Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

I just don't get...

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by intimigator1, Nov 25, 2020.

1. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Had my buff on and was probably the only one not but ready to pull it up if necessary (I truly believe this is a virtue piece and is likely more harmful than helpful but am willing to wear it if I see people in fear). I with intent avoided people’s space. That is how to avoid this this thing.

My cashier was the wife of a Publix employee that works at my normal Publix (Churchill Publix right across the street from our office). Turned into a great conversation. She pulled her mask away during our chat at least 5 times. Never concerned me one bit. I now have a lot of ammunition when I see her husband soon in line soon...

***this thing spreads in small enclosed spaces for an extended period with an infected person mask or no mask***

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  2. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    It could if everyone congregated together and shared themselves. But the space measures make a grocer about as safe a place as you could be. Large settings where people space themselves are not the threat. Small settings where measures are taken are not the threat.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. RIP

RIP Election Prediction Savant VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    They may not be the threat but they are a threat. People need to mask up. It is such an infinitesimal thing to do for your fellow man. I already know your response though so we can kill this interaction now if you want.

4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Because you must remember:
    • Asymptomatic people don't spread the virus.
    • We are on the backside of the virus.
    • Masks are a propaganda piece for virtue signalers.
    • We will probably end up with a couple people at universities having a bad reaction.
    • It was a terrible virus.
    :emoji_upside_down::emoji_upside_down::emoji_upside_down:

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I expected this as a response but it's disappointing nonetheless.

You don't need to be in an enclosed space "for an extended period of time" to get covid or to spread it. It's that an extended period of time ups the risk because covid can stay aerosolized in the air for an extended period of time. Also, the longer someone who is covid positive is in an enclosed space with others, the more virus they spread, thus increasing the risk of others becoming infected. And even if there is some virtue signaling, being indifferent and/or defiant regarding the increased risk you pose to others is based on misguided reasoning.

• Like Like x 2
  6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Probably should. We disagree. The
    mask works in your opinion. It does not in mine. I have my buff ready because of where the politics have taken things.

You are more than safe to shop keeping space. I would avoid group gatherings for extended periods with people you do not trust to stay home if they feel their is a need.

8. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I pose no threat. But if you think I do...know I am avoiding getting in your space with intent unless you want to engage.

9. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Trust me...it will be a fun conversation when I am back at my home Publix. Probably tomorrow...

So sad that people are not living life to the fullest these days.

And yes you can do that safely!

10. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    It's not about you, individually, q. It's that by definition there is an increased risk associated with being in confined spaces (even if larger ones like supermarkets) with others not in one's household. That risk increases if we are not properly masked and if we are violating social distancing while talking to others. The risk also increases the more we frequent stores and other places where strangers interact.

That's all I'm getting at. IOW, I don't view *you* personally as a threat, at least not generally. But I do view anyone lax about mitigation and generally high risk environments as increasing risk to others' health (and mine for those near me). This is I why I've remained isolated and have severely limited venturing into any store or other establishment unless necessary.

11. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Some of the details we have learned from this virus (facts I have heard epidemiologists say):

This is a highly contagious disease that travels by air.

We didn't have enough PPE for Dr's and nurses initially, so we needed to not go buy up all the N95 masks, and since we didn't know enough about transmission, it was suggested we don't wear a mask

A triple layer mask is by far the most effective mask to wear. The droplets will just sit on the outside and do not penetrate. Also, if you sneeze or cough, far less droplets are propelled forward. It needs to fit properly so you are not touching it to fix it's position

Least effective protection are the gaiters and bandanas because one is just a single open weave layer, and the other is too open.

Other countries during surges, had mask mandates and were successful in slowing the spread and in some instances were able to get close to normal

When we talk, aerosol droplets are propelled out of our mouths. These linger in the air longer, while the droplets that are propelled when we cough or sneeze are heavier, so they fall sooner.

So if you are say asymptomatic and you're walking around publix on the phone chatting away while you shop - wearing a gaiter, bandana, or nothing on your face, you will fill that store with aerosol droplets within an hour. Now the example they gave was for "a grocery store", so I'm not sure how large of a store they were referring to, but since we are talking about Publix, it might apply there as well.

Washing hands and keeping at least a 6ft distance when you can't wear a mask also helps keep the virus from spreading

Herd immunity would kill at least 500,000 - 1,000,000 and overwhelm our health care system before it would work.

Wear a mask indoors, no matter where it is and no matter what our mini me governor says and does. HIGH FIVE!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  12. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I know we will disagree. But I truly believe the mask does not work. In fact I really believe it has a slight negative effect for many of the reasons it was never pushed in the past. The evidence speaks to this. As the mask has not slowed the spread. The very few who do not wear them are not the main way this spreads. It spreads mainly from being in confined locations for an extended period with a contagious person.

I am far more concerned about grabbing something off the shelf that was put back on it by a contagious person than I am walking by them for one second mask or no mask.

I agree those lax about mitigation are a concern. Unfortunately many are lax because of the perceived safety they believe the mask provides. Najee Harris telling his freshmen to just mask up when they party instead of don’t go and put yourself in the circumstance that actually is risky.

13. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Trends in County-Level COVID-19 Incidence in Counties With ...

Dr. Bell: “Data shows that wearing face masks works”; Latest COVID-19 Update (August 12, 2020) | SCDHEC

• Like Like x 2