Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

How to quote part of a post

Discussion in 'Help Forum' started by thekentuckygator, Jan 16, 2019.

1. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    I see the little quote button. Can’t figure out for the life of me how to use it. Lol

2. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Moderator VIP Member GC Staff

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    Hit the reply button, then the post you are replying to is quoted, if you want some of it just rake out the part you do not want

3. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    There are quotes and then here are quotes and even more quotes in the system. As the Growling one said, one way is to just mash the Reply 'button' and the whole item to which you are on gets included. The +Quote button is similar but allows you to add multiple entire replies to be quoted. If you use this then a new button appears at the bottom of the edit pane that says Insert Quotes...

You also use your mouse to select test from a reply and have that added to the multi-quote or as a single quote reply as shown in the image below. There are other options as well but I suspect I have already bored you enough.

===================================================== Capture.JPG

Attached Files:

4. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    I had a post deleted for partially quoting a post, so I figured it was against the rules.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    That seems VERY strange. The only reason I would see for that would be if you changed the meaning of the original. I know some folks like to quote and do a 'clever' alteration of the original, sometimes adding the FIFY acronym.

As far as I aware quoting another post, partially or in full, is permissible.

6. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    That's not really my posting style,but I'm not going to say it couldn't have been that

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SwampFox

SwampFox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    test

8. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    I had a good instructional post detailing this once. Probably got removed during one of the purges.

9. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Moderator VIP Member GC Staff

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    That should not have happened, we will delete a post that changes a quote or the quote is changed by leaving something out that changed the intent of the posters remarks,.