Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

How to post an image on Gator Country

Discussion in 'Help Forum' started by Vindibudd, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vindibudd

Vindibudd VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Orlando
    Someone asked me to create a post about how to post an image because as we all know, an image is worth a thousand words, let's be totally honest. I'm going to assume that you already know how to copy and paste.

First you need to copy the url (internet address) of the image you want to post. Make sure that the address ends in one of the following extensions: .gif, .jpg, .jpeg, .png. This way you know you have the address of an actual image, not a page holding the image.

[​IMG]

Then you come to Gator Country armed with your awesome image and create a new post. When you create a new post you will then need to click on the Image icon in the toolbar as circled and pointed out below:

[​IMG]

You will then see an image menu pop open that gives you a box wherein you may paste the aforementioned image url that you previously copied. Once you have pasted it, proceed to click the Insert button.

[​IMG]
    If you have successfully completed the previous steps, you will see your image appear in the post like so:

[​IMG]

Once you add any additional text, you can then scan to the bottom of the post and click on the Create Thread button. If you are simply replying in a thread, this button will be the Reply button.

[​IMG]

If everything goes smoothly at this point, your image will appear like it does in the first reply to this post below. Good luck!

2. Vindibudd

Vindibudd VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Orlando
    [​IMG]

3. alaegator

alaegator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You used to be able to post an image file located on your hard-rive...is that no longer possible? Must it be posted first to an internet server with a unique URL?

4. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Temple Terrace
    It all depends. Do you want it to appear or not?

The real answer is that this old feature has stopped working reliably when the site moved to new servers. Sometimes the image taken from the local computer will appear and sometimes not.

I have never seen any confirmation that this is a known problem. This is like a lot of things on the site just an opinion.

The bottom line is that if you want your image to appear it needs to be on a web accessible server. I wish I could point you an image hosting service to use but all the ones of which I once knew no longer allowed linking through other sites.

5. alaegator

alaegator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Therein lies the rub...

6. LightMan

LightMan All American

Dec 5, 2010
    VA Beach
    What about a video not from Twitter or YouTube?

I have a link from Facebook but it tells me the specified URL cannot be embedded

7. Vindibudd

Vindibudd VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Orlando
    Don't know if it is possible to post videos from Facebook in general. They have their own code.

8. LakeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Temple Terrace
    As Vindibudd said, Facebook videos are embedded into their system and not directly accessible. The best way with is to link to the URL of the Facebook post that had the video, if possible.

YouTube videos are easy. Copy the URL for the video and then click on the Media icon in the editor panel and paste the URL into the box and shown below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Note, for extra credit, I used the YouTube querystring to specify how far into the video I wanted it to start.

9. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Imgur may be the best bet now.

I think Flickr may allow it too though.

10. Gatorbec

Gatorbec Recruit

Oct 11, 2010
    Vindi, my bud, or budd, I have a few pics on Imgur that I want to share on GC. Can you show the specific directions to do so? And do I need to make them “public” first on Imgur before I can share them? Thanks so much in advance for helping an old lady.

11. Vindibudd

Vindibudd VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Orlando
    I would imagine that you do need to make them public. I don't use imjur myself because I host my own websites.

12. gatorcloud

gatorcloud VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007

13. LakeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Temple Terrace
    The GIF below loaded just fine. A clue about the error you receive might help determine what the problem might be.

View attachment 39502

14. Nostradamus

Nostradamus VIP Member

Sep 18, 2015
    View attachment 39636
    Did u load the gif from a local drive or a url?

Here’s the message I get. Seems I can load an image but not a GiF. Weird

15. LakeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Temple Terrace
    You have to admit that error message gives a lot of information. Well, maybe you don't. :eek:

To answer your question, the GIF I uploaded was from my PC hard drive. It looks like you are using one of those new smart phone things I have heard so much about. ;)

Obviously, the error message is about as useless as my former wife thinks I was. The next thing I suggest is to see if the GIF you are trying is too large. I know there is a limit on the site but know it off the top of my rather empty head. Check to see the size difference between the GIF and JPG that worked. Try a GIF that is the same or smaller size as the JPG, assuming the 'offending' GIF is significantly larger.

We will wait with baited breathing to see how that experiment goes.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.