Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

How Working Class Americans Became Second-Class Citizens

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by studegator, Apr 2, 2024.

1. studegator

studegator GC Legend

Feb 24, 2008
    Pretty much what I think and feel----
    How Working Class Americans Became Second-Class Citizens

Blue-collar workers have been abandoned by both the Democrats and the Republicans. Batya Ungar-Sargon explains why.
    "Democrats portray conservatives as characters out of The Handmaid’s Tale, and Republicans portray liberals as “baby killers. Yet two-thirds of Americans agree that abortion should be rare and also legal.
    Democrats like to tell us that Republicans are gung ho on school shootings, and Republicans are fond of saying Democrats want to steal our guns. Yet 61 percent of us believe that the Second Amendment should stand, but it’s too easy to get a gun.
    Democrats tell us Republicans hate gays and Republicans tell us that Democrats want every child to be queer. Yet average Americans believe that sex is determined at birth and that trans people should be protected from discrimination, though when it comes to sports, trans people should compete on teams that match the sex they were born with. This is how six in ten of us feel.
    The partisan claims of a polarized America ring especially false to working-class Americans. This is because—unlike the college-educated elites who run the country—they don’t identify with the full list of policy proposals produced by either party.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    So the two capitalist political parties render the working class second class citizens ... what lessons are we going to take from that? For you, probably that rich people need more tax cuts, unions should be crushed, wages should be low, we need more cops on the street to keep the poors in line and we should cut social security because the deficit, or something.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I used to think that corporate businesses would reinvest their profits from lower taxes back into helping to create more American jobs but that never really has happened. I now think we need to find a way to guide corporations and their profits back not the U.S.A or face huge taxation... without some special interest tag on it like DEI, or some other BS racist mandate.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Their profits go to the owners and investors no matter what they do ... not me and you

5. thomadm

thomadm VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Who cares? There always has been the pawns and the bishops throughout human history. Eat your dollar general name brand lucky charms, shutup and color. If you dont want to be poor, start a business, go to school and get an in demand degree like Doctor, Engineer or something useful. These woah is me BS articles are getting old.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Unfortunately in America if you start a business and buy a $75000 pickup truck and sometimes wear camo and drink domestic macro beer, you get to call yourself (or get called) "working class" because its an aesthetic /affectation in political discourse.

7. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    No doubt there's far too much broad stereotyping done by and against all sides. But while criticizing it, the author is doing the exact same thing ... "Democrats say ..." ... "Republicans say ..." because, after all, some do.

Btw, any piece that relies on the tired and meaningless 'elites' as a scapegoat is by nature going to be pretty shallow.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Actually the same general feelings I have for election deniers. If you don't want to get your ass kicked in an election, try sucking less.

9. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I don't know that's its quite as dire as that yet, but it's not far off the mark. Increasing wealth and income inequality guarantees it is fast becoming that dire.

10. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I was wondering if someone would post such crap. I'm a "have", but I was lucky to have good parents, a good brain and to catch a few breaks. Your comment is so insensitive and arrogant as to be laughable. Try gratitude, and you would do well to find humility and kindness.

11. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    35 percent of Americans over 25 have a college degree. The median college grad earns around 85k a year. That’s hardly elite status, just another way to divide people.
    But the underlying argument I agree with largely.

12. thomadm

thomadm VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Your comment is laughable. It's actually the opposite, people bitch because they come up with some damn excuse for why they don't have something. It's an entire population that is entitled, don't have skills and expect someone else like the govt to solve their problems. That doesn't work in real life.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    So trickle down doesn't work? Tax cuts for the super rich in hopes they will plow the windfall back into the economy and in so doing help the "little guy".... it hasn't exactly panned out that way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    You can be working class and have a college education, likewise you can be wealthy business owner without having gone to college

15. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    So factual. This post should have been the end of the thread.

16. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    It's almost like this guy is finally inching closer to admitting that Donald Trump conned him.*

*But he'll vote for the con man anyways.....

Former President Donald Trump wants once again to slash taxes for the wealthy if he’s elected in November 2024.

Trump’s economic advisers are floating cutting the corporate tax rate from 21% to 15%, the Washington Post reported. Such a cut would overwhelmingly favor wealthy corporations.

Trump already cut the corporate tax rate from 35% to 21% with the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.

Trump wants to cut taxes for the rich even more if elected again

17. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Other than the MAGA crowd who want to destroy this country, America is doing just fine, but if you want to feed your anger and focus on a minority, and it makes you feel better about yourself, have at it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    6 degrees of Ronald Reagan. Find a current problem and it can be traced back to him.

The destruction of labor unions was a big part of the problem.

• Agree Agree x 1