Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

How many more transfers?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by twodaparty, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Singaporegator

Singaporegator GC Hall of Fame

Steve Nash.....is that you?

2. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    He seems like a great kid but he didn’t progress much and can’t handle the ball. We’ve upgraded at guard with the transfers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Just imagine if Jitoboh put in the work like Mann did last summer. He could dominate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. 67walkon

67walkon Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    JJ had the best hands of any of our big guys this year. Hopefully he can contribute 12-15 minutes next year. But not as a ball handler. On the other hand, imagine a 6''1", 180 pound defender deciding whether to try to draw a charge if JJ was dribbling down court with a full head of steam!

Hell, give him some minutes at pg. Whats the worst that could happen?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC

• Like Like x 2
  6. gator10

gator10 All American

Nov 23, 2015
    How many more transfers? Hopefully none. We need to recruit good high school players instead. This will all backfire. Filling up with lower level power 5 and mid-major players is not going to get us championships. Alabama and Kentucky are building with good high school players. I know Uk didn’t make the tournament this year but they have several championships under cal and they will get more.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. KSAGator

KSAGator GC Legend

Jan 26, 2014
    Mexico
    certainly agree that developing HS talent is the way to build champion teams. On the other hand, we’ve lost the players we’ve lost—saying that he should leave spots on the roster open rather than filling them with the (very good) transfer prospects we are getting is just silly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Chompsuey

Chompsuey Senior

Oct 17, 2011
    Just say you hate White or don't follow sports. He has 1 and that was more Anthony Davis than Cal. Transfers are equivalent to 1 and done. Sure you want 3-4 year players but you also sprinkle in impact transfers or 1 and done type.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I don't see much difference between one year with seasoned grad transfers (White) and one year with highly touted freshmen ( Calipari).

What I do see as an ongoing problem is how many freshmen leave our program after just a year and how that might deter potential four year guys to commit.

Not sure, White and Mullen position the University of Florida as an outstanding place and value to get a graduate degree, but I like the experience of a Stewart Reese, who might be drafted by the NFL, but is looking well beyond when his playing days are over.

10. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Not sure this is still true in today’s game.

11. KSAGator

KSAGator GC Legend

Jan 26, 2014
    Mexico
    I think it is still true, but works differently. It was once the case that even future NBA stars at Duke were expected to graduate and shamed by fans for not doing so. Now you have something like tiers of players and tiers of teams with intermixing. Kentucky is the obvious example of just pursuing the best talent without any real thought of development. You have very good, perennial powers who mix top-tier players with those who need to be developed. You have other very good teams with consistent success that focus on development, chemistry, fit, etc.—and perhaps supplement with a one-and-done or transfer now and then.

But as between having players who commit to a system and improve year-on-year, while gaining experience and maturity, on the one hand, and reloading with multiple transfers annually, on the other, ANY COACH would prefer the former. Let’s give credit to CMW for his ability to fill his roster. But let’s not pretend that it is some sort of long term strategy or preference—that this is “all part of the plan”.

frankly, I don’t care as long as he wins. We have a bunch of new players and I’ll cheer for them next year. I don’t need to complain about them or denigrate the quality of their previous competition before they even take to the court.

12. tim

tim Premium Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    I think several of the transfers have more than 1 year remaining.

13. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Well with the free year and now the one transfer waiver looking very likely moving forward, transfers will undoubtedly play a major role in recruiting. The number of overall transfers will increase percentage-wise similar to how we saw grad transfer numbers increased.