Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Huge game for Mike White Sunday.

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by tilly, Mar 19, 2021.

1. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Well... he would be lucky. ;) But sometimes luck is part of it.

I’m no White detractor, but a sweet 16 would count as a sweet 16 any way you slice it. Even in the Donovan years, I think most seasons we started the season thinking sweet 16=good, anything less=bad. Kind of crazy some would even forget really strong regular seasons if the tourney result fell short. But honestly we haven’t had a “great” regular season in a number of years. Tournaments matter. That’s why there were some grumblings/frustration after the 4th and 5th straight 1st weekend exits even with Donovan. The tournament trumps everything else.

That’s why I think Tilly has this correct. A sweet 16 would cap off a solid season, esp with all the issues. Going farther would be gravy. A loss, and it’s another 1st weekend exit and to a #15 seed would make it feel worse (even knowing they did just take out the #2 seed to play us).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. twobits

twobits Freshman

Jun 1, 2007
    Not really. He was 16-15 last year. And, he has been at Purdue for 16 years. But agree he is a good coach with a good Tournament record.

3. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    To be fair, I am a Coach White supporter and I said the same thing about a Sweet 16 days ago.

4. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Are we or can we be legit title contenders (every 4-5 years) and top 10/15 (every couple years) under White?

That’s what matters.

If you could tell me the next 10 years are consistent 6-10 seeds, where we never lost in R64 but topped out at a couple S16s.... I’d say that is a fail

5. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    I agree in theory, but for most the perception of "playing well" is very much contingent on whether we win or lose. Often, a 1-point win versus a 1-point loss can be the difference between "good" or "poor" play for many.
    Add to the calculation that this is a very odd Gator team that shoots a relatively high percentage (i.e., good offense) and yet turns the ball over too much, often due to very poor (downright ugly :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:) passing. So, I think "playing well" on offense for THIS team can include 12 to 16 turnovers (many head-shaking), but hopefully some decent shooting numbers. But, if Oral Roberts comes out and shoots lights out and manages to beat us despite a decent showing, many on here will only see it as a piss-poor performance.

6. number1

number1 Premium Member

Oct 9, 2011
    The team must improve their ball-handling. Had way too many turnovers. Definitely don't want to give Oral Roberts tons of extra opportunities by being sloppy with the ball.

And yes, winning Sunday's game would be highly beneficial to winning over the portion of the fanbase that wants him gone. Losing to #2 Ohio State in the 2nd round isn't as damaging perception-wise as losing to #15 Oral Roberts would be.

7. gulfgator

gulfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gulf of Mexico
    This is not a normal year. Oral Roberts is not a normal 15. If anyone watched, Abmas is the real deal, he is a force, all 6'1" 165lbs of him. If UF doesn't play well, they will lose.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    Either that was the best 15 seed I have ever seen or OSU was the worst 2 seed.

• Creative Creative x 1
  9. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    With KJ this team is right there with our final 4 teams. Without KJ we still have talent, but fall back into the pack a bit. So I think that sort of resets expectations.

White has been doing a great job putting his rosters together, but it’s fair to say he hasn’t fully maximized them on gamedays. It’s just a shame this year he might have actually had something special, but we’ll never know.

It’s going to be interesting to see next year. Our offense might be a mess without the scoring pop of Mann (if he doesn’t come back), so well see what happens. White has been good at filling his roster, he seems to always have a plan b and a pretty good eye for talent (he sometimes gets on guys really early before they blow up). That’s really the main thing he has been good at lol.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  10. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    A little of both. OSU was 3 seed probably.

11. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Beat Oral Roberts and in my book White has a ver good year, especially with losing Key. No one on this board would have said we were possibly a Sweet 16 team after losing Key. No one w a straight face.
    Before I get ahead of myself, if we don’t come to play Oral Roberts will run us out of the gym. We HAVE to get the ball to CC as we have an advantage down low.
    Scottie woke up. If he plays with that attitude and gives us 10 I think we are dancing.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    You mean the Purdue that lost to my fightin' Mean Green last night? :D How about UNT's Grant McCasland? Oh shoot, I'm just playin' around and was looking for an opportunity to laud UNT, since I'm an alum. We don't need a new coach at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I wouldn’t say it’s “fail”, consistently getting there is an accomplishment in its own right. Nor is it really “success” to stay at that level. It’s like earning a C+, it’s earning a passing grade every year and that’s about it. The thing is, it’s kind of hard to just maintain perfect mediocrity like that. It would be almost impossible for 10 years.

Eventually either he has a breakthrough and does better than this bubble team + round of 32, or something happens to fall flat and have a losing record one year. Obviously the goal is to build a team that can be top 10 and be considered title contenders. Not every year, but at least every few years to get it together and have a legit title contending team. We thought we might have had that last year, but it flopped during the reg season. This year we might have been slightly closer, but the KJ thing obviously knocked us back a peg. But we are actually performing better, and that’s even without our best and most elite player. So I consider that a baby step in the right direction, but White still has a lot of work to do in future years to avoid setbacks.

14. robertgator

robertgator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    My general theory on expectations are: Make the tourney every year, a real run every four or five years. White isn't far off from that stand point.

But then if you compare it to football. With football, you'd expect Sweet 16 every year and a deep run every 4 at least.

Maybe our BBall expectations should be closer to that. Seems like we're not recruiting at that level, and don't have a QB whisperer equivalent for a BBall coach at this time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    I agree that a Sweet 16 is a successful season and while I’m no fan of Coach White, anytime you make it to the 2nd weekend of the tournament is huge. Go Gators!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3