Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

How Florida Can Recapture Pick And Roll Magic

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Efawcett7, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett VIP Member GC Columnist

Oct 7, 2014
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. mogator1

mogator1 Premium Member

Feb 8, 2019
    Good article Eric and very informative as always!!
    Question for you- why have we seemingly gone away from playing Payne alongside KB???
    Not only from your numbers but just watching the games they seemed effective together.
    Kerry, especially how we are using him, seems a better 4 than 5. And OP is a rim protector on D, which we really need. Any idea on why CMW doesn't seem to like this combo?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Efawcett7

Oct 7, 2014
    I really don't know, White said right after Payne got out of the starting lineup that he wasn't looking good in practice, something he takes very seriously. I think based on his performance on the court he has deserved a regular shift

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Superior sports journalism, once again! Article packed with research, facts and then disseminated in an easy to read style! CMW needs you on staff! ( and allow you to still write for GC.com!!)

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    A well-executed pick-and-roll is my favorite play in basketball and a great leveler of talent at the college level. I think I saw us do it just once against UK. Gotta get back to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    LSU always in attack mode and successful getting to the line and converting. Watch out for Emmett Williams, who I wish had come to Florida.

We need our three backup bigs to play aggressive when they are in. They have up to 15 fouls to give when Blackshear is resting

• Like Like x 1
  7. VTGator

VTGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    Another very informative piece Eric.
    One thing's for sure, Noah should not take any more shots off the dribble until he has a chance to work on it during the offseason.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Efawcett7

Oct 7, 2014
    I agree about it being a favorite play. There is something so satisfying about running a pick and roll, something everyone knows is coming, yet unable to stop

9. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    It takes practice and timing and a little bit of mindreading. Andrew and Kevarrius were becoming quite good at it last year.

• Like Like x 1
  10. g8trdave

g8trdave It's Great to Be a Florida Gator!!! VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lawrenceville, GA
    The play they were running against UKYjelly with Blackshear receiving the ball up top and AN trying to roll to the basket was weird. I hope we threw that play out of the book, far enough away where we don't ever see it again.

11. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Pick and roll is the oldest play in the game. Nowadays pick and pop is the go to play but we don't have a Matt Bonner.

Matt did sometimes do the pick and roll just to keep the other team honest.

• Like Like x 1