Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

I gotta give Virginia a lot of credit

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 95Gator, Dec 30, 2019.

1. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    Most of Virginia's success was due to their resilient QB. How many times did he escape our grasps and complete a big pass down the field?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    I had a gut feeling this would be about the score/outcome. CBM is a great HC and these bad teams with a month to prepare ALWAYS play above their average. Perkins threw some complete ducks that during the regular season are most likely picked, but instead their no name WRs make NFL catches. Happy for the win, usually gotta throw out crazy bowl match ups, but the D and TG need to figure some things out.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. hhpgator

hhpgator GC Legend

Jun 13, 2017
    Rick Roll PTSD from a decade ago...

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  4. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    IMO
    1. The team was way overconfident just like us fans. UV got hammered by Clemson, lost to the u and barely beat sow. Everyone was predicting an easy win.
    2. UV came with a chip on their shoulder, feeling disrespected and no doubt the coaches used that as motivation.
    3. UV knew we were going to stop the run and that we have a very good pass rushing DL. So what did they do? They worked on short passes to perfection. They countered what we were trying to do as in making their qb a passer.
    4. Some very lucky throws and catches.
    5. UV was not going to allow themselves to be embarrassed, and they seem to want it more than uf.
    6. They were more motivated to reach 10 wins then we were reaching 11.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    I love how Perine plugged UF as winning the state during his acceptance speech for the MVP

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gatorfanbill

gatorfanbill GC Legend

Feb 7, 2018
    Congrats Virginny in your loss. J/K Good game.

Go Gators!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. bposs

bposs GC Hall of Fame

Sep 3, 2010
    Woodstock, GA
    Va next opponent is Georgia In Atlanta.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. thenazz

thenazz Junior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    They played really well vs. a superior program and we did all right. It was enough. Just win, baby.

Here's to the state champs of Florida wrapping it up in the OB.

Happy for Perine and let's hope his decision to play in the bowl (as a senior) was a really good one for him.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 6
  9. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Anyone who thought Virginia wouldn’t bring it is crazy.

They were gonna be motivated.

We were gonna get their best shot.

Won comfortably. Spreads are for Vegas.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    And thankfully we sent them back to Charlottesville with an L.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. studegator

studegator GC Legend

Feb 24, 2008
    I need to look back over the telecast, but in the first half when I saw one of the players behind coach Mullen yawning, I told my wife that I hoped they hadn't partied sunday night and were taking Virgina too lightly.

• Like Like x 2
  12. concreteguy_21

concreteguy_21 VIP Member

Sep 6, 2019
    Upstate SC
    To those here who told us it's OK for players going pro to sit this one out because it's a "meaningless" game.....
    What if we lost last night??

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    What has the negative Nellies upset about the game is that they want to believe we are as good as Clemson and because we didn't hang 63 on UVA that means Clemson is in a different league than us. But Clemson was playing for a chance to be in the CFP, we were playing for just another win, and Virginia was playing like this was the Super Bowl for them. They wanted it more than us and still didn't get it. I for one enjoyed the game even though we didn't play our best. I have a feeling if this team doesn't win the SEC East, at least, next year, we are going to hear a lot of bitchin' going on around here.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. tmape01

tmape01 Junior

Apr 18, 2007
    that was definitely intentional - that's Amari Burney, a guy we recruited as a safety and moved to LB last Spring. we are counting on him to be an important part of our pass coverage next year, and the plan until recently was to coach him up for the Star position. he looks like a LB, not exactly the fleetest of foot but a real thumper.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    For a team like Virginia, Perkins is a once in a generation-type player. Virginia does not recruit well enough overall to put together a team that can compete with the top teams in the ACC, whether that be Clemson, F$U (a while back), or Miami (ancient history). Most players with Perkins' abilities coming out of HS are going to sign on with a more competitive program.

I don't know that I would say that Mendenhall is as good a coach as Mullen. He lost five games playing in the ACC with possibly the best QB he will ever have. If he could have gotten his team to play at the level they played last night against every team on their schedule, they maybe lose one or two games all year. Mullen lost two games in the SEC, both to top-5 opponents, with a backup QB, a sub-standard OL, and a lot of holes on defense (thanks, Mac!).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Um....UCF would be up for another NC?

Obviously we want the game to give the program a boost towards the next season but every game stands on its own. Glad the offense came to play as well as I have seen overall this season.

And as a hijack, I thought the biggest brain fart playing came from one of our best and most consistent: Tommy Townsend. His punting acumen was not up to his usual standard.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. concreteguy_21

concreteguy_21 VIP Member

Sep 6, 2019
    Upstate SC
    Um...that's your answer?

18. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Okay, how about...."no one suffers with success than Gator fans."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. avogator

avogator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    How good would Bryce Perkins be with the Clemson supportinf cast

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    It would mean about as much as our Citrus Bowl loss vs Michigan in 07.
    We were also double digit favorites in that game- and our opponent was motivated and ready while we took them a little lightly.

We lost 41-35 in one of our worst bowl performances ever.

It was embarrassing, for about a day. But somehow we had an ok season in 08.

Don't get me wrong, I'm so glad we won last night. But bowl games don't carry over to the following season.
    The evidence is clear.

• Agree Agree x 1