Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

I did Ayahausca last week

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by lwg8tr, Aug 22, 2019.

1. lwg8tr

lwg8tr GC Legend

Thought this would make an interesting thread. Went to Costa Rica last week to a center which specialized in plant medicine. I did my research and thought Mother Aya was for me. It would take me 4 pages to explain what I experienced on it, but think of your most powerful Mushroom\LSD\Mescaline trip and multiple it by 100x. It was one hour of nothing, then vomiting and then it was blastoff time for 7 hours. Hard to describe and even harder to define the experience. Visions and experience your own consciousness outside yourself. The science behind it is the part of your brain which holds onto feelings of painful memories gets flushed out. I felt\feel like I never have, abject terror, but glad I did it.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. g8trdave

g8trdave It's Great to Be a Florida Gator!!! VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lawrenceville, GA
    Um, no thank you. Glad you got to do it, though. I hope there were non-hallucinogenic people watching you.

3. lwg8tr

lwg8tr GC Legend

There were South American shamans there to help navigate the experience. You do a special diet for a month to prepare and mitigate the horrid purging. It's a 4k year old medicine from the Amazon. In no way is it a fun experience and I could not see anyone doing it for laughs or for a trip. There were guys there 6'3" 250, huge guys who were crying and begging the experience to end.

4. g8trdave

g8trdave It's Great to Be a Florida Gator!!! VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lawrenceville, GA
    Do they have people die while doing this?

5. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    what exactly is the purpose of doing it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Why?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. lwg8tr

lwg8tr GC Legend

It's for clearing out past trauma and more mental clarity. Heard about it on Joe Rogan's podcast 5 years ago and a few of my Jui Jitsu buddies have done it in Peru and say it was a life changer. I can tell you it is.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. lwg8tr

lwg8tr GC Legend

Deaths have been rare, the ones that have happened are due to people being on other drugs when they do it and lying about it. I had a full medical exam before I did it and needed a medical clearance as the MAOI in the Ayahuasca can react badly with certain types of medication. The active ingredient is DMT which normally is inhibited by the acids in your stomach. The B Capii vine(where Ayahausca gets it's name) allows the DMT to go into your bloodstream. So the Ayahausca is actually a tea of B Capii and Chacruna(a plant which contains DMT) or Mimosa. My place in Costa Rica, we did 4 ceremonies with different brews from 4 different regions(Brazil, Columbia, Peru and Ecuador). The yage(from Columbia) was the most potent and the one from Brazil the most gentle. Most gentle is a relative term...still strong purging. After the purge you feel fantastic and you ...well I can't describe.

• Like Like x 3
  9. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Could I ask you how old you are?
    It's from the Psychotria viridis shrub?
    Pretty sure I've seen this movie before.
    I've had my own 'altered states' from the past.

[​IMG]

10. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Interesting way to trip. Personally, I prefer a nice tour of the UF campus in the dead of night or a chill Steely Dan concert. That was many moons ago. Have no desire for any hallucinogen these days.

11. lwg8tr

lwg8tr GC Legend

I believe Altered States was supposed to be a San Pedro Cactus\Mescaline trip, but yes the Ayahausca trip is much like Altered States type experience. Yes Psychotria viridis was in the brew once of the nights, Mimosa some others(more powerful negative visions with it than Chacruna(Psychotria viridis)). I am 53 and since 22 I have done ZERO substances, except alcohol. Not for the faint of heart I promise. The experience

1. You drink about 1 ounce of nasty tasting(taste like burnt prune juice and coffee you leave distilling on the coffee maker for 2 days) thick fluid
    2. You sit up in the maloca(ceremony space) on a mat or mattress. The shaman begins his Icaros(ancient tribal song)
    3. About 30-60 minutes waves of extreme nausea, think seasickness but worse, the vertigo and dizziness. Also your bowels begin to really churn with diarrhea and cramps.
    4. You "purge". Meaning you either run to the head and(or) grab your bucket(which you are supplied) and vomit explosively. Everyone around you is doing it also.
    5. You pray for death
    6. The purging ends after about 20 minutes, the euphoria takes over and you begin when you close your eyes to see bright colors on the edges
    7. The shaman increases the intensity of his Icaros, begins to "clear" the ceremony space of "negative energy" or "bad spirits". He walks around to each participant and does his thing.
    8. The visions really kick in, depending on the brew and your brain chemistry\mindset
    9. The real terror begins..like a waking lucid nightmare of your worst fears projected back to you. I saw demonic things, dark, terrible.
    10. A second round of dry heaving and purging, which was for me diarrhea, sweating, yawning.
    11. Everything is amplified...you hear every sound, the forest , people clearing their throat, crickets, birds. The colors of the night are so vivid.
    12. You are invited to drink again at 1.5 hours.
    13. You are slingshotted to another dimension, think Altered States...I cannot describe. I cried like I have not wept in years. Felt all my pain, grief about my Father, my feelings of inadequacy, my fears, my lack of the ability to open up and love. I saw the "sacred geometry", colors like I have not seen before. The visions now happen whether you have eyes open or not.
    14. Shaman continues his Icaros, he is in control of the ceremony space. He comes by me and his work I can tangibly feel, the song actually intensifies and abates my visions if he feels I need to see more.
    15. 5-7 hours the visions die down and you are exhausted and then IT'S OVER. You feel released, tired and exhilarated.

