want to take the opportunity to point out how this is seemingly more of a propaganda piece. When you read the headlines and the first few paragraphs, which is basically what most people do, you get the impression that Bernie is going to make America great again. "An economist says that Bernie is right!" It's not until the end where they start talking about how the claims are generally considered dubious and would be unprecedented since the days when the American economy was at its peak. So why not write it in a why that makes it clear that this is one fringe guy saying this and pretty much everyone else says he is FOS. Or better, write an article about what the consensus says and maybe you mention this guy as an outlier somewhere in that article. They are trying to get clicks from Bernie lovers and those that want to argue over Bernie, like this thread.

• Agree Agree x 3