Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

I’m preparing myself

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by CalGator, Dec 18, 2018.

1. CalGator

CalGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    For a board and personal meltdown tomorrow regarding the Gators ESD results. Depending on who you believe we’re either on our way to a top 5 class or are about to be spurned by every top target and will have to start scouring the plan C players, JCs or transfer market.

This is why I stopped paying for “insider” info. Every website has a supposed “insider” and every one of them is giving different info on the 30 or so prospects that are at the top of the UF board.

I have faith that CDM is better than the last 2 knuckleheads that we’ve had, but this staff still hasn’t shown much from a recruiting perspective. The one thing that gives me the most faith is the committ (I think it was Diabete) that said we’ve got a bunch of silents that are waiting for the right time to go public.

I realize I’m about to get blasted for this post and am hoping to come back tomorrow to discuss how wrong I was.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    Nothing wrong with your post. The recruiting of this staff is still untested a d up for debate. The class is full of unknowns. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best is a wise formula to follow.
    Me...I know I can't control any of it so I dont let myself get worked up or too down over it. In the end 25-30 new Gators will add their names to the legacy of playing for UF. I will root for them a d the team. 2 star to 5 star.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. royalewitcheesee

royalewitcheesee Junior

Nov 20, 2016
    The best thing a staff can do to improve recruiting is to take a 4 win team and turn them into a 9-10 win team the very next year.

You might want to stay away from this board for a bit. There might be too many positive things coming that will drown out your negativity.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

so what you're saying is that you wouldn't root for the 1* or 6*???

TRADER!!!!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Been a really good year so far. Check back here in February.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    From 2010 to 2014, we absolutely had the talent to win at least 9 games every year. We had Ahmad Black, Mike Pouncey, Chris Rainey, Sharrif Floyd, Matt Elam, Jon Bostic, Jelani Jenkins, Mike Gillislee, Dominique Easley, Ronald Powell, Andre Debose, Deonte Thompson, etc. This was following years of top-5 classes.

The talent on those teams was top-3 in the SEC easily. Bad coaching, maybe? But they lost to Georgia Southern (and a blocked kick to move them past Louisiana–Lafayette a year earlier). That's more than bad coaching. In the period we had some of the most-sought after players in college football, capable of winning 9 games a year (at worst 8 games?), coasting off our national titles, we lost 26 games. That's an average season of 7-5. IMO, Mullen gets us at least 8 wins a year with that talent. He already took a 4-win team and more than doubled what they did.

Whatever the formula for winning, it's not JUST recruiting. Getting GOOD players into a system is important, but it certainly does not guarantee jack squat. Even if we got top-5 tomorrow, it wouldn't mean much to me.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I think this is absolutely right. Our turn around is noticeable, and it's reverberated...but it may be too late for this class. With few exceptions, recruiting takes time. Time to build relationships with players and coaches and schools. This staff has only been in contact with a lot of these kids for a year.
    Look at the 2020 and 2021 class to see what direction we are headed. We are getting in on those guys at the beginning, not the late middle or end. And we are doing a stellar job.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Gator72211

Gator72211 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 10, 2015
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Kids and parents already loved Dan. Now they think he's the cat's pajamas.

10. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Well the main insider on our pay site @AndrewSpivey was 100% perfect 12 for 12 on his mock for ESD last season.
    As for this year, he isn't projecting top 5 necessarily, but far from doomsday either. Worth the coin just for NSD stuff.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Jayhovah

Jayhovah GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2007
    I will spend tomorrow secluded in prayer to our great lord and savior: candymanfromgc.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Elite dual threat QB.
    Ridiculously deep OL group.

That's a great foundation for an excellent class, especially with high level talent committed in addition to that and a realistic shot at several more.

Unless there are mass defections tomorrow, there really isn't anything to be unhappy about this cycle. Expectations should be high for the 2020 group, but this class is ahead of realistic expectations if only a couple more guys fall our way between tomorrow and Feb.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    Here is my thing. Players are great. But a true playcaller at OC is rare...and we have one for a head coach. As long as he gets the mines of scrimmage squared away I have no doubts he can put 3 a d 4 star talent in position to succeed. I like what we have gotten commits from, I feel good a out several others. No, we wont get them all, no it wont all be 5 stars tomorrow. But I bet Dan has us moving in the right direction.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. cedarkey_gator1

cedarkey_gator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    I'm with nob on this..we're not going to start taking Bama 5 star athletes in one year under Mullen. But when players start to see how they can be developed and get actual playing time we'll be good.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Who wants Chicklet teeth back?

..... exactly.

Now let’s keep moving forward and enjoy winning.

• Funny Funny x 5
  16. jimmyc41

jimmyc41 Freshman

Nov 18, 2018
    Chicklet teeth....., he just said chicklet teeth, priceless.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    Not nob!!!!
    No bbq sauce
    I'm not a nob.

;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    There's not ONE person who believes we realistically can or should finish with a top 5 class.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    "I'm preparing myself." What does this entail? Women... liquor... KY? Lol.. j/k.

I always have my hopes up high, but I'm not getting upset if we don't hit it out of the park. We get who we get and I live with it. Hopefully it's a top 10 class.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    And we need to win 9-10 games again next year in order to get the class we want. If we slip to 7-5 recruiting won’t be easy. Mullen will get it done. We haven’t seen the type offensive improvement we had this year in way too long.