Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

I went to border to help people

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by kf4syr, Jul 15, 2019.

1. kf4syr

kf4syr Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland FL
  2. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Why doesn't she direct her attention to our homeless veterans?
    Doesn't that break her heart too?

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    She’s completely correct about our political representatives and their quest for photo ops.

But our tribalism fans the flames, as she could have just as easily panned the VP for wearing his blazer and Cole Hahns to the border, or Melanie for wearing her “I really don’t care, do you” jacket and 5 inch stiletto heels to the border.

Both sides suck in that regard.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    I guess the reason she's not helping our homeless vets is because she's too busy trying to stop women from having abortions. Wait...you know she's an anti-abortion activist right?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. kf4syr

kf4syr Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland FL
    When somebody is helping someone else, why put them down?

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

You should definitely put down shameless stunts to create politically driven content and promote their other work. If she just wanted to help and nothing else, she could do it pretty quietly and no one would say anything.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. pecks

pecks VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Pro Life!

8. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    She will need to list 100% of her time so that we can verify she hasn’t done any promoting for her movie instead of helping people.

I always get a kick out of people attacking others for not helping in the way they are, when they are. Convenient outrage. Please.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  9. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    the cynical left is very much out front on too hot

10. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Kind of silly to suggest that the best use of a congressman’s time is handing out paper towels vs providing momentum for a legislative solution. And trying to draw a conclusion about motivations as such is cynical.

11. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    As much as I have a low opinion of politicians in general and congress specifically - that is a hit piece.

Trying to elicit labor from a member of congress when they are in their good clothes in 102 degree heat isn't very practical. Especially when they already have their schedule and commitments made.

Here's what I would like to see:

"Dear (insert congress member's name here),

We are organizing a labor pool to help with (insert event here) and at the same time documenting for the media this event in order to demonstrate that our members of congress indeed walk the walk instead of just talking the talk.

Please get back to us asap with contact information of those who you will be delivering at the site to help with this humanitarian effort.

Your name will be highlighted as someone who actually provided assistance out of their own pocket for this cause.

Alternatively, we welcome you yourself to show up - perhaps also with family members and/or friends in tow - in your work attire of course - to lend a hand.

Excellent public relations and will provide a sense of self-respect as well.

Looking forward to hearing from you - please note the deadline we are looking for below.

Respectfully,
    (insert name of event organizer here)

• Like Like x 1
  12. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    I did not consider it a hit piece -more like an exposure piece

13. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    I think it's a hit piece. However, given the fake hit pieces done by members of congress lately...drinking out of toilets, fake photo ops, etc...especially members who voted not to increase funding for the border crisis, I think it's a hit piece made to "even the score". Not very successful and not very well done. But congress needs to stop grandstanding and do something about it.

14. kf4syr

kf4syr Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland FL
    More of expose politicians for what they do often and to bring awareness that everyday people can do a lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    After I posted above and went back out to do some work, I kept thinking about the concept I mentioned about politicians setting aside time to work along side the folks.

What popped into my head was former Governor Bob Graham:

(from Wiki)
    Workdays
    Bob Graham's campaign trademark was to work a full eight-hour day at various jobs that represented Florida's constituents. He began his "Workdays" in 1974, teaching a semester of civics at Miami Carol City Senior High School in Miami while serving in the Florida Senate. At that time, Bob Graham was chairman of the Education Committee. After a speech, M. Sue Riley, an English teacher at Carol City, approached Bob Graham and said, "The only problem with members of the Education Committee is nobody has any experience in education." Bob Graham was taken aback at that assertion and asked, "Well, what can I do about that?" A few months later, Ms. Riley contacted Senator Graham with a proposal to teach the next semester of civics. Following that teaching experience, he performed 102 additional work days during his successful 1978 gubernatorial campaign. Graham continued doing workdays throughout his tenure as governor and in the United States Senate. His jobs have included service as a police officer, busboy, railroad engineer, construction worker, fisherman, garbageman, factory worker, and teacher. On No. 365, he checked in customers, handled baggage and helped serve passengers on US Airways. He totaled 408 work days.

[​IMG]
    Florida Governor Bob Graham sodding grass for the Hammet Company Incorporated (1979)

Whether or not you agreed with his politics, you have to respect his efforts to relate to the working class.

• Winner Winner x 1