Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

I think Emory Jones is the key against LSU

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gatuar, Dec 6, 2020.

1. Gatuar

Gatuar GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2008
    Ponte Vedra Beach
    Thinking about this game ...only way I see beating them is a high scoring 45-42 type game

The traditional run game won’t work against Bama so their defense can just pin ears backs and come after Trask all night.

EJ ....even when the defense knows he’s running has a knack of getting 4-5 and he can pass if they really load up.

I think a Leak-Tebow like game we had against OSU and LSU in 2006 is the formula. Trying to recall who the OC was in that game?! :)

• Like x 12
    • Agree x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Funny x 3
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Going to need Trask 100% focused and in rhythm with the wr's to have a chance. Pulling him out to get EJ a couple of snaps and then asking Trask to get a 1st down on 3rd and 8 will be suicide.

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  3. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    I agree that it will be a high scoring game
    And our run game won't work
    But the rest...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    we dont have a traditional run game anyways so doesnt really matter whether or not it will work.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    The real key to the game will be the O Line playing the best game of their lives. Giving Trask time to go through progressions and keeping him on his feet will determine how the offense rolls.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  6. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    As long as they occasionally let Emory throw the ball, I do think he could play a big part. Emory is outstanding at deceptively getting chunk yards running the ball.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    The Leak-Tebow dual QB thing was working all year though, and i seem to remember Tebow often crossing things up by throwing a pass (when teams started selling out to stop his run). That year we had a ridiculously good d and were trying some ball control using Tebow as a short yardage running QB, guy would hit the hole like a fullback and that demanded attention of the opposing D. The offense with Leak at QB was merely good, not great. This year with Trask our passing offense is nearly unstoppable. Apples to oranges.

Honestly I think changing QB’s this year has knocked us out of rhythm a few times. Mullen must feel that way too because it feels like we have been doing it less, not more.

Bottom line: it makes no sense to take a Heisman leading QB off the field... ever. Not a knock on EJ at all.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  8. mcogator

mcogator Senior

Nov 22, 2016
    Torrance, CA
    I have a feeling the game will be like last years LSU game. I just hope against Bama this year we can get at least a few stops. I wouldn't say I'm too optimistic about our D. Tennessee's three scoring drives were all 95+ yards.

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  9. Gatuar

Gatuar GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2008
    Ponte Vedra Beach
    I think the key is when they mix in EJ....two times I like EJ

After a chunk gain and go no huddle ...or a 2nd and short w the potential pass

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It could always be a ploy that Bama wouldn’t expect EJ to be part of the offense but his lack of playtime as the year has gone on is probably the telling reality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    You are correct but I would have one more piece to this… Do we keep a running back on the right hand side or use the tight end to help 56 chip his defender? I am pretty sure we will start out with 56 straight up on the Bama defender and that worries me. Hate taking running backs out of passing game by having them chip But we may have no passing game if trask has no time to throw.
    I think you will see Dan scheming to throw swing passes to the backs out of the backfield and utilize the wide receiver screens quite a bit

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Leak-Tebow was a transition year. We are not in a transition year. If they really want to get him in the game, put him out wide as a WR, a decoy to possibly have to catch and run or catch and pass down field.

13. njgator

njgator GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    The SEC Championship Game is not the time to be switching quarterbacks, especially when we have a potential Heisman Award winning QB who is red hot right now. This game, like most in the SEC will be decided in the trenches. You can bet that Bama will be coming after Trask and try to disrupt his rhythm. Our O-line needs to play their best game, protect Trask and try and establish some sort of a running game. I just hope our defense will be ready to play. You have two high scoring offenses here and this game will probably turn into a shoot out. If we can hang with them till the 4th quarter I think we have a chance to make something happen.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Has to a RB, don't want to take Pitts out of the action down field.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Go2gtr

Go2gtr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Something has to be done to shore up the right tackle position. Delance is beaten so often it's scary. Bama will pour into our backfield from our right side all game. That one sack Trask took in the 2nd half Delance never even came out of his stance and never blocked anyone on the play and Tenn was not overloaded in that side. All the pressure come from our right side.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. canagator

canagator All American

Jan 1, 2020
    Stoney Creek Ontario
    I think we may very well see lots of EJ vs Bama, CDM will have a good game plan that will mix things up, look at the Georgia match, we threw many wheel routes to running backs, something we haven't done much of since! I have a feeling there is a lot more in the playbook that hasn't been seen and won't be seen until the Championship game!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    You’ve got a Heisman candidate at QB and your best chance to win is to take him off the field. Sounds logical

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF

if he is KEY we lose

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Finnly/Johnson- 11 atts -10 yds
    Nix- 9 atts -1 yd
    Corral- 13 atts 40yds
    Mond- 8 atts 19yds
    Robinson/Bazalek- 11 atts -23 yds
    Bennett- 6 atts for 12yds
    Gurantano/Mauer- 4 atts 37 yds
    Willson/Allen- 7 atts -4 yds

QBs don't run well against Bama

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. GratorGator

GratorGator GC Legend

Nov 14, 2015
    How about lining up EJ as a running back and pitching it to him with the option to run or pass. Do that a few times to add spice.

The good thing for us is that Alabama won't try anything different. We know what they will bring whereas we can throw in all sorts of wrinkles they may not expect. as the underdog you have leeway in that regard.

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Like Like x 1