Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

How messed up is our healthcare system?

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    These kinds of responses address the problems in other countries, not the ones in ours. These kinds of myopic responses totally ignore the problems with our system - problems that will bankrupt America - and assume America cannot find a bette solution. These kinds of responses ignore the wishes of the majority of Americans for a better system and the democrats' attempts to improve it, and the GOP's opposition to any attempt to improve it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    You're just comparing one inequitable system to another inequitable system. Other countries that have a national healthcare system in place still have doctors that you can access if you need additional services. You can still pay money to get what you want.

3. altalias

altalias GC Hall of Fame

Aug 13, 2008
    I have a unique perspective on our health care system. My daughter has a PhD in a type of medicinal chemistry. She does research for a university in Chicago. While she was in grad school in order to live in a safe area close to the medical district she rented out her spare bedroom through the university. Through her I have met students doing rotations not only from all over the U.S. but from all over Europe. I have discussed our health care system with (aspiring) surgeons from Sweden and GPs form Germany. I have found what learned fascinating and often counterintuitive.
    If someone would like to have an intelligent discussion I would join in but "health care is free all over the world" and the democrats want to improve health care and the GOP opposes improving health care is identifying your tribe and I have no interest.
    Caveat: I have no idea how we got here neither do I have any idea how to fix it. I can identify some of the problems. Access is not the only problem.

• Like Like x 2
  4. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Not sure if anyone remembers, the recent recipient of the Medal of Freedom threatened on his radio program to move to Costa Rica if the ACA was enacted. The legislation passed Congress and was signed into law and Rush Limbaugh still resides at his estate in Palm Beach. Not that Rush ever had any intention of blessing the American people by becoming an ex-patriot, but the statement also reflected his ignorance since Costa Rica actually has a more comprehensive national healthcare system than that provided under the ACA.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Every healthcare system has pros and cons of some sort. But I've never met anybody from another developed country that would trade their healthcare system for what we have here. Not one. In fact, our healthcare system is often the butt of jokes for people I've met.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You need to put an asterisk to the word free. In many countries, they are experiencing extremely high waiting periods with wait times into the months and even up to a year. It's so bad in many places that when you do have surgery, you never even see the doctor until 5 minutes before. You really want to to have open heart surgery without ever meeting with the doctor first? These surgeons are doing surgeries usually in rapid fashion so if yours is going to be longer than expected, they stop and move on to the next patient and the resident finishes. Now for other services - it takes months, sometimes over a year to see a doctor. You have a sinus infection? You have to wait months to see your doc in places like Brazil and Thailand, which many tout as better HC than the US.

I think I'll keep what I have.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Do you really think if the US went to single payer, we'd instantly become comparable to Thailand? Ask a Canadian or Brit ... sure, you might hear some complaints, but then follow up by trying to sell them on the idea on how great the American system is ... "Geez, for just $2,500 a month you can get your family a policy with a $16,000 deductible and have the opportunity to pay $46,000/yr out of pocket before the first penny of insurance kicks in, all for average results, how's that sound???"

I bet no one would be interested ....

BTW ... looks like the US ranks near the bottom when it comes to 1-2 day appointments being available.

acesss.jpg

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    For the dogpile of "c'on mans" peep this.

Limbaugh’s 30 Years of Lies and Fear | Washington Monthly

| PolitiFact

PolitiFact | Rush Limbaugh

and...

Rush Limbaugh - RationalWiki

But according to DJT logic, data don't matta. It's amazing how a whole lot of people will not tolerate lies from some people, yet slurp it up from those that tell them what they want to hear.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Not sure if anyone remembers, the biggest issue regarding NAFTA in Canada was the possibility that Canada would have to give up its single-payer healthcare system so that US health insurance companies could do business in Canada. Although there is dissatisfaction with single-payer systems in Canada and the UK, virtually no citizens of those countries want to replace their single-payer systems with an American style system. They want their systems improved not replaced.

• Like Like x 1
  10. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Its funny the big banks were the biggest Obama contributor in 2008...

11. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Sure they do..... and they want the other guy to pay for it....

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    And they can always cross the border for their emergency Bypass also... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    This x1000. While it may seem like such a simple retort, what is more important than the personal health of you and your family? Hell, they don't even have to go to China. Move to Canada or if the cold bothers you, move to Mexico. You could easily live close enough to the border where a drive to see your family in the States wouldn't be overly arduous. It's a valid question. Anyone comparing us to a 2nd or 3rd would country is a fool, because while they may have good healthcare (debatable still), the rest of their quality of life sucks, otherwise they wouldn't be 2nd or 3rd world countries.

Our healthcare system isn't perfect. No countries is. It's also worth mentioning our patient pool is very far from perfect. Go figure. In fact, probably more so than any other 1st world country that has more affordability and the same level of care. People generally don't overeat much in France, for example. Our obesity rate here pretty high, for starters. Not to mention that American companies are often the ones at the forefront in pharmaceutical innovation and the rest of the world simply copies our recipes in many cases. Somebody has to pay for and do all that high end research. Perhaps Mr. Trump should sign an EO ending a vast majority of pharmaceutical research here in the U.S. and put the burden on all these countries living high off the hog? Even I wouldn't go for that though, because the other countries won't buck up sufficiently.

• Like Like x 1
  14. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    I find it amusing the posters on Medicare complaining about universal healthcare. I'm sure the irony is lost, though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Could be because the big banks were tetering on collapse. I worked with and for banks...

BOA stock dropped like a boulder in 2009. I was employed by them at the time, trying to warn management not to buy Countrywide but what do I know Sargeant? The monkeys at corporate scored bigly and yugely, and the rest of us got financially sodomized. MAGA.

upload_2020-2-18_10-0-10.png

Attached Files:

16. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    OR they knew their gooses were cooked and wanted the new Admin on their side when the shit hit the fan....
    Notice how few went to jail?

For the record I blame people buying homes they knew they couldn't afford just as much as the crooks that created and passed the bad paper around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    What do you pay a month in health care right now?

• Like Like x 1
  18. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    If Trump were to do this/work with house D's and significantly reduce drug prices, it would guarantee his re-election.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Oh please. Can't you ever stop your absurd anti-Trump rants?

Our health care system has been what it is for decades with both repubs and dims in the white house. Our mistake was made back in the mid-20th century when we did not adopt a health care program to provide coverage and curb rising health care and prescription costs. Now, the genie is out of the bottle, and no way can we provide free universal health care without bankrupting our country.

20. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Point one, I agree with you. If the banks didn't get the bailouts they were toast. And we don't even want to know how bad it would get if that happened.

Point two, I disagree that the buyers/borrowers "knew" they couldn't afford the loans as much as the lenders. The buyers/borrowers had every reason to believe the licensed/certified professionals that demonstrated how they could. How in the world can someone claim that those savvy first time home buyers knew more about mortage lending than the professionals in the field??? For the first time borrowers, it's their first loan, by definition. For the mortgage broker, it's Tuesday. They have thousands of loans and years if not decades under their belt, and they know how to game the system. But the first timer knows better. DJT logic at it's finest.