Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

How to beat Georgia (Dooley)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorjjh, May 3, 2020.

1. wyldcrocodyl

wyldcrocodyl Recruit

Nov 29, 2014
    Perhaps he could say go "all Meyer" on them. After the 2007 loss to Georgia, Micky Marriotti had the defense doing long sets of 186 pushups to remind them of every yard Knowshon Moreno ran for. First play of the 2008 game, Brandon Spikes let him know that they had learned that lesson. It is my favorite play in Fla./Ga of all time!

Holding D'Andre Swift to 86 yards last year was a win. Fromm beat us. There is no way around that. They dedicated an extra lineman to protecting him and he was able to find Cager consistently. Those guys are gone, and hopefully we have the D-lineman necessary to punch through that O-line, which will be stacked once again.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

That is exactly how Steve Spurrier would look at it!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Welcome to SwampGas

• Like Like x 1
  4. gatrfanzz

gatrfanzz GC Legend

I still think two plays differently-one on O and one on D would have been a different outcome last season. I felt that the Gators gave that one away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Where you are wrong is that Saban DID spend the entire year year planning for the championship game against Florida and kept reminding his players of it. He had been out coached by Meyer and did not want it too happen again. They were better prepared, played against tendencies and dominated a team of equal strength. They had the will and better game planning by prepping against us every week.

Pell is irrelevant and was no Saban.

Dooley is right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Meyer's offense in 2009 was nowhere near what it was in 2008. For openers, Percy was gone. Every bit as significant, Dan Mullen was gone. . . .

. . . . and Urban Meyer was no Dan Mullen when it came to running an offense. We could see it all season long - all Meyer knew to do was put the team on Tim Tebow's shoulders and hope he could carry them. For 12 consecutive games Timmy was able to do it. . . . .

Nick Saban made it clear to his defense: keep Tebow in front of you - don't let him get past you. They didn't, and Meyer's offense crashed and burned.

I lived in Alabama at the time - that one hurt. But you could see it all season long. Without Dan Mullen at the wheel on offense, Urban Meyer became a very average head coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

I do not disagree. But it is also true we went undefeated otherwise (as unsatisfying as that felt with The Dazzler) It does not change the fact that Saban coached against Florida the entire year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jayhovah

Jayhovah GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2007
    I agree with this in principal, but would make the above correction. Urban has overseen major offensive firepower under many different coordinators... but was only 'pretty good' with the Dazzler and far below what our personnel was capable of at the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You can argue whether it was Dan Mullen leaving or Steve Addazio taking over as OC - either way it falls on Meyer. Losing Dan Mullen at the end of the 2008 season was a huge loss that Meyer never recovered from.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    So sad the refs couldn't seem to see it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships Premium Member

Sep 16, 2018
    Georgia’s offensive line. End of story

12. beemerthegator

beemerthegator All American

Dec 1, 2019
    The refs can certainly change the outcome of games depending on how they call or don't call holding. And they often set the tone early. I wasn't at the game this year so most plays I only saw what the TV replay folks wanted me to see.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. CadGator

CadGator Junior

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    You'd have to add and "demoralize them" to how Steve Spurrier looked at it!

• Like Like x 2
  14. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007

15. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I didnt say Saban didnt obsess, I've been around long enough, and seen enough football to know that you and Dooley are full of crap. Yes, it works sometimes, like when Meyer obsessed on Georgia after the 2007 game, or Saban obsessed on Florida after the 2008 game, or Pell obsessed on FSU after the 1979 Nd 1980 games, but it works less than 50% of the time. Think Fulmer obsessed on Florida? Think Goff obsessed on Florida? Think Donnan obsessed on Florida? All those guys had the talent to beat Florida, but they hardly ever did, even though you and Dooley probably cant figure out why. You start this obsession stuff, and it's about a half step to having that team, or coach "in your head", which is where Georgia seems to be right now. In your head.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. number1

number1 NBN Bracket Master

Oct 9, 2011
    We have finally cured our QB issues, now we have to get the run game to be a serious threat. A balanced offense will help take some of the juice out of Georgia's defense.

• Like Like x 1
  17. number1

number1 NBN Bracket Master

Oct 9, 2011
    Right, I don't agree with obsessing over one opponent because it can lead to your team trying to do too much in the game and lead to possible letdowns after the game. Maybe some coaches are able to do that because of the systems they have set in place (Saban) but I think every game should be seen as equal by the staff.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Gatorchip

Gatorchip All American

Feb 3, 2010
    Youre right about the offense for the season, but Harvin didnt play in the 2008 SECCG. It was all Tebow. He crushed it that game.

19. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Harvin was still a difference maker. However, you made my point about Dan Mullen - Harvin or no Harvin, our offense in 2009 was nothing like our offense in 2008.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I think Mullen esp. got obsessed with UGA in 2019, and it was to his detriment.
    The problem with getting too hyped up to play an opponent is when something bad happens, you tend to fall apart. There's too much pressure.
    IMO, this happened to us after we failed to convert that 4th and 1 on the opening drive of the game.
    We didn't respond well, but that was clearly a winnable game.

Other teams falling apart after obsessing are UT in 95, 96, and 97.
    96 especially- after we hit a TD on a 4th and 10, UT snapped, and we went ahead 35-0.
    I know fans think that a coach/ program obsessing over a team produces a good result- but it does not.

The Spurrier approach, frankly, was the best one. Going into the game confident but not cocky, and be confident in your ability to overcome even when something bad happens.

• Like Like x 1