Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Father's Day is coming.... Give your Dad a gift he’ll appreciate all year long and save up to $20!

This year, for a limited time and in limited quantities, you can take advantage of our Father's Day Special package and get a discount on top of it. This special won't be around long, so here's how to jump on it now -- click here for details!

How Police Unions Protect Racist Cops

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by studegator, Jul 23, 2020.

1. studegator

studegator GC Legend

Feb 24, 2008
    How Police Unions Protect Racist Cops

But he soon discovered that the number of white civilians being killed didn’t go up after police forces started unionizing.

“Once you see access to collective bargaining rights, you see a substantial uptick in non-white Americans being killed by officers in the range of about 50 to 70 a year. That’s a really substantial increase,” Gillezeau said, noting that the numbers are likely an undercount.

News
    Police union video quotes MLK to condemn “blue racism”
    Tess Owen
    “Our takeaway is that it looks like officers are actually bargaining in the United States for the ability to discriminate in their use of force,” he said.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Not surprised at all. They'll be in here deflecting with their usual "oMg nOt aLL cOpS aRe bAd" bs tho.

3. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Unions protect the worst employees, and it isn't just police unions. They need to be more like European unions that see management as their partner to help make things better instead of their enemy to villianize

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Exactly. Labor should have a seat at the boardroom table, not be in battle against it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Racism in policing is much bigger than unions. Police have long been protected, with or without union help. They're protected by city and state regulations that make it tough for police chiefs to fire officers or those which do not prevent hiring elsewhere. In fact, they're even protected when they get charged with crimes such as with juries and courts. Or in other words, they're protected because we live in a racist society that has always protected them against racism.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Of course. We all know the origins of police.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This study was done in Canada.

8. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Well, I guess we'll have to adopt industrial democracy then.

9. shaun10

shaun10 Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    If the topic is unions, then stay on point. And I would agree there needs to be some level of reform. I don't really know enough about it to speak intelligently on it. Having said that, there ARE many good officers, and the fact that there are police unions does not make those officers racist officers or bad people.

10. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    The FOP in Chicago defended Jason Van Dyke to the very end for shooting Laquan McDonald 16 times. He emptied an entire magazine from his Glock, reloaded and then fired two more shots. Most of those shots were fired after Laquan was already on the ground. Van Dyke was the first Chicago cop to go on trial for killing someone on duty in 50 years. That's how powerful that union is.

The video is every bit as disturbing as the one documenting George Floyd's torture and death, except it played out faster. It had the same effect on me. I wanted to scream "Somebody stop him."

11. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2020
    I don't think there is a larger percentage of racist people in the police force as there is in any other profession but for obvious reasons, it is the one profession that needs to be rid of such people. If a grocery store manager is racist he is not in a position to cause problems in the community.

Ridding the population of racists would be the obvious goal but I'm not sure how you go about doing that, except maybe one person/mind at a time.

12. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Any profession? That's almost certainly not true (indeed the FBI has warned of white supremacist infiltration of police forces, not many warnings about grocery store workers!), and I think the nature of the profession is one that attracts the kind of people who might enjoy pushing people around and employing violence, whether they have a particular racial animus or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    i think the metrics for getting rid of cops should be how they perform their duty, which would include how they interact with the public. From a race perspective, are they treating the public differently based upon race, religion, gender, etc.

The subjective criteria of declaring someone a 'racist', should not be a factor in this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ssplasma

ssplasma Premium Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Philip Turner, here in Texas has done more to improve the police/public interaction than any politician. He films the police and got roughed up. His case went all the way to the 5th Circuit court of Appeals and he won. What was once a confrontational Austin police force is now one of the friendliest. See this link.
    Texas Man who won Landmark Lawsuit to Record Cops now Welcomed by Cops to Record