Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

I hated to hear the booing.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatormonk, Sep 19, 2021.

1. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    THIS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. G8RB8

G8RB8 Junior

Apr 21, 2007
    Brunswick, Georgia
    I appreciate your input but I will do me and you do you.
    My grandfather was a Marine and served in the Pacific during WWII in some of the fiercest fighting of the war, and while I did not hear it often, I remember him telling us to “quit being a sissy.” He was a kind and gentle man but had experience and advice every generation since could learn a lot from.
    In the current times we have participation trophies for everyone and whatever you do, please don’t hurt anyone’s feelings.
    Stand up and be a man and take your lumps if you think you are being booed. If Emory thinks he’s being booed then maybe he knows he has work to put in and will use it and make the best of it. Or, will he need to go to a safe room with a puppy? Give me a break.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    • Winner x 3
    • Dislike x 2
    • Come On Man x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  3. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    Did your grandfather teach you to boo?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. G8RB8

G8RB8 Junior

Apr 21, 2007
    Brunswick, Georgia
    He taught me to learn from criticism and not cry in the corner.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    I think jumping all the way to crying in the corner is a stretch, but im glad you learned not to do it. I do wonder if your grandfather would have thought booing would be a form of criticism he would choose? From what you wrote about him he seems more of a constructive criticism guy. But if booing your team is your jam then as you said, do you.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

And my dad was a B-17 pilot flying out of England and dropped bombs on German refineries and ball bearing plants and submarine pens. So your grandpa and my dad were both war heroes.

So your point is because we were both raised by tough guys it’s ok for asshole fans to boo the players on our college football team?

I don’t follow you - and my post you responded to doesn’t even make mention of booing. Weird post dude

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. G8RB8

G8RB8 Junior

Apr 21, 2007
    Brunswick, Georgia

“Man up.” That simple enough?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

What an absurd post

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Right nole10

10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Do you have any idea how silly you sound?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

go for it Scooter. Your time spent would contribute far more than the bullshit you post here

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    I was at that game. Also recall an ole miss TD off a Gator tipped pass that s/have been picked. Some things u never forget.
    I never boo my team and never leave early to beat traffic.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This isn't a player whining about being booed....or not "manning up" as you put it. I'm quite sure Emory would say fans can do whatever they want. The point remains that fans should behave like adults and not do harm to the program or publicly denigrate our players. It's classless.
    There is a big difference between having a reasonable conversation regarding a players shortcomings or things he needs to work on.....and knee jerk booing cause a kid isn't playing well. As for taking criticism, rest assured the coaches give them large doses. Why don't we let the staff do that job.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  14. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    I'm sure players get plenty of criticism from coaches in private. So called criticism in the guise of booing from fans, most of whom never played the game, is worthless.
    Don't think I've ever seen a player cry after a booing. A few have responded with a big F U tho, which would be my reaction.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. gatorlawyer407

gatorlawyer407 VIP Member

Dec 13, 2020
    Sure, if I need to spell it out for you I will. By paying for tickets, merchandise, concessions, and generally by putting butts in the seats and supporting the program the fans allow the program to thrive. As a result, Mullen gets paid, the UAA makes money, etc etc. By virtue of all that, I’d argue the fans are at least similarly situated to a “boss” and have every damn right to boo.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. gatorlawyer407

gatorlawyer407 VIP Member

Dec 13, 2020
    But it’s a means to an end for them. And it’s certainly a full time profession for Mullen et al

17. easycoastgator

easycoastgator GC Legend

Dec 26, 2018
    How old does a player have to be before booing him/her is acceptable?
    I’m guessing (hopefully) we all agree booing a pop warner team is a bad look.
    Middle school?
    High school?
    Would you boo your own kid?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018
    I hate the recent trend of people wanting to silence those who disagree with them. People buy tickets to games and can cheer or boo as they wish. I personally don't like booing our own team and I've been going to games since 1969, but that's my choice. We live in a supposedly free country and I defend those who make a different choice as long as it doesn't infringe on my safety or the safety of others. Wanting to silence or demean those with whom we disagree is not right, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. dave_the_thinker

dave_the_thinker VIP Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Milton, FL
    Big difference between what your platoon commander or grandfather says in private and what a crowd of fans does publicly.

If you stepped off your ship in San Diego to booing crowds after Sabo Bay, potential recruits watching the spectacle might want to go into another line of work.

Not denying anyone's right to boo, just pointing out the ramifications. Your Gator Nation and mine, with what we make of it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    I still think your analogy is weak. At best the fans are a shareholder of your company, and when the heck do they ever show up at court to boo you?

I do agree you have the right to boo, as it's been said, it's just classless and unnecessary.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1