Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

I’m out!

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Apr 28, 2022.

1. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    A more truthful and accurate response would be, "I am a steamy pile of sh*t, and deserve even more jail time than I got."

2. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas

I certainly respect your perspective. You're not wrong that it hurts both the game and the players. I think it also helps the players though (not the game).

Some coaches lie to players, whether its how much they'll play or their role, etc. Transferring helps players adjust to what they actually get to see being part of a given team. They can also get recruited over even if its not incoming transfers. Or you could be a player that is wildly underrated, or develops significantly, and has options that he didn't have out of high school.

Unrestricted transfers definitely have negatives that come along with them - significant ones. I'm bothered by them but, I guess, not quite enough to restrict transfers. I may feel differently eventually though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The University of Chicago may have been right when they were a top football program (The Monsters of the Midway were not the Chicago Bears) and killed the program because it was becoming too commercial.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. GatorGhost

GatorGhost GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree, with no contracts, salary caps, free transfers and renegotiations anytime... And still have to recruit! Might as well jump to the NBA if you get a chance.

Also, to those that keep arguing players should have the same "freedom" as coaches, you gotta realize they're not the same. Top coaches definitely take advantage of their position too much but ADs might be more to blame for the contracts and extensions.

Coaches aren't hs or college athletes. It's a profession that probably first required a degree that took years, plus 15 to 20 years or more of experience to get the top job, starting at the bottom, possibly even not making any money the first couple of years, and very few get the top paying jobs. Mostly past their 40s. Those jobs might not last long so they milk their opportunities. Sure them and their agents really take advantage at that point but if they leave they have buyouts.

Not the same as some high school dude with average grades but some cool highlights asking for the same amount or more than their assistant coach is making, without playing a down and with no restrictions or performance incentives that could enter the portal in 6 months to start the bidding again.

We overcompensated as usual. There has to be a middle ground.

Last edited: May 2, 2022
  5. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Division III has student atheletes but that would be a pretty severe jump.

6. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    This is a hoot. I worked with a chemist from UNC when I lived in SC. She always said that when some big time player would get a full ride from some other UAA to play ball. I understand the animosity because of Roy Williams and the UNC this and that in the press if you live in NC. But I also remember that the Gators had no bigger fans than the Tar Heels at the 93-94 Final 4 in Charlotte.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  7. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    They did reinstate football at the Division III level a few years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  8. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Don’t like the womens game . So that’s a big no for me . If they are good students great . That’s at least a minimum requirement.

9. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Agree with you but there are a lot of idiots out there that will argue with u

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1