Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

HR#1 Amendment: lower voting age to 16

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by citygator, Mar 11, 2019.

1. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Premium Member

Certainly can't speak for the USA, but I'd support it if and when the conversation is raised in the UK.

As an educator, I know a lot of 16 year olds who can maturely articulate their societal concerns - many of them better than me - so I'm not a big fan of making sweeping generalisations that 'nobody knows what they are doing'. By the same token, I know a lot of 'adults' who so obviously struggle to separate their elbow from their rear ends, and those that have zero maturity when it comes to blithely following partisan politics.

If people are against a vote for 16-17 year olds, I think those who are opposed are going to have to articulate something much more robust than jibes like "pay some taxes!" or "you're too young" in order to dismiss it - especially when these young people can see the current batch of politicians so freely disrespecting the system, often for personal gain. They aren't as daft as people would like to believe...

• Like Like x 1
  2. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Why 16 then? Why not 15 or 14? My oldest was more mature at 14 than most 20 year olds. I’m not sure just because some/many kids at that age are impressive makes it right on average.

If you have to draw an arbitrary line the age at which you get out of HS sounds reasonable to me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. LimeyGator

Fair point. Whatever age is set would be contentious, I guess. For me, if a 16 year old can work, pay national insurance, leave home, have a child etc, it seems unusual they can't vote, no?

4. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    The human brain isn't fully physically grown until around age 19....plus some 16 year olds lack pubic hair. Come on limey....its rubbish!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Legend

Jun 14, 2014
    Over here a 16 year old can't leave home without their parents' permission. If you've been legally emancipated and are fully responsible for your own welfare, I can see the logic in allowing you to vote. But barring that, I'm skeptical.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

almost half this country pays no income tax......which is going to ultimately be our downfall

we should be like Sweden where the lowest income earners pay a 67% income tax

• Like Like x 1
  7. FearNoSpear

FearNoSpear VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Ocala
    The rational part of the brain isn’t fully developed until 25. They let us drive, drink, vote, etc. without fully developed brains. I got married once with an underdeveloped brain. I also voted for Bush with that same underdeveloped brain. I will gladly be the poster child for not lowering the voting age. Lol

• Like Like x 1
  8. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    We do seem to be buggering it up over here across the pond, so maybe 16 is not so far fetched. I know I had all the world's problems figured out when I was 16 :D. I just couldn't be trusted in selection of a woman life partner.

9. gators8

gators8 GC Legend

Oct 1, 2007
    Unless they can vote via Twitter or Facebook 16 year olds won't bother.

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Funny but probably true. There pretty much is a direct correlation between age and the propensity to vote. One of the reasons Obama won in 2008 and 2012 was because younger voters voted in greater numbers they have historically. Although not the only reason, Trump won in 2016 because voter turnout in the under 30 demographic returned to lower historic norms.

• Like Like x 1
  11. carpeveritas

carpeveritas Junior

Dec 31, 2016
    One of the major issues here is parents are the legal guardians of children at the age of 16. Parents are liable for the child's actions as well as damages caused by the child. The national age of emancipation of a child in the US is 18 years of age. Some states, not all, allow for earlier emancipation of minors provided they petition the court. If granted by the court then the parents are no longer responsible for the child or the child's actions.

To be fair I have no knowledge about the laws in the UK concerning minors. In my opinion allowing children to vote while they are still the liability of their parents or guardians is a non-starter.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. LimeyGator

Good point. It's all a bit confusing to me, really. The things I said above can happen to a 16 year old in the UK. They can drive at 17. Yet, they are legally a minor until 18.
    Seems a lot of disparity that needs resolving first!

13. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    what noteworthy work was done during the Clinton administration?

14. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    They balanced the budget, the WH legal team was working their asses off to deal with the Lewinski thing and according to the internet, Hillary had about 600 people taken out.

15. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Maybe they were just butthurt because they personally witnessed mom and dad's retirement funds ripped from them and they were kicked out of their homes so a few folks could put more points up on their already over enlarged scoreboards. Could be? :cool:

16. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Vote at 16
    Serve at 18
    Drink at 21
    Rent cars at 26

That hierarchy sure makes sense.

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    i'm talking about regular government workers, not congress.

18. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    And as often as they want to, like on "American Idol." One person, one phone.

19. tigator2019

tigator2019 Junior

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    I don't know. Looks like some place here or there allows it

The District of Columbia suburb of Takoma Park, Maryland, was the first US city to drop the age minimum to 16. In the first election after the law was passed, registered 16- and 17-year-olds had a 44% turnout compared to the 11% overall turnout rate in 2013

Should a 16 yr old vote in a federal election? My gut says no. City? Township? If they meet some basic criteria .. why not? A friend of mine is a mayor, $500 a year at best ceremonial. what is the harm?

20. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Legend

Aug 11, 2010
    I’m fine with someone in the military who happens to be younger than 18 being allowed to vote.