Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

I hated to hear the booing.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatormonk, Sep 19, 2021.

1. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Just my opinion, but (1) feel free to grumble to fans around you, grumble to a message board, text chat with friends, etc. (2) Yes, anything that you yell from your seats should have the intention of having a positive impact for your team. Support them, give them something to feel good about, leave the chewing 'em out to the coaching staff.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I get the sentiment and I’m not one to shout down anyone for doing it, I just don’t like the look. And anyone who’s ever had children that are college aged should know that they are in fact still kids by the standard of how adults are expected to act. Adults in training maybe but dude they’re kids doing their best.

what I do in here often about things is a version of booing I think better or worse. But I’m doing it with what I hope to be adults that can parse and understand nuance, unsuccessfully sometimes.

to be clear I don’t mind booing in a cheeky sorta funny manner. Like booing the opposing team when they run out of tunnel or booing the opposing coach when he’s announced. I find that to be tongue in cheek kinda. Booing a kid , adult in training whatever makes u feel better calling them never occurred to me to do.

if this helps my definition of kids and assholes (yankee definition of asshole meaning more of a dipshit than a dickhead like southerners often say it as) is someone that I can’t even trust to successfully watch my dog for a day without things going catastrophically wrong

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    And can't control basic instincts or simple life decisions ions. Groans become boos for unhappy people.
    Alcohol might also play a part.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. G8RB8

G8RB8 Junior

Apr 21, 2007
    Brunswick, Georgia
    I was there also. Booing was because of piss poor play calling and terrible execution at critical times. Booed the refs too. Is that still allowed?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    LA Metro area
    That is 100% how I interpreted the boos as well. The boos came on a drive that was poorly called and IMO were not play calls that were favoring the momentum/trends at the time and did not put us in a positions to succeed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    depends on the issue, LOL

7. thom1507

thom1507 Senior

Oct 13, 2019
    I'm not one to boo my team, but perhaps a little bit of negative feedback can help once and a while. People can't be expected to pump sunshine all the time when the product on the field is struggling.

I believe the time of the game this happened were two easy throws that EJ missed badly. Those are throws that should be made or at the very least a lot closer at this level. The fans paid money and dedicated time to be there.

8. phideltgator

phideltgator Senior

Oct 10, 2013
    miami
    It is amazing to me seeing this country recover from Covid lock ups like it has. Full stadiums with fans involved like never before. It is all good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Of course there’s exceptions. I think booing refs is funny tbh and I get booing play calling but on at least 1 of those times they booed bec Emory missed a flat route that was open by 5 yards by short happing it by 3 yards. It’s groan worthy but make no mistake they weren’t booing play calling they were booing Emory

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Fans only have a few avenues to voice displeasure with coaches and administrations (to fire coaches), and booing is the quickest. Mullen is pretty stubborn so who knows if it makes him dig in with bad decisions or cave to the wisdom of the world.

We should never boo a player because the player isn’t good enough. That’s not fair in college. For example if your kicker isn’t good but you have no real backup… then you shouldn’t boo. He is doing his best.

But booing the coaches decisions, including playing the wrong player, is fair game.

The reality is fan displeasure has gotten coaches and administrations to act. I’m certainly not smarter than Mullen, but the wisdom of every college football person in the world who says AR > EJ is greater than Mullens ability to distinguish talent.

That being said fans probably didn’t realize AR was sitting out. Him doing some backflips showing he is nearly fully healthy didn’t help.

Also in the era of NIL, players need to have thicker skin. AR15 as an example, will make hundreds of thousands, if not a million, while at Florida (or somewhere else if he transfers)

11. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    All good, appreciate the adult discussion we are having.
    I'm just stating my opinion. Negative feedback, can be a way to get a positive result.
    Also learning to accept and react to it is part of gaining experience for these kids:). Always sunshine pumping will build a weak foundation for when life really hands you a bad situation.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 VIP Member

Jun 17, 2007
    The Irish Riviera
    Then they are outright stupid as well saw AR grab his hammy.

13. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007

Booing is meant to have a positive impact. It is meant to have the coaches improve (player choices or play calls) or for the administration to make a coaching change.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    Fans in the stadium saw AR executing his floor routine with multiple flips pre game.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    so what was his response?

16. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Nothing beyond this needs to be said. Booing kids on your own team is as bush league as bush league gets.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  17. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 VIP Member

Jun 17, 2007
    The Irish Riviera
    Probably not the smartest move for AR to be doing this we all saw him aggravate his hamstring. The right thing was holding him out because if he aggravates it further then that isn’t helping.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    Also how would the fans at the stadium have known AR was being held out for health issues? Especially after he was doing backflips pre game

The fact is we still don’t know the cold hard truth. Mullen could have easily said he held out AR for health to give him cover to play EJ. Meaning if EJ had that same injury he would have still played.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    Your assumption here is that he is still decently hurt.

The fact that he, the person who actually can feel the hamstring, felt good enough to do backflips should tell you something. AR himself clearly thought he was good enough.

And you can’t say the staff is super cautious. Delance hurt his knee and they tossed him right back out there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I respectfully disagree. The booing that I observe is predominantly cast by the over-indulged as an expression of frustration. Even if it were intended to have a positive impact, there's little (if any) evidence that such a thing actually works in a positive way, so I doubt that the strategic approach (wherever it exists) is very well thought out.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 8