Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. ATTENTION VIP MEMBERS: Your favorite full color wall calendar with Gator sports schedules is on the way to you in the mail! Expect it in a week or two at most. Questions? Ask here.

Hudson- ya gotta come back.

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Apr 20, 2018.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    maybe I’m off, but the number of early entries this year seems absurdly high —- making for a very crowded draft board. This isn’t good for players on the fringe of being drafted.
    I’d hate to see Hudson leave and not have his name called.
    Is it possible he returns and the same happens next year? Sure.
    But I really do think he gives himself a better shot with another year showcasing his abilities. I think he could have an SEC POY type year. I’d hate for him to bypass that for the real possibility of being undrafted.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  2. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    How much control do these guys have over where they play overseas? It seems like you could get a sweet gig (Calathes) or you could get stuck playing in a small town in Southern Lithuania (Ball brothers).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

3. alietigator

alietigator GC Legend

May 15, 2010
    I think the Calathes thing was unique. He was actually drafted. He got a sweet gig because I believe he was already in the Greek national team and those teams knew him. Most other college kids start out at smaller teams and if they do well work their way up. Like Wilbiken, Boynton, EW etc. Hudson would probably have some choices but as a rookie would still not get a crazy deal at a top notch team. Would need a couple years to get to that point

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I think he should definitely come back, but the number of early entries is inflated because there are a lot of players that have declared without an agent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jayhovah

Jayhovah GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2007
    I think he's be a Combine Queen if he can get invited to it... he'll put up some numbers there and work his way into the draft.

6. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator Premium Member

Mar 5, 2017
    I agree he needs to stay, not just basing that opinion off being a fan either. This class is loaded. There are all-american type talents who won't get drafted until the 2nd round. It's not worth wasting what should be the best year of his life. A lot of times these kids don't even think about that because they're listening to the wrong people. No amount of money can replace those memories you make your senior year of college. Especially with his situation of finally being able to start and be the captain. He's got a good chance to be SEC POY and show that he's round 1 material next year. We'll also have unselfish players around him. There's no reason why he shouldn't average less than 20 a game.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    I have also read some (most?) of the leagues overseas limit the number of American/foreign players they can have. So it's not like there are 13-15 spots on every team in every league out there they can compete for on equal footing and get a contract if they're just an above average player relative to the league.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    ESPN Projection:

48. Wolves :eek:

Jalen Hudson | SG | Age: 21.8 | Florida

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. alietigator

alietigator GC Legend

May 15, 2010
    The thing with Hudson that gets me is why transfer to sit out only to leave after 1. Maybe he really didn’t like being at VA tech. Just a wasted year both for making money and/or playing in real games. It’s not like we didn’t know he was going to declare very early into the season.

10. maleko83

maleko83 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 22, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale. FL
    Someone ask Jalen to call up Michael Frazier or Chris Walker and ask how that whole early entry thing went.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    How are those guys doing? Playing overseas? I'm not a scout, but I see Jalen as a decidedly more advanced player than either Mike or Chris at the same stage.

12. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Bad slot since your contract isn't guaranteed. Decent up and coming team. Jeff Teague is making $19 mil a year :eek:

I would think if they tell him he will be #48, he would return.

13. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We should throw a party when he turns 21.9.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett GC Columnist VIP Member

Just matters whether or not he wants to be a professional. So many times we speculate about whether a player should come back or not based on where he'll get drafted or if he'll get drafted and often times getting drafted or not doesn't really matter to a player. Some players just want to go pro and either work their way up in the G league or head to europe. Devin Robinson knew he wasn't going to be drafted but went anyways, and maybe he regrets it or maybe he wishes he came back. I just think it's not as simple as looking at mock drafts and basing what a player should do off it.

Of course, I personally hope he is trying to get drafted high and sees that the best way to accomplish that would be to come back for his final year of eligibility!

• Like Like x 1
  15. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Walker looks to be doing alright Chris Walker - NBA G League

Frazier not as much Michael Frazier - NBA G League

16. Efawcett7

Its crazy, Frazier had that ankle injury in his junior year and it honestly seems like he never fully recovered his jump shot. He didn't shoot the ball well to end that year and has never found his shot at the pro level. He's also a guy who isn't very athletic and never developed any other offensive skills other than that shot so the fact he's not an elite shooter is really hurting him. He's a guy that I think would have been well served to come back for his senior year. Truthfully, he almost would have been better coming out after his sophomore year, as his stock would have been higher than when he left after his junior year when NO ONE thought he'd even sniff the second round of the draft.

17. Efawcett7

Also, very interesting how Walker has had a good G League career. He's a guy who I don't think every fit into the mould of "student athlete" and didn't fit into the system of college basketball, better suited to the G league where it's not as structured and pure athleticism can often win out.

18. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    But he is not even starting so he has a long ways to go I would think

19. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
  20. Singaporegator

Singaporegator GC Hall of Fame

Fully agree. Chris really had no place in college as he was not prepared academically or athletically by his coaches. Pretty much his only basketball skill was that he could jump out of the gym and it seems doubtful that he could have stayed in school. The G league at least gives him a decent chance. It may be that some of the specialized high schools can help kids like Chris.