Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Hyundai investigates US supply chain for child labor - Alabama supplier dropped

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by citygator, Oct 21, 2022.

1. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    US capitalism at its ugliest.

—————————————————————
    Munoz also said Hyundai would launch an investigation throughout its U.S. supply chain to determine whether labor laws are being violated.

Also on Wednesday, an activist investor group urged Hyundai Chairman Euisun Chung to respond to the allegations, noting that the claims can harm the company’s reputation.

“Child labor and poor workplace health and safety have regulatory and legal repercussions for Hyundai in the U.S. and can cause reputational damage across the globe,” said the letter from SOC Investment Group, according to Reuters.

The story of the children came to light following the February 3 disappearance of a 14-year-old Guatemalan migrant child in Alabama, the news service stated.

Edit:
    EXCLUSIVE-Korean auto giant Hyundai investigating child labor in its U.S. supply chain | Business

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Would be nice to have a link to understand what the actual issue is.

3. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lochner and the Constitution in Exile, coming to an industry near you, courtesy of High God Gorsuch. Freedom of Contract!

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
  5. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Not that this solves this dilemma, but minimum wage was set up to prevent child labor. If you had to pay a minimum wage, why hire an obviously inferior youth? And so...

As I see it (call it the glass half empty, versus some of your "half full" ideas), what is happening is that companies who rely on labor of all types can not afford what is considered the minimum wage of the economy. In other words, if you can live nicely on government services, why work? And then if you desire more than what government gives you, you have to offer MUCH higher than what a basic laborer should make. But since the companies have a demand for their product/service, they decide to cut corners, as everyone likes to do. You don't cut corners? You don't get "creative" when doing your taxes when the events are kind of fuzzy? You don't justify the speed you want to drive your motor vehicle (and even your bicycle, but that is a different thread) on any road or street because you are important enough to get there as fast as you desire? And other ideas that separate ourselves from the rules because we are better than them?

So, I would say, take away the government goodies to folks who CAN do some type of work, make them learn how to do something and reach more prosperity via their trade or mental discipline (ie, more in demand) and let them starve if they choose to. Once the hunger becomes real, and we don't allow them to steal because we ARE prepared to defend our own resources, THEN they will get religion and take the jobs that the companies need help. And as I said before, if you pay an adult to do a job, why would you pay for an obviously inferior youth?

I know, that isn't the way it works. "Those folks" are mean and need to be taught a lesson.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Who exactly is “living on government services”??

People are making more than minimum wage right now. Supply and demand. If it costs $15 an hour to have your coffee made then that’s what it will cost. Labor is currently in a strong position. The answer isn’t finding ways around labor laws.

I guess the question is… does capitalism only work with an enslaved low paid class of workers or can labor wrangle out higher wages without taking the whole thing down?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Cool pre-industrial revolution talking points.

The fact is that young people who would normally fill shitty paying jobs have figured out how to make money on the Internet so they won't be risking their limbs making or installing Korean car parts.

8. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    What you are missing, and this goes directly to most of the illegal immigration, is that the economy relies on labor that make companies viable. If we go back to the main focus of illegal immigration, it is that there are WAY too many jobs that provide a service (like farming, landscaping, food service) that, based on the dynamics, can't be filled with the folks who already live here. Probably the biggest job area that I can see/hear that isn't being filled by illegals (probably because they can't and because the pay isn't bad) is school bus drivers. The math just doesn't add up, for whatever reason.

The supplier may be an outlier to what the other vendors can do and needs to go the way of the do-do bird, or they were just the one who got caught. Methinks it is the latter. I seriously doubt a company doing what they are doing is run by some elitist.

9. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    And yes, I don't doubt that is a part of the new reality. But again, if you raised the income to better levels, the people WOULD arrive. But then, it would bankrupt the companies. And so...

10. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This is Alabama, people. Anything goes, as long as it does not interfere with the Crimson Tide winning football games. I don't know why any automaker would out-source parts manufacturing for a plant in Alabama. You're already paying extremely low wages to begin with. I know they don't want to pay for benefits, liability, etc., but if you don't want to see stories about child labor at a subcontractor, don't use a subcontractor in Alabama.