Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

I don't understand

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by KAGator67, Jan 6, 2021.

1. KAGator67

KAGator67 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    Why did we allow Alabama to drive into the basket sucessfully so many times?? I thought we had a quick team.

2. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    Was confusing also, especially since no help ever came down low.

3. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Bama is fast and physical. I think their physicality was difference. I though Scottie Lewis would be the key to this game on both ends of the court. Unfortunately, that proved true... but not how we wanted.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Louisville_Gator

Louisville_Gator Premium Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Can definitely see a pattern where we seem to struggle against physical teams like FSU and that Alabama team. Those guys looked like grown men.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    When someone starts a drive to the hoop, help defense is a necessity. I didn't see much of it last night.
    Those guys were doing what Keyontae does so well.

6. Bazza

Bazza Premium Member

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    They were the better team last night. Not anything complicated....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. AthensGator

AthensGator Senior

Sep 5, 2007
    Exactly this. The number of point blank shots we missed was depressing and could have changed how the game went if those shots had been made. Also was a case of every bounce last night went Bama's way, just was one of those nights I think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. gogators73

gogators73 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 30, 2007
    St. Petersburg, FL
    I honestly think we were a little surprised at their game plan to attack the basket one on one. What adjustments we did make, Alabama made up for by hitting enough of their threes. From the get go you could tell Alabama was on and even though we started okay, you could tell they were playing with a different intensity and focus. They whipped Ole Miss, won at Tennessee, and whipped us. They're playing really good basketball. If we come out flat vs. Kentucky and drop that one I'll be more concerned. As of now, I just think Alabama played a fantastic game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    yeah. But because they have shooters and prioritize the three.... they really space the floor, making help defense tough. They are a really tough team to defend. And when you give em second chances... it becomes impossible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2016
    I was ok with Mike White for the first few years and thought patience was warranted. However, the last couple of years have been painful and it’s not getting better. Looking at Oats year two vs White year six is pretty telling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    Swamp Gas has turned into a CDM bashing free for all-let's not start a CMW bashing on this forum. I don't know what has happened on this board, but lately the sports forums have been infected with a THFSG virus.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  12. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    if you are going to draw a conclusion from a coach’s second season . . . White took the Gators to the elite 8.

I think Nate is a good coach and will do well Bama, but I think you are reading a bit much into last night’s game.

• Agree Agree x 6
  13. thenazz

thenazz Senior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    I wouldn't say they gave up, but on a few plays in the second half it seemed like the Gators just let Bama do what they wanted. They're driving, we can't stop them. The Gators were really outmuscled, if not out hustled. Bama is mature and good.

Coach White has a challenging season on his hands. He will do well to keep it from running off the rails.

14. Bazza

Bazza Premium Member

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    We lost a game to a very good team with a great coach.

Oh no........it's the Florida Gators.......this cannot be tolerated!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. GolphinGator

GolphinGator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    If you look at the free throw shooting for the Gators you can see most of the point difference there. Also the shooting percentage was well in Alabama's favor but some of that was the lay ups they were getting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I saw a team (Bama) that matched up badly with our team. And their shots went in well whereas ours were not nearly as well. It was a loss to a good team away. Nothing to wring hands over.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    THFSG? Thank heaven for sexy girls?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2016
    You are right aka. It just seems we keep seeing the same movie over and over with White. We shall see, but I am no longer optimistic like I once was.

19. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    I understand the frustrations, to a degree.
    But we have all wanted to play faster - and this year, we have. And it has mostly been effective and impressive. Tuesday was a crummy showing, but probably an overdue crummy showing. Let’s see what Saturday looks like.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Ohio
    Chiozza and Robinson poured a bunch of lighter fluid over White's fire, but since then it's slowly gotten weaker to the point where I'm genuinely surprised that we can win 2 games in a row. Is this the level of success we're supposed to be ok with is the question. He gets a pass from me with Keyontae out, but it's a long list of nauseating moments the past 3 seasons that have a majority of fans tuned out. Blackshear was utilized wrong. We didn't change the DDO despite having Nembhard and Locke, two of the most timid starting guards I've ever seen. We know it wasn't Allen's game to put it on the floor and he regressed. We've dealt with many transfers including an entire class which we once believed to be promising. Hudson regressed to benching level. Our super class isn't very super. We now seem to be content on recruiting out of the transfer portal and 3* HS players.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1