Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

If the Astros are guilty of electronically stealing signs, what should their punishment be?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Spurffelbow833, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    If the Astros cheated to win in 2017, I think the punishment should include stripping them of their lone World Series title. Resurrecting their haunting and failed postseason past and adding another chapter to it would be a far worse punishment that any amount of fines, lost draft picks, or suspensions. And I say that as a fan of the team. How many pitching careers may have been unfairly damaged?

2. dallasgatr

dallasgatr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Oh please. You may as well strip the titles of every champion the last decade because they have all been doing it. While I agree it’s wrong, perhaps MLB needs to codify what the penalties will be if caught electronically cheating.

3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    What ever happened to the Patriots?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Banning the manager, GM and team president for life.

Loss of the entire 2020 Draft.

Forced to go back to the rainbow uniforms of the 70's.

5. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    In 2017....

(1) First, what's a reasonable statute of limitations for something like this? Do we go follow-up on a story from the 80's if it turns out somebody had a corked bat? A newly discovered steroids user?

(2) Stripping a title does nothing, if you were there, and you celebrated it. That's all that matters. If somebody wants to fudge a stat after the fact for technical reasons (perceived right or not), that doesn't change the event that actually occurred. A good example of this is the 1984 SEC football championship. The school still has the trophy, and those that were a part of that victory identify it as a championship. Nothing the NCAA could do that would take away the feeling we all experienced on June 27, 2017.

(3) If one team did it, isn't it prudent to think that others teams may have done it as well? What other advantages are being gained or are we suggesting that it's only reasonable to investigate one team?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Spurffelbow833

Jan 9, 2009
    I think an interesting punishment would be a postseason ban the next time their record would qualify them for the postseason, whether it's next year or 20 years from now.

7. Spurffelbow833

Jan 9, 2009
    Don't forget the seven years we had to wait before we won one that nobody could take away. It was a very bitter pill to swallow. Similarly, the Astros have no other World Series championships, and their postseason history other than 2017 is a haunted graveyard of disappointment. So I think stripping the title would be quite an effective punishment, especially if you combine it with a postseason ban like I referred to in my previous post.

8. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    If your goal is to stop theft, cutting off hands might work too but is it really justified given the crime?

Sign stealing has been around forever. This one appears to be illegal but people have tried similar things since the dawn of baseball. Is such a punishment commiserate with the crime committed?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Move to Orlando

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Spurffelbow833

Jan 9, 2009
    When you're with a group of sports fans and you feel like baseball isn't getting enough love, the magic question is "What's the toughest thing to do in sports?" If something isn't done about this, you're going to get laughed out of the room for asking.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Every sport has it's own ethos about cheating. Golf puts everyone on their honor. Cheating at Bridge is also severely frowned upon.

Sign stealing in baseball by people wearing uniforms (players and coaches) is OK. If you have a runner at second and you have figured out the sequences and can relay the pitch to the hitter then it is good. The team on the field needs to be better with their signals.

Guys in the center field stands with binoculars and a cell phone are not OK.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Move to Kissimee.

13. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    A better location actually. If they would just relocate the Rays there my life is complete.

14. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    You did not get the Kissimmee Astros joke?

15. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Yes I did , but I thought I would insert something with some substance.

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Or from the sounds of it - a camera mounted in CF relaying signs to a laptop just down the steps in the dugout. Where guys are sitting at a table watching and banging trash cans when certain pitches are called.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. dallasgatr

dallasgatr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You guys calling for outlandish penalties against the Astros should remember this.

The Cardinals director of scouting was convicted of cyber crimes in 2016 against the Astros (stealing all of their scouting reports.) And was sentenced to 4 years in federal prison.

The Cardinals lost 2 million dollars and 2 draft picks.

No way in hell the Astros will get penalized worse than this.

18. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Well that escalated quickly.

Meanwhile in Boston its only a matter of time until ------ Alex Cora - the commissioner is on line 1. LOL

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Ok, from ol’school itself, here’s the deal and the rip........

Stealing signs on the field has always been and will always be part of the game—it’s up to the individual team to keep its own game sharp enough to stay ahead of sign theft by the other team on the field—there are so many ways to change signs it’s your own fault for not paying attention IMHO—

Now, by the same token, stealing signs by players or coaches on the field is just as big a deal to that dugout as preventing it is the the dugout across the way—It’s part of the tradition of the game—

To go outside of the “on the field” criteria for this purpose again IMHO is total bullish!t and against all the unwritten rules of the game—just because technical advantages have become available because of increased media coverages doesn’t mean find a way to cheat with said coverage—it’s not cool, it’s not slick—it just says it’s time for you to step your own game up—

• Winner Winner x 3
  20. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    The punishment to Hinch and Luhnow, while very severe, makes some sense. It is ultimately their responsibility. Painful though. That will hurt the Astros far more than the loss of draft picks.

• Agree Agree x 1