Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

If Kneeling for the Anthem is not disrespectful to the flag or the US...

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gator715, Jul 20, 2020.

1. surfn1080

surfn1080 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 26, 2008
    Does Roy Moore have countless videos of him being extremely creepy and inappropriate with little girls? Oh and doesn’t Biden still have a sexual harassment allegation against him?
    I know the left only cares about that type of thing when it’s an allegation against a republican. Fortunately plenty of people can see through the garbage. Even my grandpa who is a life long democrat since 1960s (moved here from Germany in 1951) cannot vote for Biden. He won’t vote from Trump either but at least he has some damn common sense about the problems with Biden.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Point taken. Difference between now and then is we don't have Jim Crow or slavery. And we have laws that prohibit redlining.

Can you name any rights in 2020 that Whites have that Blacks don't?

Just because one group of people have it better off in America than another, doesn't mean that the reasoning for that is racism. For example, Asians have the highest income rate in America, that obviously doesn't mean that our systems are biased in favor of Asians. Also, historic systemic racism through Jim Crow, slavery, and redlining does not prove systemic racism today. That's a common conflation that I see people make when discussing this issue.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    What rights do Whites have today that Blacks do not?

See post #143...

5. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
  6. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    To drive down the street and not get pulled over without probable cause. To be pulled over and not pulled forcefully from their car, again without probable cause. To have as good a chance of an acquittal in criminal court as a white person. If not, to be given the same sentencing as a white person charged with the same crime. To have their job application tossed on the first pass because they have an obviously black name. To have just as good a chance as a white person to be hired for a C-level position at a major corporation, as long as it's not "Chief Diversity Officer."

That barely scratches the surface.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Whites drive down the street and get pulled over without probable cause all the time...

Try again...

EDIT: Lot of nonsense in this post... Whites get pulled out of their cars without probable cause as well... it's called bad policing, it has always existed and will always exist... Black criminals who are clearly guilty get off as well, especially if they have money... See OJ Simpson...

The evidence suggesting equal applications are thrown out if a Black name is seen is questionable... Studies that I have seen have also shown disparities among white names which suggests that application review is not an exact science, it's highly subjective with many variables, and even if you have identical applications apart from the name, even among white names, that will not yield identical acceptances...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. fda92045

fda92045 GC Legend

Feb 19, 2012
    And let's use some critical thinking to why "white" names would be thrown out...as a response to the many many years of "black" names being thrown out.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    You must have never had a conversation with a black person about "DWB." Every black person I've ever asked has had to exit their vehicle with their hands up at least once in their lives, most of them several times. I know because I just asked two weeks ago. One of them is a retired general in the air force.

It's not questionable. It's verifiable. And seriously, WTF is a white name?

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    My brother is a retired green beret. He had no problem with Kaepernick kneeling and he didn't even know about the guy who advised him to kneel. What could be a more peaceful way to protest?

People are way too hung up on the flag and the national anthem. IMHO, that is one of the most wretched melodies every composed. I would gladly salute the flag if I didn't have to put my hands over my ears.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    1. I've heard from Black friends of DWB...

2. Racist cops, racist police forces, and racist country are three very different things.

3. I don't think that being pulled over for no legitimate reason qualifies for permanent victimhood status and legitimately holds anybody down long term. It's wrong and it's a pain in the ass and it's bad policing... but it's not holding people down in any significant way...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I never denied it was peaceful...

There are plenty of peaceful forms of protest that I find disrespectful. Another example is burning the American flag.

13. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    It is questionable... Also, that's a good question... you tell me what is a Black name and we can go from there...

14. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Though you legally have the same rights as a billionaire, do you truly think you enjoy all the same privileges under the law?

15. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    If you're saying rich people have it easier than poor people, yes... absolutely.

Including in regards to legal counsel. Ability to buy the best legal counsel out there is powerful and cannot be overstated... But it's not racist...

16. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Nah, same deal with the beer vendors running up and down the aisles during the anthem. You're putting money in the owners pockets so you're good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    It's class and economics, of course. You've routinely mentioned how redlining is now illegal as well as Jim Crow, but you must realize that many of the people who were adversely attested by those people are still alive. Those policies ended less than 50 years ago, and people are still living the after effects.

Think of it as analogous to home ownership: White America has had hundreds of years to build equity, whereas descendants of slaves are still renting. People may theoretically have equal rights, but if they are starting so far behind what is that equality really worth? In this case "equality" always means "catching up from behind".

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Growing up in Miami... I know people who came here in the 60s with absolutely nothing and have already worked their way to the upper middle class...

It doesn't take hundreds of years if you do the right things...

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    Immigrants have a unique set of advantages and disadvantages. Immigrants from Sub-Saharan Africa also have a high rate of success, and may not realize the state of institutionalized/systemic racism until they are pulled over for driving while black.

• Like Like x 1
  20. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    Or perhaps immigrants from Sub-Saharan Africa rise above it and still succeed. Perhaps immigrants from Sub-Saharan Africa don't look for excuses for their failures.