Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

I just don't get...

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by intimigator1, Nov 25, 2020.

1. RIP

RIP Election Prediction Savant VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Can you explain when you bother to wear a shirt and shoes into businesses? Clearly this policy violates your rights as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    How many lives are you willing to sacrifice for your freedoms?

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    How about speed limits, stop signs, not dumping sewage in the streets or the nearest creek ... all illegal infringements on your rights?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. agigator

agigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Slowing the spread does not equal saving lives. How many rights are you willing to give up in the name of, POSSIBLY, saving lives?

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
  5. agigator

agigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    In fact, I'm glad you brought up slowing the spread. Remember, the curve represents the number of total covid deaths. The difference between a flat curve and a steep curve is that with a flat curve everyone gets to die of covid in a hospital bed and with a steep curve some people have to die of covid in a gutter but the same total number of people die in both scenarios. But all that was eight months ago, the curve was successfully flattened. At this point, the only thing we accomplish by continued social distancing, masks orders, and lockdowns is to drag this ordeal out interminably. The same number of people are going to die of covid either way.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. RIP

Feb 2, 2015
    Flattening the curve is to buy time to develop treatments, and keep hospitals from being completely overwhelmed. When hospitals get completely overwhelmed people die of other things that a hospital could have treated.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I would like to see the proof you have of the last sentence. How do you know the same amount of people will die? Maybe part of the reason for the shutdowns is to give more time for vaccines to be developed.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. agigator

agigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Never the less, the curve was flattened. If they had told 8 months to flatten the curven instead 2 weeks how many people would've gone for it?

9. agigator

agigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    You and me both. That's not my argument that's the argument that was made to justify the shutdowns.

10. RIP

Feb 2, 2015
    It was flattened, then it went back up. This is a recurring thing and will need to be addressed at each spike. We all need to do our part to help the re-flattening efforts.

11. agigator

agigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yes, it's a recurring thing and, if it ever stops recurring then we will suddenly, and conveniently, see a new pandemic appear which requires us to continue with all this crap. That's the point. Once the government has given itself authority to do something it rarely gives that authority up willingly.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. RIP

Feb 2, 2015
    Which increasing authority are you talking about? The federal govt? State govt?

• Like Like x 1
  14. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    If you'd seen him without a shirt, you wouldn't be asking that question ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. agigator

agigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    For Hall and RIP, here's a link to the graph from back in May. I was told, at the time, that the area under the curve is the same for both curves meaning you have the same number of covid deaths in either case. Take note that there aren't any subsequent spikes shown on this graph. So, the people behind this graph either didn't know that there would be subsequent spikes or, more likely, they deliberately left that little tidbit out of their sales pitch.
    https://twistedsifter.files.wordpress.com/2020/03/flatten-the-curve-5.jpg?w=800&h=448&resize=800,448

16. RIP

Feb 2, 2015
    Right, but what the graph doesn't show you is the people dying from treatable illnesses inside the huge spike. The flatter curve allows hospitals to remain mostly open for normal business. In that way the number of deaths would likely be very different.

17. agigator

agigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Right, but it didn't actually work out that way, now did it? We had tempoary hospitals that never saw even one covid patient. Several regular hospitals filed for bankruptcy because they couldn't take regular patients and they didn't have enough covid patients. Other hospitals furloughed large percentages of their staffs, for the same reason. And let's not forget the thousands of unused respirators. So, the same number of people died of covid either way but we ended the lockdowns( at least some of us ended them) with less total medical capacity than when we started, AND a bunch of people missed important(but not critical) medical maintenance.

Also, I notice that you didn't address my second point. Were the people behind this graph being dishonest or, merely, incompetent when they ended it without showing any subsequent spikes?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  18. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    All I get from the link is a 404 error. However, I'm not really sure what your point is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Spicoli weighs in.

[​IMG]

No shirt, no shoes, no dice! :D

• Like Like x 2
  20. agigator

agigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Sorry about the 404, GC kept giving me an error popup when I attempted to display the image directly.

The point, here, is that you asked:
    The original graph is the "proof" that you asked for. I simply linked it to show that the opinion came from the "experts" and not from me.