Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

I’m out!

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Apr 28, 2022.

1. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    that's the scary thing. Boosters collectively have (far) more money than schools do. Think of any billionaire who's also a rabid college fan and think how much money could be directed to get top players to go to that school, just for shits and giggles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Used to be that a player wanted to be a part of a particular program and legacy while chasing the dream to make the pros. It seems like that is lost now, unfortunately.

• Agree Agree x 9
  3. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Schools are just about a fan base ($) and brand ($) now. School, schmool.

• Like Like x 1
  4. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    If I had more than my one billion in the bank, I’d be spending it all on Uf players. Just kidding! I wish I was a billionaire cuz I would make sure that Uf had the top class this year.

5. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    But they don't need to be restricted.

I see some of you, and I respect your opinions, trying to improve college sports for the fan. This makes sense because that's what we are. This doesn't improve things for the players though and because you/we think something is fair enough for players doesn't mean it actually is.

Players shouldn't be more restricted than coaches and when those that think they should be also benefit from this restriction, it makes me wonder what the real motive is.

6. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    well then we need to find a way for you to make a billion dollars!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Rick Pitino is probably reminiscing about the good old days when all it took was a few strippers and $5,000 in an envelope.

• Funny x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  8. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I’m all for it. Go fund me might not be enough. Lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    Ironically the fans are responsible for what we're seeing now. Fans decided college sports were compelling enough to invest in. College sports got rich. Players didn't.

I think it looked like college sports was "about" the fans because there was the sweet spot in time where college sports had gotten very popular but not on a nuclear level yet where billions are made off of it. We're past the sweet spot now though.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Players aren’t restricted more than coaches, and yes they do need restriction to make the sport a good product. I don’t see why saying they should be making money, yet not being able to leave on a whim underlies a dubious motive. Professional athletes can’t just leave when they want, so why should college players be allowed to?

11. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas

They are more restricted because they can't negotiate their own terms (if restrictions are in place). Coaches can. Coaches pour over a contract with their lawyers/agent and agree only once things are as they see fit. They can absolutely leave in the middle of a contract and coach somewhere else the very next day. If there's a buyout, its something they agreed to and could have avoided by not allowing it to be included in their contract.

I don't think these restrictions are needed for the good of the sport. My guess is the sport will continue making money just like they have been.

12. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    A free market is one where the government doesn’t regulate. The schools can and should self regulate to protect their product

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. chargator

chargator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Totally agree. I’m not trying to make a political statement, rather when the shackles came of (NIL) and the Transfer Portal, it became the Wild-Wild West. It pretty much was already , but now the “ restrictor plates” have been removed. There’s a reason certain things have been regulated ( I know, I know, that’s a bad word).

I don’t like what’s it’s becoming, but I’m also a dinosaur in how I look at things. I’ve always thought student athletes should be able to share in a profits they generate. I just couldn’t think of a model of how it could be done. I didn’t think NIL was the answer either….but it’s here.

Some kids, eventually, are probably gonna get taken advantage of, and they’re not going to see it before it’s too late.

14. gatorgeezer

gatorgeezer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    ita a double whammy with NIL AND portal, which allows players to shop for the highest bidder

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I can't STAND Ted Nugent but................... Dog Dog, Dog eat Dog........... sing it with me!

16. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

No he is thinking........ "I been WRONGED" look at it now!
    I expect a counter suit from him any day...................

17. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I'm tellin ya, the SEC sure as hell better hope the Ivy Leauge don't get in the game, they got REAL MONEY!!!

18. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    “For the good of the sport” and “how much money is to be made” are not the same thing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    The new court has all but made any "fix" to NIL impossible by an all but toothless and irrelevant NCAA today. My guess is that transfer restriction will be gone soon and I wouldn't discount discussion on extending years of eligibility beyond 5 years. About the only chage I would welcome is for Atheletic Associations to lose their tax exempt status and be held accountable just like any other profit center.

• Like Like x 2
  20. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Funny Funny x 1