Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

HR#1 Amendment: lower voting age to 16

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by citygator, Mar 11, 2019.

1. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I keep hearing people say that 18 is the right voting age, because that's when they can serve or be drafted ... but the vast majority of people turning 18 will not have the opportunity to vote in a national election before they could be potentially drafted. I bet very few of the 18 year olds we sent to Vietnam had the chance to vote for a president before being shipped off. So maybe make the voting age 16 or the draft age 20 or 21 ...

2. carpeveritas

carpeveritas Junior

Dec 31, 2016
    Yes the draft was in force for all males 18-25 years of age during the Vietnam conflict. The draft was abolished January 12,1973 and the armed services transitioned to an all volunteer army. The US pulled out of Vietnam on January 27, 1973, the voting age was lowered to 18 years of age July 1, 1971 and this was in part due to the fact that 18 year old kids could be drafted to fight in a war but had absolutely no say in their government.

Selective Service System
    Official Agency Statement:
    As an independent agency of the Executive Branch, the Selective Service System does not make policy and follows the law as written. As such, until Congress amends the Military Selective Service Act or the Judiciary orders Selective Service to change our standard operating procedure, the following remains in effect: (1) Men between ages 18 and 25 are required to register with Selective Service and (2) Women are not required to register with Selective Service. If Selective Service is directed by Congress or the Supreme Court to include women in the registration process, we will implement the ordered changes in a timely fashion.

If the draft was the impetus for changing the minimum voting age to 18 what is the impetus to change it to 16? Further more since women are not required to register for the draft why should they get voting rights at 18? While some may think a 16 year old who is still dependent on their guardians / parents should have a right to vote I do not.

3. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Legend

Aug 11, 2010
    I assume since the Dems are so in favor of it, they know it will swing elections to them.

4. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Those age-ist bastids! Discriminating against elementary school children and toddlers! Next thing you know, they will install voting machines that small children can't reach!