Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

I Don't Want to Hear Anything Negative about Coach White for the Rest of the Season

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by murphree_hall, Jan 30, 2021.

1. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I don't totally disagree with you and there is still a lot of playing left to be done. For me though, yesterday's win elevated us to another level. It was as much of a total team win as we've had in a long time. Coaches, players, everyone was buying into it yesterday and we never seemed to really lose focus on the win. I didn't see guys with their heads down but rather saw a team playing their heart's out and it showed. Will we continue on like this? We'll see but I sure as heck hope so and I know the rest of our fans do too. Even those who have not been all that sold on MW.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    We are both aware of our disagreements as it relates to White’s “body of work”, as well as our general perspectives on the program. But putting that aside, I believe you had earmarked this as important season for White’s teams to play faster and offensively better basketball. Up to this point of the season, it would seem very hard to argue that hasn’t been largely achieved.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Sorry for the repost but I posted this at the end of the game thread but it works just as well here.....
    To all my Gator fans that feel like celebrating one more time, please turn it up and let everyone in West Virginia hear it, even their refs....

• Like Like x 1
  4. gottapanda

gottapanda Premium Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Thanks for the kind words. You and I have disagreed before, and you were very reasonable and polite in voicing that. It’s nice to be able to have a thoughtful conversation without it becoming defensive and petty if we can’t agree.

I am definitely opinionated, but I fall squarely in the less-educated, pure fan part of the spectrum. I never played basketball competitively, but I’ve followed our team since about 1990 and love watching and supporting our guys. I’ve been participating on these boards since 2008 and have learned a ton from the knowledgeable posters here. I love taking part in some of the spirited discussions that take place here but I recognize that I’m often wrong and as I get older and become less hard-headed I find it easier to admit I’m wrong and, more importantly, to change my opinion when it’s warranted.

Thanks for your always-reasoned posts and for helping to make this my favorite message board. You and guys like AKA, cincy, murphree, and many others foster a healthy discussion and provide a wealth of good information about a team we all love.

Plus if I’m itching for a good emotion-filled drama fest I can always cruise over to Swamp Gas. No need to let that trickle over here

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. jareduf

jareduf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bala Cynwyd, PA
    What a turn around over the last 2 weeks. Never saw this coming w/ 2 of the wins vs #6 Tenn w/out Castleton & Lewis and then at #11 WVU. I'm not sure Tenn came fully prepared to play seeing who was out and they were feeling very confident with their recent play prior to playing UF, but we weren't sneaking up on WVU which makes this an even bigger win.

Full disclosure, I was very concerned after the UK game and for the first time since he was initially hired, I had serious doubts at the state of the program. I saw a potentially very average team on paper going into next year with only 1 21 recruit and scholarships being taken up by what appeared to be a few below average SEC caliber players. One of them being Osifo and I'm so happy I was wrong. Someone compared him to a Will Yeguette type player and I like that comparison. A solid 15 minutes/game going forward would really help this team.

I like how White made mid-season changes last year and again this year, which has really benefited this year's team especially. One huge difference from last year is the speed of Appleby and Mann's all around game. Fast guards who can score seem to be the formula that works best for White. Of course Castleton being more athletic than Blackshear also seems to fit in more with White is looking to do as he's much better at running floor. Not taking anything away from KB as he was solid.

Even with my confidence waning in White after the UK game, I never stopped rooting for the Gators and couldn't be happier with the last 2 weeks. Time will tell what White's ceiling is, but hopefully this team can continue to improve and we can enjoy a really good season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    I hope our Gators continue the trend they are on and will gladly support White as long as he doesn’t return to slow ball. That’s the straw that breaks the camel’s back with me.

7. dave_the_thinker

dave_the_thinker VIP Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Milton, FL
    Saw the band name and was hoping for "Don't Come Around Here No More"..

• Like Like x 1
  8. digitalwangsta

digitalwangsta Sophomore

Dec 5, 2020
    Gators are playing well right now. Lets keep it rollin!

• Like Like x 1
  9. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    So I presume that’s a “yes”... that what you wanted, and thought he needed to do, has been done. At least so far.
    Yes?

10. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    COY for Mikey would be strange. The Gators were picked to be one of the very best teams in the SEC and if things keep going well they will be that. Lots of adversity to overcome, though.

Bama was not picked to be that good and they are in the driver's seat to win the SEC. Oats is the most likely COY.

Not saying that White hasn't done a great job.

11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Some might be surprised to know the Gators are sitting at 2nd in the SEC. Well, I was anyway :emoji_confused:. Being three games behind Bama, we won't likely catch them, but this is a pleasant surprise when on Jan 19, we were 3-3 heading into a game against the #6 team in the nation with Keyontae, Castleton, and Scottie out. Talk about improbable. If under those circumstances you were told the undermanned Gators would beat the Vollies by 26, you would have spit your beer out in laughter.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Yes, for at least through this four game win streak.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. jrcg8tor

jrcg8tor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2007
    I think we all were critical of him two weeks ago. Fortunately he was not quite as ready to give up on the season as I was.

• Like Like x 1
  14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Florida is #113 in pace, with 73.4 possessions/game. This is a substantial change from last season, when we had 68.4. None of the top 100 teams from this season were that low last year, so it's a big change. During our last three, though, we had 72.3 possessions. So our most recent games have not been faster than we have played throughout the season.
    NCAA Basketball Stats - NCAA BB Team Possessions per Game on TeamRankings.com

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    113 isn’t exactly uptempo, but it feels fast relatively speaking. Last year we were in the 300’s much of the year and crawled up to 296. It just didn’t feel normal. This year has mostly felt like a more “normal” pace of play.

This isn’t a stat that necessarily ties into winning. But if you are at the bottom AND are losing games, it’s a tough thing to watch lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    I believe kenpom offers another measure of offensive pace that may be more representative. The “number of possessions” can be distorted for a team that plays strong defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Wouldn't moving away from the DDO, slow down our pace of play?

18. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Do you go on swamp gas? The bashing of coaches that goes on over there is absurd.

Posters on this board are way more patient and supportive of Coach White, and I think that is a very good thing

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    Ok, I understand what you mean now. I thought you meant I, personally, am more tolerant but you meant the board as a whole. Makes sense. :emoji_thumbsup:

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    He's too short

• Funny Funny x 3