Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Hunting and Fishing

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by WhattaGator, Jun 3, 2018.

1. WhattaGator

WhattaGator All Along The Watchtower Moderator VIP Member

Seems that we have quite a few posters here that love to hunt and fish!

What Locations?

What Fishing Gear?

What kind of Firearm?

Personally, I LOVE the opportunity to go Whitetail Deer Hunting in either Upstate Pennsylvania, or Upstate New York.

For that, I've restored a WWII Mosin-Nagant 7.62x54R, just a little more kick than a 30.06, with about the same sized sabot (projectile)

EXTREMELY accurate, to the point that I don't even put a scope on it!

What say ye?

• Like Like x 1
  2. littlebluelw

littlebluelw Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    IMG_1947.JPG
    Anna Maria. 40 ft freedive. Biller 48" speargun.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ElimiGator

ElimiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Jax
    Boar Hunting near Woodbine, GA with an AR. When I get better I’ll move up to a pistol. ;)

4. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    [​IMG]

This weekend in Bimini.

Weapon of choice . . .AVET LX 6.0 :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. WhattaGator

Boar was fun on some of the land spits in the Glades some years ago... They didn't have much land to run on..

I use a Yugoslav SKS to fire head on.... but mosty, it would just piss them off and they'd charge you,
    So, as they charged, You'ld "sidestep" them, since they were dazed from the SKS shot, and as they ran by, I'd pull out either my Taurus PT111-PRO .45 with hollow points, or my Taurus .357 Magnum, with hollow points, as well.......
    You hit them right in the back of the head at pretty close range, and that will drop them.

The only gun out of the three I've replaced, is I got a New, Shorter barrel, Taurus .357 Magnum, used now for Concealed Carry
    or Home Defense

I still have the SKS, but I LOVE my WWII Mosin-Nagant 7.62x54R for bigger game. (I did a refinish on it, and it looks NEW) Super accurate!

• Like Like x 1
  6. ElimiGator

ElimiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Jax
    That’s intense. My first this season I hit head on between the eye and ear, slightly quartered, and the round came out just above the shoulder. Dead Right There with a Barnes TSX round. The thing is I like using my AR right now, but, the distance is within bow or handgun range.

7. WhattaGator

The thhing I like about the SKS is it uses the AK 7.62x39 rounds.... Very inexpensive, yet very powerful.

Still, if you come across a BIG boar head on, they have a remakably hard head, which is why my buddy and I
    Packed a powerful pistol for the back of the head shot.

The SKS is easier to lift quickly, otherwise I'd use the Mosin-Nagant, that 7.62x54R load would drop them quickly.

if I was to hunt boar in the field, that's what I'd use.

As powerful as the 7.62x39 AK round is known to be, the 7.62x54R is just a bit more powerful than a 30.06

Anyone who has spent time in the service, and was deployed to Iraq, Afghanistan, etc... that whole area....knew VERY well about the enemy "Snipers", who used the
    Dragonuv.... A longer barrel, scoped sniper rifle that was able to hit our guys from 700-800 yards.

BUT.... It was a longer barrel, modifird, AK variant that used... yep, the 7.62x54R Mosin-Nagant WWII Loads!!!

8. COGatorman

COGatorman Gator with Altitude!

Jan 2, 2010
    Westminster, CO
    My son and I just drew our elk tags for October. Hoping for some success in a new area - north of Craig, CO just below the Wyoming border. Freezer is almost empty.

9. WhattaGator

Good Luck, and "Happy Hunting!!"

10. COGatorman

Jan 2, 2010
    Westminster, CO
    Thanks, we are excited. We didn't draw last year and only got a few does from Nebraska to get us through this year. We eat a lot of game - especially elk, deer and turkey - and we get nervous when the freezer gets thin on contents. :emoji_frowning2:

11. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Headed for Alaska soon. Some king salmon fishing in store on natural runs and on hatchery runs. Natural runs in the Matsu Valley and Kenai peninsular are expected to be so low that several areas are now catch and release only. Have a full day (14 hour) halibut/silver salmon trip booked out of Seward with a captain e have used before . Hopefully the silvers will be there when we are. Always some great sightseeing opportunities too. The one time I have seen humpbacks bubble net feeding was while out fishing. A couple of years back my son got a 38 lb bright chrome king salmon while mooching for silvers. Thankfully he had a king stamp. $130 for 14 day fishing license with king stamp for out of state. Also going to take cousin to Denali. His first trip to Alaska. Hopefully he doesn't hate me after a 12 hours bus ride in and out of the park.

I do most of my hunting with a camera now.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  12. g8rtrucker

g8rtrucker VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Are you going to take the full 90 mile trip into Kantishna camp and roadhouse at Denali or the shorter 53 mile in trip?

I had my best luck halibut fishing off Anchor Point--a 65 pounder and a full 119 pound barn door. That day spoiled me for subsequent trips where I could only get 20-30 pound chickens. Every trip I took for silvers we limited out. Just sent copious poundage back to G'ville every trip. Never did get a legal King, though Damnit.

13. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    tickets are to Kantinisha but if weather is good will jump out sooner and do a 4 hour +/- hike somewhere that looks good

14. COGatorman

Jan 2, 2010
    Westminster, CO
    Well, here's to hoping for some elk this year. We got blanked on deer, bear, antelope and moose for the season.

We will get some does from Nebraska. They are so over populated, we sit on a farmer friend's deck and just wait for them to come out and pick out the big ones! AND they are delicious - corn-fed whitetail does!

15. WhattaGator

Oh, Ye of the .halibut mastery, (Trucker?) or other fisermen (Halinut, Salmon, etc.) or evenn Hunters nabbing almost ANY ilk....)

If you happen to hit a goodly bountu, I'd LOVE to cook some!! be happy yo pay shipping, etc.

Please let me know how your sporting goes!!! :emoji_deer::emoji_fish:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]