Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Huge game for Mike White Sunday.

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by tilly, Mar 19, 2021.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

It's a game that we should win.
    Can't lose to a 15 seed. That would only bring the torches out.

On the other hand, a Sweet 16 after 3 Covid delays and losing KJ would be pretty amazing. Especially when added to his E8.

So this can go from embarrassing loss to adversity overcoming march to the Sweet 16.

Pretty big pivot on this one game.

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Like Like x 3
  2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Will Payne still be suspended? Will Appleby play? I honestly think this is a house $ game. Would love to get to the sweet 16. This season is a null assessment of White, imo.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    Even if we win, the White detractors will say he got lucky that they played a 15 seed.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I think it will boil down to which team can keep their edge. Hopefully, we'll have Appleby back.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. GolphinGator

GolphinGator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    I don't know of course but I think Payne plays and hope Appleby can go. Payne cheering the team on the sideline and being dressed out makes me think he will play and Appleby coming out of the locker room late makes me think he may be able to go.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Which would be silly on their part since that 15 seed just knocked off a 2 seed and didn't do it by luck either.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. fda92045

fda92045 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 19, 2012
    Billy got a lot of favorable matchups in his later years here, so I couldn't in good faith say that.

8. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    Agreed.

I said that I could see a Sweet 16 appearance if we played well. Hopefully, that happens. I think if Scottie Lewis plays like he played today with that same confidence and aggressiveness, this team is a lot better than with Appleby starting, just due to size and physicality. Appleby just has so much heart every game that it's hard to take minutes from him if he's healthy. Coach is going to have a lot to think about over the next 24-48 hours.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. thenazz

thenazz Senior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    I don't see it mattering much to CMW's situation. Losing today would not have been good, but even so I think he was set to continue. I have no idea, of course, but I'd venture that next year's showing will tell the tale.

Texas Tech/Arky doesn't look promising if we advance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    No such thing as a house $ game in the tournament, and Oral Roberts is not to be taken lightly. I think it's unfair to say it's a null assessment season. If we have success, it counts no matter what. Especially with all the adversity this team had to go through this year. This is undoubtedly his best coaching performance since he's been at UF.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Forget the seeding. It means little after the first game. And ORU didn't win today by being a bad team.

• Agree Agree x 6
  12. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. garygator27

garygator27 All American

Mar 28, 2017
    He still has an opportunity to prepare and coach up the guys that are playing and try to put them in a position to be successful. I agree with you to a certain extent. If we play well and just lose to a better team, then you tip your cap and give the coach credit. If they come out and turn the ball over excessively, play sloppily, take bad shots, etc. then you can still be critical of the coach for not having the team prepared. Guessing you disagree considering you seem to dislike any critical takes of the coach, but that’s still my take.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Of course it's a house $ game. If we lose, so what? We've already performed to our seed. I guess if the Gators win a bunch of games in the tourney we can say it was a very good season. I don't see this in any way as a negative assessment of CMW, which was my point. Don't agree that this was "undoubtedly" his best season. Scottie has been spotty. Several of our bench players are just not ready to contribute. Locke has been . . . ehhh. Mann and Castleton have been bright sots for sure, but I don't see this as his best coaching by any stretch.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Emmitto

Emmitto GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Eh, the biggest story would be a 15 going to the S16. But it is a fortuitous development, those OSU bigs would have pounded us to dust. If he gets it, it’s nice, but not a statement. A loss is no statement either. The best player is now a “coach.” If he gets E8, that’s something pretty big, IMO.

I’m ambivalent about MW, but it could be that he is a gamer.

We still don’t have a PG, even when healthy. If he gears these teams up to make multiple round runs every year I’d start leaning to a believer if he could finally land a couple of big-timers.

EDIT: I suppose I should say I AM a leaner to MW, since he seems to take OK teams farther than it appears they should go. My reluctance is the lack of HR recruiting hits.

Oh, and I do indeed get frustrated with what I consider BAU sitches like inbounds plays. He seems to consistently be outclassed there. But since I’m down to that on my grievance list, not bad.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  16. twobits

twobits Freshman

Jun 1, 2007
    I get frustrated with Mike White from time to time. Today was one. But, bottom line is Mike White will be our coach for the foreseeable future. See list below. He does not cheat. He is a class individual. He is the youngest coach on the list. Seems best to get used to it and focus on how we might improve under Coach Mike White, not without him.

[​IMG]
    Coaches that made the last five NCAA tournaments(2017-2021)

Holtmann, 49, Butler, Ohio Statre
    Izzo, 66, Michigan State
    Self, 58, Kansas
    White, 44, Florida
    Wright, 59, Villanova
    Bennett, 51, Virginia
    Hamilton, 72, Florida State
    Cronin, 49, Cincinnati, UCLA
    Few, 58, Gonzaga

Go Gators!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Apr 3, 2007
    Definitely a big game for him and the team. I can see them coming out and playing really well for MW. It will definitely come down to execution and defense. Our guys need to be ready and this can be a great turning point for MW and the program.

A Sweet 16 would be huge no matter the seeding of the opposition at this point.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You are correct in saying you have no idea because Mike White is in no danger of getting fired this year or next.

19. thenazz

thenazz Senior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    Thanks for letting us know, Mr. Sticklin.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  20. Singaporegator

Singaporegator GC Hall of Fame

Shouldn’t Matt Painter, Purdue be on that list?
    He is 50. If you then restricted the list to those that one all their first round games you would eliminate Bennett and Painter and Cronin and Holman :) at least.

• Like Like x 1