Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

HP DeskTop won’t Restart

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by alphaomegator, Aug 19, 2018.

1. alphaomegator

alphaomegator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Fort Myers
    My PC on Windows 8.1 won’t restart automatically.Windows apparently tried to download updates last night but the computer wouldn’t restart to complete the process. This morning I had a blank screen with computer still running. I have manually switched the on/off button numerous times but the computer only goes so far and stops doing anything. It simply will not come on.
    I finally was able to get it on in Safe Mode but now if I try to get out of Safe Mode(by hitting Restart) it reverts right back to nothing happening.
    Can anybody tell me what’s going on and what to do?

2. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    I was afraid one of my tablets was headed into this abyss this week as it showed "applying windows update, don't even think about turning off your computer" or something like that for about 24 hours.

I don't know if you have already searched the web for what do but there are a number of articles including this one that give some ideas.

When in safe mode can you do much? If so you might want to try is to use the Restore Point feature.

Hang in there!

3. alphaomegator

alphaomegator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Fort Myers
    Thanks I’ll try the Restore Point Feature

4. MtownGator

MtownGator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 1, 2012
    Memphis,Tn
    Your comp is doing you a favor from that horrible operating system. Reboot restore and get a new os.