Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Hulu, Netflix, Prime, others?

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by WhattaGator, Mar 24, 2018.

1. WhattaGator

WhattaGator All Along The Watchtower Moderator VIP Member

In this age of streaming, and the number of shows/channels vs. cost...

Which is your choice (s), and why?

2. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Damn the torpedoes! Moderator Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    We do Netflix, Prime and Acorn (for the British shows) in addition to regular cable. I could do away with cable, but my wife wants it.

3. solari

solari GC Janitor Premium Member

Jared Newman @ Techhive is a good columnist to follow to stay up to date on "cord cutting" stuff here: Articles by Jared Newman | TechHive

He also puts out a very good weekly newsletter on the same topic. I recommend following him. He recently did a nice wrap-up on all the live streaming services available to date. I don't do live streaming but I helped my Dad sort his out and he ended up going with Sling because they offered SEC/ESPN, etc. in a package that was inexpensive at $25/month.

As for me personally, I rotate around Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu (non-commercial). Hulu has surprised me with its diversity of choices.

Ray

• Like Like x 6
  4. WhattaGator

I get expanded HD cable included with my rent. I'm waiting for my cousin to send me info on this box they added to their TV that gets almost everything and more! We watched Guardians of the galaxy 2 when it was just beig released in Theaters!

Will keep anyone interested informed as soon as I get more information.

• Like Like x 1
  5. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    VUDU, tied together with Ultraviolet then sync'd with about 4 other friends so now we have about 3600 movies and a few hundred TV shows. 100% legal and content we own. We did the same thing with Google play movies family share and Movies Anytime. Then I'd say I use Netflix and Hulu+ next. I got a sweet deal that packages together Hulu+ and Spotify Premium for $5 a month. The least used is Amazon Prime. There are some Amazon original shows I really enjoy, but if one had to go that'd be the one. I also do DirecTv now and HBO now so I pay monthly with no contract.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee FL
    Amazon prime then Hulu. Netflix a close third.

7. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    what service lets you see movies around the same time as it was being released in theaters? Only thing I can think of is some illegally pirated copy.

8. WhattaGator

I'm still waiting for the info from my cousin on that,.

Right now, I've got all the cable, (Spectrum blows Brighthouae.away), plus I jjust hoojed up a nww FireStick with . Alexa..I followed a YouTube video on downloading Kodi.

I thought I had more free movies and TV shows just with my Roku 4K, but by adding the Firestick w/Kodi, I am still going through all the possible channels

9. MtownGator

MtownGator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 1, 2012
    Memphis,Tn
    Amazon and Netflix and cable.
    Cable is about to bye bye and I'll switch to PS VUE.

10. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Have netflix, but rarely use it. Typically kill a half hr just looking for something to watch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    I'm currently using DirecTv Now, when you switch to Vue come back here and let me know how it works for you. I like the DirecTv Now so far, but I'm not crazy about its UI

• Like Like x 2
  12. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    DTV out here in the woods no cable and internet speed is for &*%$

13. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    If there was a I'm so sorry rating I would definitely give it to you for this...So upsetting.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Thanks for the commiserating thought, living here, in the scrub mid-way between Ocala and GVL has tremendous advantages, like room for a greenhouse, but you have to sacrifice things like internet speed and pizza delivery or having a Publix or CVS just around the corner, been here since 93 so we are used to it :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    Sparr or Anthony?

16. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Irvine, a wide spot in the road at MM 368 on I 75, it was more of a settlement than a town way back, kind of like flemington and fairfield It has an exit because when 75 was being designed there was a state senator with a logging & crate and barrel operation there, he wanted and exit and got it, we live in the scrub about a little less than a mile from the exit :)

17. GatorNavy

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    Reminds me of my old place. We had eighty beautiful acres of woods and pasture, but nothing around except for other farms. I paid the cable company to run their cable down my 1000 foot driveway from the main road in order to hook us up to high speed internet. It actually paid off when we went to sell, because the buyer actually said it influenced their decision to buy.

18. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Your post in the thread Hulu, Netflix, Prime, others? was edited. Reason: Edited for vulgar symbols per GC rules
    1:09 PM
    well ain't that a kick in the head

19. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    we have 2 k drive way and 29 acres but not a whisper of cable anywhere in our area or we would get it just for the internet cost reduction from ATT

20. GatorNavy

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    We were lucky to have it out on the main road. One of the few times I was literally happy to write a check.

• Funny Funny x 1