I did this 4 times in 4 days. Along with holotropic breathwork, yoga, ate vegan all week. All week you have group and you discuss and integrate what happened in your Ayahausca experience. Was the most profound thing I have ever done. Still processing it, but I feel differently for sure, changed. They call it 20 years of therapy in a week and they are not kidding.

I DO NOT recommend for anyone just CURIOUS about. It has to be a calling and it take months to prepare for it. I was very stuck in my therapy and depression. I was done with SSRIs and anti-anxiety meds. I felt conventional medicine was not working for me. I felt this really was a help for me. Oh my GF went with me and did it also. She has a history of sexual and physical abuse and she saw visions of the molestations when she was 6, clear as a movie playing for her. She said it really helped her and was SOOO glad she did it.

Oh and Guanacaste, Costa Rica..... OMG what an awesome, gorgeous place!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BillyBall89

BillyBall89 All American

Nov 7, 2014
    Capital of Gator Nation
    I came across your post while on a "date with lucy" last night and chuckled for a solid 20 minutes at the irony.
    As someone who has used psychedelics to help with my own personal issues, I hope you found the clarity needed to move forward.

• Like Like x 1
  13. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    lwg, thank you for the detailed posting about your experience. I first learned of ayahuasca about 20 years ago and have wanted to have the experience for years but never had, or made, the opportunity to do so. Now, in my current physical condition it is unlikely I ever will be able to do it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. lwg8tr

lwg8tr GC Legend

Ok for a little levity, I found an experience worse than Ayahuasca. Watching Franks play quarterback or watching our secondary tackling a WR before the ball has left the QB's hands on a 30 yard skinny post.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. lwg8tr

lwg8tr GC Legend

Well you need to not have a heart condition, run away blood pressure, diabetes, or be have serious metal issues like schizophrenia or real bad depression, that will be dangerous. But the place I went..Rythmia, they understood a 53 year old guy is not going have the BP of a 24 year old guy who does cross-fit 5 days a week or will have 9% body-fat. I saw a few overweight people there and some on the medical checkup had to have multiple BP checks, before and after the ceremonies. I did lose 40lbs for the experience and went off my BP meds 2.5 months ago. When I showed up after a 7 hour plane ride and in 90+ degree heat and humidity, I did my medical and my BP was 159/98...ouch. But the doc understood, told me to take a BP medicine he gave me, get a good night's sleep and hydrate. Next day I showed up, my pressure was 128/75 and he cleared me for Aya.

• Like Like x 1
  16. sovietgator

sovietgator Lighten up Jan Brady (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!)

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    That's awesome, thanks for sharing and congrats on that life altering experience.

Over the last few years, I've seen quite a few documentaries about this experience and treatment. All of them were very good and fascinating.

I'm a believer in natural hallucinogens that can unlock or open the complexities of the brain and psyche. Most of the world's great art and music we're done under the impression of hallucinogens.

The Ayahausca process is also used to treat serious long term hard core drug addiction (heroin, crack, RX opiates), and has a very good success rate. There are underground clinics in CA that actually use it illegally in the US.

And others that will arrange the trip to South America for you.

You are brave, and your description is just like the experiences I saw on those documentaries. I've tried hallucinogens in my lifetime (I'm 52), but I could never do what you did.

Even though I have a very high pain threshold and have endured a lot of chemo and radiation (and subsequent projectile vomiting) in the past, I am a complete wimp when it comes to vomiting and tooth pain.

Those are my only weaknesses, they are like waterboarding.

So there ain't no way I could do it. But it would be interesting to experience those vivid flashbacks and out of body experiences, especially relating to your childhood or traumatizing events.

Other than my near death bout with cancer, I've been lucky to have had great health all my life and never had to be on any RX drugs long term. As I age though, the ol' brain chemistry is changing along with life experiences.

I used to smoke a lot of cannabis in my younger days. Since April, I've taken to smoking Hemp CBD bud and I love it.

It does wonders for anxiety, depression, PTSD, pain, appetite, energy/relaxation (depends on the strain), insommnia, etc. It successfully treats many of the same maladies as cannabis does.

I now get the best deep sleep of my life. And quality sleep is very important.

Last year, Trump made Hemp CBD legal under the Farm Act. And it costs a lot less than cannabis.

• Like Like x 1
  17. lwg8tr

lwg8tr GC Legend

I was scared sh*tless when I did it. More being a Christian and entering that space where you could encounter the spirit realm and come face to face the things talked about in the Bible. I had to think long and hard about it, and was ok finally with using plant medicine. I did see things in the experience...looked like best I could describe, Domentors in Harry Potter. Like wisps of black smoke which had the shape of a grim reaper. I know crazy and might elicit giggles, but I know what I saw. My GF had the experience of being held down on her mattress and a hand groping her, which I know was not another person. She said she saw her breasts being fondled and her privates groped. She said not an entirely terrible experience(In know weird) and she was quite aroused and terrified. I did not see the typical Aya visions of the serpent, jaguar or birds. Just really crazy stuff. Oh going back next February to Ryhtmia and doing some fishing also. I felt overall was a real gratifying experience.

• Like Like x 1
  18. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    Gesundheit!

• Funny Funny x 1